Author Topic: Does Taylor use aging toner or do they slip in torrefied tops here and there?  (Read 3528 times)

All Together

Notice how the same batch of guitars have vastly different top colors:

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
For their clear-fin models, I've never read that Taylor uses any tint in their fins.  Assuming the same species woods, variations in hue are likely due to:
1. lighting and various photo conditions
2. individual differences in wood (wood ain't man-made, remember ;) )

When they use torrefied wood or fin treatments, they say it ...at least every time I've witnessed.

Edward

wooglins

• Veteran Member
You can order Aged toner on a BTO and I have owned one with this option.  The result looks like none of the pictures.  The aged toner is a very light shade and creates a new top that looks 3-4 years old. 

madx2

Last year I purchased a used 2013 DN7 from a well known, respected dealer.  I asked if it had an aged toner top and they said "no".  I checked with Taylor and they said "yes".  That's how little/hard to tell it is shaded.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Last year I purchased a used 2013 DN7 from a well known, respected dealer.  I asked if it had an aged toner top and they said "no".  I checked with Taylor and they said "yes".  That's how little/hard to tell it is shaded.

That's interesting!  The factory has always "stated" their fins in the past.  For example, the old 600s had "ambered" tint vs. a truly clear finish one could find or spec on maple where the visual difference was obvious ...but this on their back/sides.  I've not heard them "sneaking" in tints on their tops without stating such (as they proudly claim for torrefied tops, for example).  I've always noticed that Taylor tends to refer to its finishes as a "feature" worth talking about...

Edward

madx2

My used DN7 was on consignment at the dealer.  Maybe the salesman just looked at it and made a judgement call.

Saturday, my picking friends had a jam session.  In attendance was the 1998 310 I sold to a friend.  It's top is noticeably darker than my DN7.  I always kept it cased when not being played so it has "naturally aged".  Next time we are together I'll try getting a picture of them side by side.

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!

That's interesting!  The factory has always "stated" their fins in the past.  For example, the old 600s had "ambered" tint vs. a truly clear finish one could find or spec on maple where the visual difference was obvious ...but this on their back/sides.  I've not heard them "sneaking" in tints on their tops without stating such (as they proudly claim for torrefied tops, for example).  I've always noticed that Taylor tends to refer to its finishes as a "feature" worth talking about...

Edward

And therefore I think the dealer was just simply mistaken/wrong. Probably guessed the answer.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
There is no way, to your original question, that Taylor would slip in a torrefied top. But, Andy Powers says they'll be using them more, so you will see them elsewhere in the line at some point.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

wooglins

• Veteran Member

Edward

The DN7 may have not had aged toner switched, it could have been ordered that way by the original dealer.

deepermagic

I had a similar question a while back. My spruce top looks much darker than many I've seen. It was built in 2012 and I purchased it in 2013, so it's not like it's an old fogey or anything.

I can't find the post where I brought up the question, but it was similar to yours, wondering if they did something extra to my top.

Turns out, after some good discussion and some more research, wood is wood and some spruce is darker than other spruce. I've even noticed that my saddle is a darker parchment in color than other 300s I've seen, and my only assumption is that they chose that saddle color to complement the darker top.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Color varies from wood batch to wood batch even with the same species.  I've seen some new spruce tops that looked almost like a light cedar, and vice versa.  Then there is the whole aging thing.  Tops will get darker and richer looking over time.  My 1990 Martin had a Sitka top that was the color of manilla file folders when new but over time has acquired a nice amber color, assisted by lots of outdoor playing and practicing.  (I happen to loathe Martin's "aging toner", which looks far too yellow - like a fake spray tan).    :P
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

madx2

My used DN7 was on consignment at the dealer.  Maybe the salesman just looked at it and made a judgement call.

Saturday, my picking friends had a jam session.  In attendance was the 1998 310 I sold to a friend.  It's top is noticeably darker than my DN7.  I always kept it cased when not being played so it has "naturally aged".  Next time we are together I'll try getting a picture of them side by side.

If I did this right, there should be the pictures of these two guitars.  Maybe the difference isn't as noticeable as I thought, but the glare on the tops make it hard to tell the true difference in the colors