Author Topic: 150e a few months on  (Read 2608 times)

Stringband Eric

• My website
150e a few months on
« on: April 19, 2015, 08:27:16 PM »
First off - will admit that I've been looking at a couple of other Taylor 12 strings (used GA3-12 and new 356e).  Both good, but neither to the point of getting me to switch. Yet.

Have now played a few shows with the 150e.  So far, so good.  Folks have been able to hear the guitar and it blends well with the other instruments.  Well, except yesterday when we had an accordion player.  That was difficult.

Other reason I'm blathering on about this is - this morning get a text from my bandmate wondering if I could play at a church in this afternoon?  Very short notice, but okay.  We get there, the sound man realizes I have a pickup and goes and grabs a cable.  Ends up putting me direct into the system.  Didn't need to tweak the controls at all.  The ES system really is good. 

Is this an ideal guitarl? No.  There is a bit of harshness to the tone in the upper registers that I can hear.  However, my wife and bandmate(s) don't hear it.  Have installed a Taylor bone saddle and ebony bridge pins.  Has helped some, but still planning to put phospher bronze strings on to see what happens. 

Part of me wonders if it is the sound of the string ends on the grounding plate for the ES system.

Overall am still having a blast with the 150e.  Really playing it a lot more than expected.  Of course, it is now the main guitar for my band.  My other guitars now sit in reserve.
Eric P.
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa
1997 Taylor 420-R
2013 Gibson J-35

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
Re: 150e a few months on
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 10:52:09 PM »
Overall am still having a blast with the 150e.  Really playing it a lot more than expected.

That's the way I feel.  My bass player and I cover a lot of Byrds and they just don't sound right unless you pull out the 12 string.  I agree it can be a little harsh though maybe it's just because it's a little lacking in the bass.  Overall though, it's probably the best 12 string value currently available.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 06:35:47 AM »
Overall though, it's probably the best 12 string value currently available.
I agree.
My problem was, I was enjoying it so much, I ended up upgrading.  ::)
But, it's all about the music and the enjoyment of it all!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 08:08:15 AM »
I agree on the "harshness" aspect, but that's too harsh a word for it.  8) As I've always said (and I owned a 150e for a while), there's no better 12 string for the money. But, there are less "harsh" 12 string Taylors, if you want to go there.....
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Stringband Eric

• My website
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »
I agree on the "harshness" aspect, but that's too harsh a word for it.  8) As I've always said (and I owned a 150e for a while), there's no better 12 string for the money. But, there are less "harsh" 12 string Taylors, if you want to go there.....

True.  But the more I investigate and tinker with the guitar the more I think I know what I'm hearing.  Pretty sure it is the fused grounding plate.  On these guitars, it's big.  Not sure if all 12 string Taylor guitars have the same plate, or if this is different.  Made my final decision after swapping over the phospher bronze strings on the guitar yesterday.

What I hear is not necessarily harshness, but a metallic tone, mainly in the upper registers on the guitar.  Certain picks also make it sound worse than it is.

All that being said - my bandmate really likes the sound of this guitar.  Enough so she does not want me to switch to something better.  And has made her opinion well know. 
Eric P.
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa
1997 Taylor 420-R
2013 Gibson J-35