Author Topic: lutz/cocobolo custom GC 12 fret, appointment help requested :)  (Read 9782 times)

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
first of all, i blame this entire thing on michaelw. he's a good friend and a horrible influence (he says so himself). the journey started bc i told him i wouldn't mind adding another gc 12 fret, but it had to be "different" than my sitka/eir. i didn't want another bling guitar (my 2011 914ce takes care of that)

we toyed around with A LOT of ideas. the next guitar had to look organic. i considered cedar, lutz or englemann to be my next top wood. but what back? macassar ebony? cocobolo? these woods weren't available.

well it turns out, why yes, cocobolo is available.

i threw everything at the custom worksheet, then the price came back and i scrapped all the stuff i know i didn't really care for. john at shoreline is awesome to work with. i told him i would put the project on hold, unless he could find  piece of wood that looked like another one they did, with sapwood...talked to a lot of people about this, michaelw, strumming fool, socalsurf, and davwir

so john emails me a set of wood that is exactly what i'm looking for, sapwood in the middle, red/orange/black heavy figured cocobolo (that doesn't look like a crazy alien or has eyes lol)

so i reduced my build sheet to get the price point to where i want it...roughly. i'd like to solicit help from the forum, it's almost a forum build thread :)

word on the street is that taylor has ALOT of cocobolo...something must be coming down the pipe

here are the appointments i'm 100% committed to:

lutz top
cocobolo b/s
gotoh 510 gold tuner with blk buttons
bone nut and saddle
regular mahogany neck, stained to match
cocobolo single ring rosette with bound soundhole (strumming fool, you're right, i love this and just need to pay for it)
no cutaway (i'm scared of the term crackabolo :), want something different...)
no electronics (i'm not a pro, i play awful at home :) )

so here is where i need help
bracing- planning performance bracing. 712ce 12 fret sounds fine and responsive enough for me, which has the lutz top

binding - i'm thinking cocobolo...but that means there would be no contrast ok the back and sides, but i think this would look great on an all ebony fretboard and all ebony headstock gloss with taylor abalone logo

or rosewood binding with cocobolo headstock and trc, all gloss

i considered ebony, but it's so much cheaper to just do black plastic, but i told myself i would never do a plastic or synthetic on a custom, so i have a feeling i would be annoyed every time i pick up a custom with it

i don't want koa bc i already have koa on my other gc 12 fret

fretboard: no inlays with smoky or plain ebony OR small abalone dots inlay with black inlays. i don't know if i like special ebony enough to pay for it

1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

davwir

• A Coco-nut
Re: lutz/cocobolo custom GC 12 fret, appointment help requested :)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 01:21:22 PM »
Awesome. Congrats. I like almost all of your choices.. Cocobolo is the best!
I agree no cutaway, fancy inlays or electronics are needed to make a great guitar

Personally (for MY tastes):
-I like a slot head on a 12 fret, just for aesthetic and classic reasons
-I would not do plastic binding on a nice custom guitar, go wood all the way (if not interested in Flamed Koa, which I think pops great, Ebony is always a good choice). Make sure to do binding around the headstock.
-I prefer the simple black ebony face on front of a headstock
-Go for the upgraded bracing, its minor and worth it in the end for both tone and resale value
-I like a shaded edgeburst on the front (sometimes) too.

You can also consider doing a 12 fret GA instead of GC. Its a rare combo, but I totally love it!

I don't think there is an upcharge for smoked/figured ebony on a custom, btw. Just have the dealer put the request in Notes area if requesting specific things (I have asked for things like "most flamed or figured" possible before on bindings, necks, etc. They will do their best to accommodate from what is available at the time)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:29:04 PM by davwir »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 04:14:13 PM »
On your three questions:

1. I think that performance bracing will work very well with your wood combo. Adi is okay, but probably not essential, to your point about the 712. It should provide a distinctive tone compared to your other great guitars.
2. I personally like the look of the same wood binding as the back/sides, like the old 900 series, provided there's a distinct purfling line or pinstripe between the binding and the body. And yes, it will look very elegant against an jet-black ebony fingerboard and headstock.
3. At last glance of the order sheet, I believe that special ebony is an upcharge. I've done it with good results, but it is a gamble, because you won't get a chance to see what you'll end up with. Small abalone inlays are classy and will compliment your Taylor logo nicely, but a plain jet black fretboard can provide a more organic look.

Enjoy the process, my friend!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:35:17 PM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:51:29 PM »
Awesome. Congrats. I like almost all of your choices.. Cocobolo is the best!
I agree no cutaway, fancy inlays or electronics are needed to make a great guitar

Personally (for MY tastes):
-I like a slot head on a 12 fret, just for aesthetic and classic reasons
-I would not do plastic binding on a nice custom guitar, go wood all the way (if not interested in Flamed Koa, which I think pops great, Ebony is always a good choice). Make sure to do binding around the headstock.
-I prefer the simple black ebony face on front of a headstock
-Go for the upgraded bracing, its minor and worth it in the end for both tone and resale value
-I like a shaded edgeburst on the front (sometimes) too.

You can also consider doing a 12 fret GA instead of GC. Its a rare combo, but I totally love it!

I don't think there is an upcharge for smoked/figured ebony on a custom, btw. Just have the dealer put the request in Notes area if requesting specific things (I have asked for things like "most flamed or figured" possible before on bindings, necks, etc. They will do their best to accommodate from what is available at the time)

thx. i like plain ebony headstocks and i think it would look sweet with coco
binding. i think a coco headplate may be busy

i considered a 12 fret GA but just love the GC body

i'm still undecided on bracing...but i'm def leaning more towards performance, especially since there isn't any pre-andy bracing with lutz that i can sample

i actually told myself i would do a burst finish...not sure what would look good and there isn't too much info that's readily available

does the burst cover up the standard binding on top? (the black white fibers)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 06:56:05 PM »
On your three questions:

1. I think that performance bracing will work very well with your wood combo. Adi is okay, but probably not essential, to your point about the 712. It should provide a distinctive tone compared to your other great guitars.
2. I personally like the look of the same wood binding as the back/sides, like the old 900 series, provided there's a distinct purfling line or pinstripe between the binding and the body. And yes, it will look very elegant against an jet-black ebony fingerboard and headstock.
3. At last glance of the order sheet, I believe that special ebony is an upcharge. I've done it with good results, but it is a gamble, because you won't get a chance to see what you'll end up with. Small abalone inlays are classy and will compliment your Taylor logo nicely, but a plain jet black fretboard can provide a more organic look.

you can take a tour and pick it probably ;)

i think the purfling line depends on which option you pick, but it defaults to the whole black fibers

i was actually thinking of getting the red purfling, i think that might look cool against the coco

you're right about the special ebony. i've seen some customs with it that would have def made me mad if it was mine

i asked shoreline to check to see if macassar ebony would be avail as a binding...THAT would be cool

jet black ebony fretboard with macassar binding and jet black headstock

i asked shoreline if they can do fret markers in abalone on top of the neck, i think that would be a cool touch but i'm contradicting myself with my organic theme lol
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 07:51:43 PM »

It does not cover any bindings or purflings on any of my guitars..

here is a quick example I saw online..
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:03:22 PM by davwir »

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 08:34:58 PM »

It does not cover any bindings or purflings on any of my guitars..

here is a quick example I saw online..

i leaning more and more towards red purfling
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 09:13:44 PM »
Zeebow-- Very stoked for you. A few thoughts below:

1) I would highly recommend the abalone fret markers. They are very subtle but extremely aesthetic. Please see two pics of mine attached. I do not think in any way that it would make the guitar any less simple. 

2) I really like the cocobolo headstock if it is not too crazy. It will give the guitar a sharp look, again without making it any less simple. I have attached a photo of mine, which you can see is not too distracting but the red colors stand out.

3) I would be very tempted to do red purfling, but you do run the risk of moving away from your organic feel. In the guitar I am having built I went with bloodwood purfling and tied it into the rosette which I think matches the cocobolo nicely.

Gotta run now. More thoughts forthcoming.
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 10:01:24 PM »
this is it, unless someone steals it from my dealer

2011 914ce - cedar/eir

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »
On your three questions:

i think the purfling line depends on which option you pick, but it defaults to the whole black fibers

i was actually thinking of getting the red purfling, i think that might look cool against the coco

you're right about the special ebony. i've seen some customs with it that would have def made me mad if it was mine

i asked shoreline to check to see if macassar ebony would be avail as a binding...THAT would be cool

i asked shoreline if they can do fret markers in abalone on top of the neck, i think that would be a cool touch but i'm contradicting myself with my organic theme lol

I have one with red purfling, and it is really nice. You could also do white wood fiber purfling. Careful with Macassar binding - Due to the width, you may not have enough mottling to really strike a contrast with the straight ebony headstock and fretboard.

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 11:02:12 PM »
On your three questions:

I have one with red purfling, and it is really nice. You could also do white wood fiber purfling. Careful with Macassar binding - Due to the width, you may not have enough mottling to really strike a contrast with the straight ebony headstock and fretboard.

good points...which one has white purfling?

i was thinking about englemann, it just sounded like lutz would be the combo of both sitka and euro spruce (which has similar tonal qualities to englemann)

can't find any burst cocobolos and i'm not a big fan of burst besides edgeburst, but i like those on dark tops

so i guess i will keep it natural again :)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 11:17:17 PM »
I like the contrast of the darkness of cocobolo and the lightness of lutz spruce, so I don't think I would go with the burst.

Cocobolo sample looks fantastic.
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 11:58:29 PM »
ok. think i made up my mind. sticking to my guns

lutz top
cocobolo back and sides
performance bracing
no cutaway no electronics
cocobolo binding (body, neck and headstock)
standard purfling (ill ask to make sure it's between the binding and sides, but i'm pretty sure it is bc my other custom has it)
gloss ebony plain headstock
gloss ebony trc (i'm surprised not more people do this)
taylor abalone logo
gold gotoh with blk buttons
cocobolo single ring rosette with bound soundhole
small abalone dot inlay (asked if i can get abalone dot on the fret markers too)
natural finish
standard headstock (i'm not a fan of the slotted at all, pure aesthetic preference)
thx all!!!

a part of me now wants the abalone dot bridge pins
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:16:08 AM by zeebow »
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 06:38:58 PM »
Sounds great, zee!

You can always get abalone dot bridge pins later if you want. I recommend them in water buffalo horn if you like the black look. They'll add a nice tonal presence to the tone. I think that the white fiber purfling is standard on the binding, unless you specify something else. Several of my customs have that when I haven't specified color. It looks really elegant. Your dealer should be able to walk you through this.

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 01:41:08 PM »
ok. think i made up my mind. sticking to my guns

lutz top
cocobolo back and sides
performance bracing
no cutaway no electronics
cocobolo binding (body, neck and headstock)
standard purfling (ill ask to make sure it's between the binding and sides, but i'm pretty sure it is bc my other custom has it)
gloss ebony plain headstock
gloss ebony trc (i'm surprised not more people do this)
taylor abalone logo
gold gotoh with blk buttons
cocobolo single ring rosette with bound soundhole
small abalone dot inlay (asked if i can get abalone dot on the fret markers too)
natural finish
standard headstock (i'm not a fan of the slotted at all, pure aesthetic preference)
thx all!!!

a part of me now wants the abalone dot bridge pins

Excited for you! Just catching up on this. I know you're saying you don't like the slotted headstock for purely aesthetic reasons, but you're aware Taylor mostly uses slotted due to a functional reason on 12 frets, right? In the interest of making an informed decision....

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:46:57 PM by Guitarsan »
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa