Author Topic: How does trading/buying guitars online work?  (Read 2315 times)

Lamtaylor999

How does trading/buying guitars online work?
« on: July 01, 2019, 12:47:17 AM »
So I have severe GAS, and I was curious how grading guitars online work? Like what is the process?
Do we just hope in good faith everyone mails the guitar they are trading? What about buying? Do we just transfer money through PayPal and hope they send the guitar? Seems very risky to me.
“Greatness? Greatness is what you do with the hand your dealt.”- Sully

2015 BTO GA Premium Sitka/Amazon rosewood
2012 114e Sitka/walnut

SDTaylorman

Re: How does trading/buying guitars online work?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 11:04:47 AM »
I've never "traded" guitars online but I have made purchases. Just like any other buy-sell online transaction you should try to buy from a reputable site and/or reputable person. Check the return conditions carefully before any purchase and yes, generally a credit card or PayPal so you have some protection should the deal go wrong. Not so risky if you take some simple precautions IMHO.

Violeiro

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »
So I have severe GAS, and I was curious how grading guitars online work? Like what is the process?
Do we just hope in good faith everyone mails the guitar they are trading? What about buying? Do we just transfer money through PayPal and hope they send the guitar? Seems very risky to me.

That is pretty much it when buying from private person. Research the person you a dealing with, specially if you are the one sending the trading item or money first. Scammers usually have low post counts on forums, some people have done many deals online and have great feedback. Do a bit detective work - look them up on social media, etc.
Psalm 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 12:20:36 PM »
it is a little bit of trust and faith, sometimes.

i had an amazing experience with a guitar purchase on reverb, the guitar was mint and was packed incredibly well. my friend, bought a guitar on reverb and the guitar was as described, but the seller shipped the guitar in the original hard shell case, not in a shipping box. reverb has guides on how to ship a guitar, and even sells boxes, but obviously that seller didn’t know or care

there are both private sellers and companies online..let us know if we can help you on a specific guitar
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 02:10:15 PM »
I've never done an online trade and don't expect that I ever would. Just sounds too iffy. However, if I was advising someone else who was dead set on a trade, I'd recommend doing a double sale using PayPal if meeting in-person is completely out of the question...

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 02:29:51 PM »

..let us know if we can help you on a specific guitar

Echoing zeebow, I'd love to know what you're gassing for, especially after having just acquired that beautiful Amazon rosewood GA....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Lamtaylor999

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 05:24:06 PM »
To be quite honest, i have a problemI’ve been looking at the 614ce BE and a custom shop Sinker redwood/Honduran rosewood and in order for me to acquire it I would have to trade in my Amazon rosewood and some cash for either guitar, a substantial amount more so for the redwood sinker. I have been mulling it over for sometime. This is more over for looks rather than sound because at best both guitars would sound as good as the amazon rosewood. In essence I’m just seeking advice on this type of situation, any insight on if you guys went through what I am going through right now, and what would you do in my situation?

2012 114e Sitka/walnut

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 05:35:39 PM »
To be quite honest, i have a problemI’ve been looking at the 614ce BE and a custom shop Sinker redwood/Honduran rosewood and in order for me to acquire it I would have to trade in my Amazon rosewood and some cash for either guitar, a substantial amount more so for the redwood sinker. I have been mulling it over for sometime. This is more over for looks rather than sound because at best both guitars would sound as good as the amazon rosewood. In essence I’m just seeking advice on this type of situation, any insight on if you guys went through what I am going through right now, and what would you do in my situation?

that’s tough. sinker/honduran are pretty rare. i’m biased, i’m not a big maple fan, and i love darker tone taylors. that sinker/honduran rosewood taylor prob sounds incredibly warm - that’s the one i would go for.

and i sent you a pm, but you should call that shop!!
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 05:54:39 PM »
I agree with zeebow- if you're going to lose that Amazon rosewood beauty, I would only consider the sinker redwood one as a good alternative - especially if you like the sound of your current guitar. A sinker top will sound quite different than the spruce top you currently have - it will have a darker, almost husky voice with ample bass and volume. The 614 will have more brightness and brilliance. I love my 614 V class, but it could never be my only guitar....

Lamtaylor999

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 08:41:15 PM »
Well, after a ten minute turned two hour session with Diana, I have a new found love for her and will not be selling her.  ;D

2012 114e Sitka/walnut

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 09:26:56 PM »
Good on you! As I said in an earlier post, Diana is a very special guitar.  You've won the G.A.S battle - for now! Glad it worked out for you....

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 11:00:54 PM »
I've never done an online trade and don't expect that I ever would. Just sounds too iffy. However, if I was advising someone else who was dead set on a trade, I'd recommend doing a double sale using PayPal if meeting in-person is completely out of the question...

Just for the record, I bought my Taylor 458e-R 12 string from jrporter. This was the first time I bought a guitar 'blind' and unheard. I am very pleased with the guitar, but I am more pleased with the seller. What sealed the deal was talking on the phone together. He cleared my doubts about the transaction (being a Taylor guitar didn't hurt). And while we talked money, it was more about transfer of same than anything else. He offered what I thought a very fair price and I didn't haggle about it. And I think it arrived in an even better condition than what he stated in his 'for sale' thread. I consider it 'near mint'. Certainly better than most stuff you find on the wall in many guitar shops.

From what I gather he has done many sales and purchases privately, and I would certainly pay attention to any advice he may offer.

Don
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

StrummingMadMan

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 12:11:54 PM »
I just recently did a trade through the other forum. We just exchanged contact info and talked and sent pics until we were both comfortable. We shipped on the same day and swapped tracking numbers. Both of us ended up quite pleased.
414-L2 (2003)
614ce (2015)
810e DLX (2015)
K24ce (2015)
516e-FLTD (2013)
Gibson J-15 (2016)
Larrivee L-05 (2018)
Larrivee OM-40R (2018)
Martin D-18 (1959) -my grandpa, then dad's guitar
Rockbridge SJ - German Spruce/Cocobolo (2011)

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 04:59:06 PM »

Just for the record, I bought my Taylor 458e-R 12 string from jrporter. This was the first time I bought a guitar 'blind' and unheard. I am very pleased with the guitar, but I am more pleased with the seller. What sealed the deal was talking on the phone together. He cleared my doubts about the transaction (being a Taylor guitar didn't hurt). And while we talked money, it was more about transfer of same than anything else. He offered what I thought a very fair price and I didn't haggle about it. And I think it arrived in an even better condition than what he stated in his 'for sale' thread. I consider it 'near mint'. Certainly better than most stuff you find on the wall in many guitar shops.

From what I gather he has done many sales and purchases privately, and I would certainly pay attention to any advice he may offer.

Don

Thanks Don....