Author Topic: Taylor gs mini  (Read 1261 times)

beedee

Taylor gs mini
« on: April 02, 2019, 01:36:23 PM »
I have a small left hand disability, which renders me unable to fully chords with have a stretch! I know the guitar is strung with 13s, but when I tried reducing the gauge of string to 11s to help me overcome the problem I have, the guitar won't tune or stay in tune!! Does anybody know why this is and how to overcome it? All advice would be brilliant!!

Violeiro

Re: Taylor gs mini
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 03:45:23 PM »
Stretch the strings. How long ago have you changed and what strings?

Just in case, here is a video where they mentioned stretching to keep in tune
https://youtu.be/80EuGOXgoOo
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 03:47:26 PM by Condition1 »
Psalm 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.

beedee

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 06:08:02 PM »
Thank you so much for your kind reply! The strings are Elixir 13s and were installed about 4 weeks ago! I did all of the normal locking and stretching of the strings, but to me, the action is pretty high off the fretboard, but I hate mucking about with truss rod settings!

Violeiro

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 08:09:21 PM »
You thought you replaced them with 11s. I cannot play 13s well, I cannot fret them well
Psalm 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 05:37:12 AM »
Thank you so much for your kind reply! The strings are Elixir 13s and were installed about 4 weeks ago! I did all of the normal locking and stretching of the strings, but to me, the action is pretty high off the fretboard, but I hate mucking about with truss rod settings!
Per Taylor, when you change out the mediums with lights, you may need a slight truss rod adjustment. It sounds like a good setup might fix your problem.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

beedee

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 01:25:30 PM »
Sorry I should have said that I tried 11s on it, but could not keep it in tune! I then replaced them with 13s again! I thought I'd persevere but it was impossible! Thank you!! I think  a guitar tech is the way to go! Thank you all for your kind replies

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 03:44:22 PM »
One thing that is easy to is tune your 13's down by a half step (to Eb) or even a whole step to D-d across the board.  That reduces string tension noticeably for easy play and is only problematic when playing along with others in standard tuning.

And don't be afraid of truss rod adjustments.  Just go slowly, no more than a quarter turn at a time, and keep track of how many adjustments you've made from the start.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

floyd80

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 09:37:51 AM »
You might also want to consider the Elixir Polyweb 13's.  I have those currently on my GS Mini, and they seem a bit easier on the fingers.  I like the tone as well.