Author Topic: FOUND Elixirs Kottke medium sets for 12 string  (Read 1282 times)

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
FOUND Elixirs Kottke medium sets for 12 string
« on: March 19, 2023, 12:09:16 PM »
 :) Found them! Thanks, all

Elixir medium 12 string sets (Kottke)
Hey gang

I am hoping someone here may have an extra set or three of the now discontinued Elixir Kottke style mediums for 12 string

Since I just scored a primo 95 LKSM 12, which I intend to tune Down to C# or even C

I know it is possible to use a six string medium set and add singles but thought I would try here first.

Happy picking to all

Paul
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 04:06:50 PM by Guitars44me »

Kevin Zufall

Re: Want to buy. Elixirs Kottke medium sets for 12 string
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 06:47:33 PM »
Hey Paul. I only use Elixir strings, yet, they do not make the Medium strings you are looking for.
Daddario makes very similar strings -

https://www.daddario.com/products/guitar/acoustic-guitar/phosphor-bronze/ej39-phosphor-bronze-12-string-acoustic-guitar-strings-medium-12-52/

Kevin
Kevin W. Zufall

1995 Taylor 855
1998 Taylor K22

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 02:47:33 PM »
Paul, no real help here.  Good luck in your quest.

The only set of mediums (54-12) that I have ever used were a medium gauge twelve string set that came on an Emerald  carbon fiber twelve string.  Tuned to standard pitch, the tension was a whopping 335 pounds (versus 250 pounds for a typical 47-10 light gauge set).  Boy was that a handful to play, even though that guitar could actually handle the tension.  Those were an uncoated set of D'Addario EJ-37 and were removed after a day.  (Odd factoid:  if you removed the octave strings, you basically end up with a typical light gauge 54-12 set).  You are tuning down to about the same overall tension as a light gauge set, and the mediums you seek would be correct.  But there was apparently not enough demand for Elixir to keep that set in production.

All I can suggest is Just Strings or Strings by Mail and see if you can build your own sets using bulk strings.  On my twelve string, I use GHS White Bronze and that nickle set lasts almost as long as coated strings for me.  But those are not available in the heavier gauge either.  They don't work well tuned down below D-d.    https://www.juststrings.com/ghstwelvestringguitarwhite.html

Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 11:52:49 PM »
Thanks Kevin and Earl.

I intend to tune this boss beast down to C or C#, so no worries about blowing it up.  If I want to play in D or E I will just capo up.  Thank goodness for capos!