Poll

What electronics/pre-amp are you using in your Taylor acoustic ? (steel string or nylon)

ES Ver 3.0 9V 1 body sensor, discrete pre-amp
24 (33.3%)
ES Ver 2.0 9V 2 body sensors
11 (15.3%)
ES ver 1.0 2AA
5 (6.9%)
ES 'Stealth' or ES-NC ('no-cut')
2 (2.8%)
ES Retrofit NT (added to no E)
1 (1.4%)
ES Retrofit NT (Fishman repl)
1 (1.4%)
ES Retrofit pre NT (added to no E)
0 (0%)
ES Retrofit pre NT (Fishman repl)
0 (0%)
K4 off-board pre-amp
3 (4.2%)
ES-T (07- current)
5 (6.9%)
ES-Blue (03-06)
0 (0%)
ES-Go (GS Mini)
2 (2.8%)
Fishman Stereo Blender (01-03)
0 (0%)
Fishman OnBoard Blender (98-00)
0 (0%)
Fishman Prefix Plus (01-02)
1 (1.4%)
Fishman Prefix (97-00)
2 (2.8%)
Fishman Matrix UST (active 9V or passive)
4 (5.6%)
Fishman AGP2
0 (0%)
Fishman Pocket Blender off-board pre-amp
0 (0%)
LR Baggs Hexaphonic (DDSM)
0 (0%)
LR Baggs Dual Source
0 (0%)
LR Baggs RTS II
0 (0%)
LR Baggs LB6
0 (0%)
other
5 (6.9%)
ES-N
0 (0%)
Fishman Prefix Pro Blend (NS5/up)
0 (0%)
Fishman Prefix Pro (NS3/4)
0 (0%)
other
6 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: POLL : What electronics/pre-amp are you using in your Taylor acoustic ?  (Read 8693 times)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
just wondering what electronics & pre-amp you are using in your Taylor (either steel string or nylon)

i believe that most  of the electronics that were available factory-installed are listed -
if i missed something, or if you are using other electronics (K&K, LR Baggs Anthem, iMix,
Element, iBeam, B-Band, PUTW, etc), please use the 'other' option & describe your system

what do you like about your pick up system (tone, ease-of-use, battery life, low-noise level, etc) ?

what situation do you use your guitar (single 'singer-songwriter', acoustic duet, full band, etc) ?

have fun :D

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:51:47 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

DMBfan41

Re: What electronics/pre-amp are you using in your Taylor acoustic ?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:08:53 PM »
My '04 L7 has the old ES with AA batteries.  I the sensors and board replaced a couple years back because one of the sensors went out and the local Taylor authorized service guys replaced it with a new system of the same setup.  Honestly, not sure I like it as I've been wanting to upgrade to the 9V system for a while.  Battery life seems ok but I really wish I had a way to monitor battery strength other than just by ear.  There have been a couple times right before going on in a service or function that I've had to change batteries because the sound was lacking.  My Martin OMC has a Fishman system with a battery monitor on it so I always know.  With the ES, I don't have that.  I play primarily at church as a worship leader in which I am running through a Fender Acoustasonic with a line out to the snake.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

kcnbys

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 07:20:44 PM »
I am using the JJB Electronics Prestige 330 pickup in both of my Taylors.  I run them through the K&K Pure XLR Preamp currently.  I am a church worship leader, so I use this setup with a full band, and take the signal through the preamp directly to the PA.  Very pleased.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:24:09 PM by kcnbys »
2019 Taylor 517
1997 Taylor 410
2019 Yamaha FS800

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »
My '04 L7 has the old ES with AA batteries.  I the sensors and board replaced a couple years back because one of the sensors went out and the local Taylor authorized service guys replaced it with a new system of the same setup.  Honestly, not sure I like it as I've been wanting to upgrade to the 9V system for a while.  Battery life seems ok but I really wish I had a way to monitor battery strength other than just by ear.  There have been a couple times right before going on in a service or function that I've had to change batteries because the sound was lacking.  My Martin OMC has a Fishman system with a battery monitor on it so I always know.  With the ES, I don't have that.  I play primarily at church as a worship leader in which I am running through a Fender Acoustasonic with a line out to the snake.

IMHO, you would do well to upgrade to the latest 2010 version.  I had the AA ES and it was ok, but required lots of EQ just to get it to sound "ok" (for my tastes).  The first 9v system is far better, and "livable" for me with some judicious EQing.  But the current version is better still, with significantly more natural sounding mids and highs.  Go straight into the board/snake and you're good to go.  I still use a Baggs Venue, but that's just me as I like a mute and tuner on hand.   But if you decide to keep your AA version, I'd personally try a good preamp (yes, I like the Venue, as well as the PADI which I had used for years) ...it will shape your tone much better than the Fender, IMHO.  And even if you upgrade to the ES later, it's still useful.

Edward

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 08:06:34 PM »
I am using the JJB Electronics Prestige 330 pickup in both of my Taylors.  I run them through the K&K Pure XLR Preamp currently.  I am a church worship leader, so I use this setup with a full band, and take the signal through the preamp directly to the PA.  Very pleased.
hi kcnbys,
i was curious if you have found it necessary to use a feedback buster with the JJB 330s,
or is the sound level on the platform low enough in order to get by without 'the buster',
by using in ear-monitors, no floor wedges & other instruments using DI/direct XLR outs

i've heard that the JB 330s are virtually identical to the K & K mini/Western series pick ups
(passive triple SBTs, technically BPTs Bridge Plate Transducers) available in 15 & 20 mm ... nice :)

support indie musicians

Bong Twang Ping

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 08:08:12 PM »
Taylor GSRC/GS7

Fishman Matrix Natural I UST through the original Fishman Aura Acoustic Imaging Blender.

I mainly use an image recorded from an Olson JT SJ (non-cut). I can't really say whether it sounds exactly like my guitar but louder, but I can say it's close and sounds excellent with no hint of piezo quack. I love that I can store the same image with different parameters (level, compression, EQ, phase and blend) in the program bank; I can notch up the volume just by ascending through the bank. The Aura also has a great tuner, and the 'Feedback Cancel' has proved invaluable on occasion.

It's a total pain to change the battery inside the guitar without seriously slackening the strings. I plan to install an AC jack adjacent to the strap button and make a custom leather battery pouch with a strap button hole tab. Battery life is pretty good but I'd like to be able to test and change it on the fly.

I play and sing covers, solo and with another guitarist and occasionally in a band situation in smallish venues.

I run through a Roland KC350 or direct to the house.

Bong

DMBfan41

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »

IMHO, you would do well to upgrade to the latest 2010 version.  I had the AA ES and it was ok, but required lots of EQ just to get it to sound "ok" (for my tastes).  The first 9v system is far better, and "livable" for me with some judicious EQing.  But the current version is better still, with significantly more natural sounding mids and highs.  Go straight into the board/snake and you're good to go.  I still use a Baggs Venue, but that's just me as I like a mute and tuner on hand.   But if you decide to keep your AA version, I'd personally try a good preamp (yes, I like the Venue, as well as the PADI which I had used for years) ...it will shape your tone much better than the Fender, IMHO.  And even if you upgrade to the ES later, it's still useful.

Edward

Much thanks for your input Edward.  I've wondered a lot about just using a DI instead of running through my amp.  While I use the amp as a monitor, having just a DI would great improve mobility when I play out and about.

Has anyone ever sent their guitar back to Taylor for an electronics upgrade?  I know they offer it in the service packages.  Any input about how long it takes and the value?
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »
I actually own four iterations of the ES system --

- 1st Gen 3v 2003 (original)
  - 2nd Gen 3v 2005/6 era (improved tone)
  - 1st Gen 9v 2008 (two sensors)
  - 2nd Gen 9v 2011 (one sensor, new EQ curve)

The latest version definitely sounds the best but, to be honest, it really doesn't take much to tweak the EQ on the first gen to calm the hot B and get it sounding even better. 

As a quick aside to the discussion, I played out Friday night and used my 916ce.  I got more compliments about how great it sounded through the house PA (basic Peavey system).  I attribute that 100% to the Expression System.  It just flat out works.
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 02:08:35 AM »

The latest version definitely sounds the best but, to be honest, it really doesn't take much to tweak the EQ on the first gen to calm the hot B and get it sounding even better. 

As a quick aside to the discussion, I played out Friday night and used my 916ce.  I got more compliments about how great it sounded through the house PA (basic Peavey system).  I attribute that 100% to the Expression System.  It just flat out works.
i was unaware that there was a significant change made to the ES in 05/06 :-[
sounds interesting & i was wondering if it was more along of the lines of a
revoiced pre-amp, a revised neck sensor or, perhaps, something else entirely ???

support indie musicians

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 03:07:12 AM »

Edward

Much thanks for your input Edward.  I've wondered a lot about just using a DI instead of running through my amp.  While I use the amp as a monitor, having just a DI would great improve mobility when I play out and about.

Has anyone ever sent their guitar back to Taylor for an electronics upgrade?  I know they offer it in the service packages.  Any input about how long it takes and the value?

Hey Chad,

A couple of things: your guitar can go into your DI (like the Baggs PADI or Venue) which will then go to the snake/board via balanced XLR nice and clean; but there is also a 1/4" out should you also want to use your Fender as a stage monitor.  At least this way, you are utilizing the much better preamp to shape your tone (and your FOH guy will likely be happier :) ), and the Fender is simply there for your personal monitor.

As for sending your guitar to Taylor, I personally wouldn't do it (unless maybe you were already taking it there for other reasons).   When I was considering it a couple o years ago, the factory wanted around $X to do the upgrade (actually, someone just recently told me it is now $X, but I did not personally confirm that); add in shipping/insurance costs which is a pretty penny, not to mention the mental anguish as it travels on big brown, and you're in pretty deep.

What I did (twice, that's how much I prefer the newest ES) was buy the whole system which consists of the preamp and body-sensor harness for around $X (you'll need to add in the cost of a 9v battery box at around $X, IIRC), and get one of their factory-authorized techs that is local to you to do the job.   No one can be more expensive than SoCal, and it cost me around $X labor ...likely even less if you don't live in the peoples republic of california.

Like I had mentioned, you may be satisfied with going to a good preamp to dial out the mids inherent to the 3v system: it's not undo-able and can get you satisfactory results.  But eq'd at its best, the 3v still has a "metallic" timbre that no parametric notching can completely alleviate; at least to my ears.  If you can swing it, the newest ES is the ticket to go, IMHO.

Edward
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:34:07 PM by UTGF-Team »

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 03:52:21 AM »
I have a K4 and while I still use it, most of the time when I play out these days it the ES straight into the PA and it sounds great. The K4 does help my Gibson J35 with fishman matrix sound superb into the pa also.
2009 Taylor 35th anniversary Cocobolo GS
2009 Taylor All Mahogany 8 string (modified from a 12 string).
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd
2000 Gibson L5 CES Custom

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 09:54:57 AM »

i was unaware that there was a significant change made to the ES in 05/06 :-[
sounds interesting & i was wondering if it was more along of the lines of a
revoiced pre-amp, a revised neck sensor or, perhaps, something else entirely ???

I know they revoiced the preamp on that iteration, and I *think* they may have done something to the mag underneck p'up as well to try to quiet down the hot B complaint.  Really not sure.  There is a definite tonal difference between true first gen (the '03 912ce) and the ES in my '06 K65ce.  I also had the TaylorStock retrofitted around that time.  Bob T. had hinted during the event that a new pickup system was coming and suggested that, unless necessary, it might be good to hold off on installing a system until the announcement was made later that year.  I waited a couple years and then had it installed.

I'm assuming I'll see Mr. Hosler at the booth later this week.  I'll ask him if he can fill in the timeline...
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

kcnbys

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:47:13 AM »
hi kcnbys,
i was curious if you have found it necessary to use a feedback buster with the JJB 330s,
or is the sound level on the platform low enough in order to get by without 'the buster',
by using in ear-monitors, no floor wedges & other instruments using DI/direct XLR outs

i've heard that the JB 330s are virtually identical to the K & K mini/Western series pick ups
(passive triple SBTs, technically BPTs Bridge Plate Transducers) available in 15 & 20 mm ... nice :)

We use an in-ear monitor system, so there is no issue whatsoever with feedback, and yes, the JJB pickup is practically identical to the K&K.
2019 Taylor 517
1997 Taylor 410
2019 Yamaha FS800

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 11:00:15 AM »
Both my 816ce and 714ce have 3rd iteration ES and I run them both through the K4 (although not at the same time...).  I love the warmth that the K4 adds to the tone and I tend to scoop out some of the 250hz frequency that the B string produces.  I get a very pleasant plugged in tone.  For my K&K PWM-equipped GS Mini, I run it through a DTAR Solstice, also with great success.  The Solstice is such a great unit for all things acoustic. 
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »
... and yes, the JJB pickup is practically identical to the K&K.

Hmmm, I wonder if you were the one who recommended these to me over on the AGF ...if so, thanks!  :)

I haven't gotten them yet but am planning to do so prob in the next few weeks.  But a question for you if you don't mind: did you go with the 20mm or the 15mm transducers?  And your thoughts on how sensitive these are to placement (I don't want to fuss ...I just wanna get em in there and hope it'll sound decent ;) ).  Any advice you may have I'd appreciate ...thanks!

Edward