Author Topic: Taylor 50th anniversary models  (Read 1057 times)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Taylor 50th anniversary models
« on: January 26, 2024, 04:21:45 PM »
I'm surprised there has been no mention yet of these new offerings.  I'm not really interested myself, but figured that someone would have brought this up promptly.  Everything I have looked at is quite pricey, but that seems to be the new reality.  Glad that I have mine already.   ::)
https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/50th-anniversary-collection
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Taylor 50th anniversary models
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 05:58:44 PM »
I got the email too. Nothing interests me either. Not putting them down, I'm just all set. Love the sinker tops!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 08:06:49 PM »
I'm also set, at least for the foreseeable future. Beautiful offerings, and a price tag to match. I however am at the stage of my life where tone and playability come before beauty.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 08:43:03 PM »
Like I had said at that "other" forum, I love Taylor, love their ethic and execution, and am amazed at what Bob and Kurt had built; a true David slays Goliath(s) in the acoustic world.  I love my old Taylors and RTs and despite the many Road Shows and even the Factory showroom visits over the last decade, I have yet to play/feel anything --anything-- that can dethrone what I already own.  Which is high praise for their "legacy" guitars and not really "derision" for their current ones.  So yeah, I still love Taylor, but the direction they have moved in the past decade has clearly moved past me.  And that ignores the high-ish prices of these 50ths!  Heck I used to own a 30th and it was a solidly good guit at yeoman's cost (I mean 3k for this 300 series doesn't sit well with me).  I sure hope they do well and haven't lost their way here....

Edward
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 08:49:44 PM by Edward »

ScottSD

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 09:22:03 PM »
I still love me some Taylors, I have 7.  They build an amazing guitar and their service is unparalleled.  However, their incessant marketing  churn (looking at you V class) and playing fast and loose with their core series has soured me.  I totally get their commitment to sourcing new woods, this is not a gripe with iron bark or stripped ebony.  They just seem to have lost sight of the market demographic that I (and lots of others) represent. 

Look at this 50th Anniversary series.  They are endowed with: Gold Tuners, Gold acrylic dot pins and a 50th Anniversary decal.  No inlays or other special treatment that would set these models apart as a special edition.  Just another production model with a decal.  Marketing.  I wish them well but I just don't get it. 

I am glad they didn't inlay a roman numeral "50" into the neck...

Scott

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 11:59:54 AM »
Very underwhelming choices for a 50th anniversary.

However, the new 914ce Builder’s Edition is a stunning wood combination only available in their blingy Presentation series before. Sinker and Honduran will have lots of overtones and a broken in sound from day one.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 09:16:43 PM »
Sounds like  I'm not the only one that has become with Taylor's hyperbole with things new and shiny (V &C class bracing, the bling,ect). I'm happy with what I  currently have, and when I'm looking for another Taylor, it will not be a new one.

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 11:31:12 PM »
I am old… these new Taylors are NOT aimed at me…

For one thing, I almost never amplify anymore

Ease of play, Acoustic TONE and VOLUME  are paramount for me.

Still, No other manufacturers beat Taylor at playability, and ease of adjustment! And their Customer Service is still outstanding
As is their Repair Department!!!

Website could use some attention. I think the model churn has left the website behind.  Especially info on older (like pre-NT models)

Oh, well… Carry on, and have FUN

Paul

« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 12:12:08 AM by Guitars44me »

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 08:41:43 PM »
I agree, Paul.  They have moved past me and my tastes, but I honor their great history.  Apparently I am no longer within the target demographic despite having the money to buy anything that I really wanted.  Guess I really am too old to be worthy of their interest -- I care little about the "flavor of the month".

My final Taylor purchase was one of the last 615's ever made in August 2010, bought as NOS in 2014.  Shortly after that was when the GO's replaced the x15 series.  Still, I would attend a Road Show if they ever have one in Idaho near me again.  But they seem to have gotten away from those events.  Not to derail this thread, but I have only read the online version of Wood & Steel once since the conversion to all digital last year
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

beachbum205

• <><
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2024, 01:02:41 PM »
I'm also set, at least for the foreseeable future. Beautiful offerings, and a price tag to match. I however am at the stage of my life where tone and playability come before beauty.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.
8) Beachbum
Taylor 510e
Taylor 110ce
Martin D-35

<>< Psalm 33.3

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2024, 07:52:12 AM »
I can not even imagine paying $20,000 for the PS24ce LTD, I don't care if they add in their LTD amp, and their base model in the 50th anniversary PS line at $10,000 ouch!
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2024, 02:36:59 PM »
I agree these are a bit underwhelming.  Not to mention the price.  Like a car, I don't think I could in good conscience spend these prices on brand new instruments when there are so many mint or near mint condition used choices.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5