Author Topic: all mahogany vs. spruce/mahogany guitar  (Read 17585 times)

ggj

Re: all mahogany vs. spruce/mahogany guitar
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »
I know Taylor offers a GS series that is a cedar top/mahogany body.  Any thoughts on volume/tone differences?
GGJ

Living in the light of God's presence
________

mescobar

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 02:24:21 PM »
The best way I know to describe the cedar/mahogany G5 is that it's warm and loud. The cedar does however seem to "top out" unlike the Spruces. If you want the cedar/mahogany combo sound with less break up (when you strum hard) you might consider Sinker Redwood or Redwood as the top. I find them to be somewhere between Cedar and Englemann.
Taylors:
Custom GACE 12 fret (All Hog)
Custom GA (Sinker/Hog)
Custom DN (Adi/Rose)
LTD GACE 12 fret (Koa)
T5C2 (M.Ebony)
616ce (Maple)
PS16CE (Coco)

Others:
Martin Bellezza Bianca
Breedlove Phoenix
Martin Custom 000-18GE
Martin OMCE Mahogany
PRS Starla
PRS Artist V
PRS ME Quatro

darylcrisp

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 04:59:54 AM »
I know Taylor offers a GS series that is a cedar top/mahogany body.  Any thoughts on volume/tone differences?

i picked up a 516ce(cedar top, mahogany back/sides) and i've found it to be an awesome all around guitar. it has a deep bass and very smooth sound thru the string set. i use it primarily for fingerstyle but it takes a pick fine. its not as sharp as a similar model with a spruce top, but the GS shape gives you plenty of horsepower-its much more dramatic than the 514's i have played. i tend to like sitka and adi tops, but this one stole my heart!
i think these 516's are sleeping giants in taylors lineup.
d

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 10:13:41 AM »
Anyone here have anything to share about all mahogany guitars?  I'm most interested in what an all mahogany guitar would bring to the table vs. a spruce/mahogany combo on the same model.  All I've seem to have found is that the all mahogany would be "darker", which I interpret as more midrange.  Would an all "hog" be possibly overloaded with overtones as well?
i had a 99 314mce (mahogany top/sapele back & sides) & i never 'drove it as hard' as a 01 314ce, but to me it
had a more even response, especially through the mids & it did not seem as articulate or 'sparkly' as the 314

i had a D-05 all 'hog which sounded brighter & 'airier' overall, but i traded it to a person
in order to get a friend's guitar back to my friend's parents, after he had passed away

also had a couple of older of 'whole hog' martin J-15s (neck too, with RW board/bridge) & with the bracing pattern
being different than a more conventional scalloped X, they were much more 'lively', to my ear, than the 314mce

if you're looking to give an all mahogany Taylor a try & you're comfortable with the GC body,
i'd suggest keeping an eye out for a mid 90's 412-m (all satin finish, pinless bridge), as these
'little guys' were extremely responsive, imho, even when not driving the top particularly hard,
with great definition & a even, 'rich' overall tone, with a bit less 'sparkle' & smoother mids :)

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/