Author Topic: Another Amp Question - Thread  (Read 1727 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Another Amp Question - Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »
One last question,

Need cables and wanted to ask for recommendations. These are the few I've been leaning towards.
Just asking... because I don't know the difference between good or bad cables. And researching on the site made my dizzy as there are too many cables companies to choose from.

Reverb cables - $7 (10ft. 1/4")
D'Addario Planet Waves American Stage Instrument Cable - $18 (10 ft. 1/4")
Monster classic cables - $20 (12ft. 1/4")

All straight on straight. Any input would greatly be appreciated!

There is real science in cables, as well as a whole bunch of hogwash and ad-spin.  Look up "capacitance" with regard to instrument cables.  Not to mention shielding to reject RF, handling, and other noise.  Then there's the end jacks which range from works-right-now-but-cheesy and will cause noise or outright fail, to superb, silent, and reliable over years of road use.  My take on yeeaaears of playing, gleaning solid advice, and real use:

- Monster is well-marketed and overpriced fluff.  The only thing in their favor is their guarantee where you can go into any GC and "warranty" a bad cable for new one.  But given their price and performance, you are paying for that warranty and using a genuinely mediocre cable every moment you're not utilizing the warranty.
- Planet Waves (aka Dunlop) is solid stuff, far cheaper than Monster and good quality which makes it a great general-purpose cable, IMHO.  And if one goes bad, buy another and fix that one and keep as a spare.
- Don't know about Reverb cables, bust stay away from really cheap ones as it is a false economy, IME.

My go-to for cables is:
- Good cable, such as Mogami, which is a great "value" given its price, low capacitance, and good durability. You can pay more for lower capacitance if you like, but Mogami is a great place to start.
- Good ends.  My personal preference is Neutrik, but there are numerous other makes that have stood the test of time and proven themselves.

It really is too easy to spend well on a great guitar, amp, etc. then go cheap on the very medium that connects it all together.  Likewise, it's easy to geek out about cables as, like many things, there is a point of diminishing returns when one spends "that" much.  Don't overthink it, shoot for the middle, and you'll be plenty fine!!  Hope that gives you a few things to chew on :)

Edward

ak4seven

Re: Another Amp Question - Thread
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 03:58:18 PM »
Thanks Edward!

Yeah... I got the planet waves american stage ones. Got my amp last week and... man, it's a lot louder than I thought ti was going to be. I really like the sound that comes out too. I wanted to ask any loudbox mini owners out there something. I noticed a smell coming out of the amp. This is my first and only amp purchase so maybe it's just normal, but wanted to ask. Do all amps have a smell (kind of like heat, not burning but hot air smell)? Just wondering if this should be a concern. Thanks everyone!