Author Topic: NGD 517 Builder’s Edition  (Read 1237 times)

Guitarless

NGD 517 Builder’s Edition
« on: December 30, 2023, 08:30:51 PM »
Actual NGD was 12/20 but I wanted to sit with it for a few days and make sure there weren’t any annoyances or duddy notes!

Taylor Builder’s Edition 517

First thing I have to say is the neck on all these Builder’s Edition guitars is that they are very close to the 70s Martin necks favored by so many.  It fills the hand but isn’t a baseball bat. A nice soft V at about .86” that gets to more of a C at the 12th close to .95”.  One of the most comfortable necks out there.

The sound is great and not typical Taylor.  A very deep bass, clear highs and just the right amount of mids.  It actually sounds like an old well broken in guitar.

Typical BE features, rolled fretboard, rounded body edges, baked Sitka top, Neo-tropical mahogany (whatever that is) back sides and neck. V-bracing gets a bad rap, and most of the guitars with it I have played haven’t thrilled me, but it is a great fit for the Grand Pacifics.

I had always wanted one of these since I played the first one when they came out, but either didn’t have the funds or didn’t want a guitar with the es2.  All of the guitars I played, es2 or not were very consistent and having recently played another with the es2 I decided to take the chance and order one without a pickup.

It arrived 12/20 and sounded a bit stiff out of the box.  After a few hours playing the stiffness wore off.  After a few days I switched from elixir mediums to D’Addario XS lights.  I prefer the tone and play feel with the lights. 

The only con for me is the terrible strap button placement on the back of the guitar.  I wish they would have left the button off the guitar to allow for attachment wherever the owner would like.

Just ordered a Holter pickguard and plan on having the plastic nut and saddle replaced with bone. Looking forward to seeing how this ages. It’s a great compliment to my maple Iris AB.

All in all a very happy NGD.

The only other guitar that caught my fancy recently was a satin D-18, however, the current necks on the standards are just too thin and uncomfortable.  Had there been a Martin with the Builders Edition neck, I may have bought one. Maybe martin will keep taking cues from Taylor and add some thickness back to the necks.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: NGD 517 Builder’s Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 02:04:43 PM »
Excellent, a very happy NGD to you!!

The thing I really like about the BEs are the body's rounded edges and rolled fingerboard: makes for a more comfy player, to be sure!

I also agree with the confounded strap button placement: dumb!  I thought it was dumb to move it when the factory did so years ago and, for the life of me, is one of the worst moves they have made.  Seriously, no exaggeration for me.  Far and away better to have left it where it was for decades; or if Andy was itching for a "difference" just leave it unmounted and include it in the case.  Sorry, rant over now as I hate that button placement.  Please proceed with enjoying your lovely BE!  :)

Edward

Guitarless

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 05:14:34 PM »
Excellent, a very happy NGD to you!!

The thing I really like about the BEs are the body's rounded edges and rolled fingerboard: makes for a more comfy player, to be sure!

I also agree with the confounded strap button placement: dumb!  I thought it was dumb to move it when the factory did so years ago and, for the life of me, is one of the worst moves they have made.  Seriously, no exaggeration for me.  Far and away better to have left it where it was for decades; or if Andy was itching for a "difference" just leave it unmounted and include it in the case.  Sorry, rant over now as I hate that button placement.  Please proceed with enjoying your lovely BE!  :)

Edward

Couldn’t agree more, it’s my only complaint.

GP517

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 07:31:33 PM »
Nice review and pics! Thanks. The 517 is a great guitar, and I think it deserves more attention than it gets!

Guitarless

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 10:14:06 PM »
Nice review and pics! Thanks. The 517 is a great guitar, and I think it deserves more attention than it gets!

Thanks!

First guitar that I have ever had that sounds better everyday.  I’ve had guitars that sounded better after months or years etc, but this one is on a daily scale of sounding better. 

This is also the first brand new guitar I have ever bought most other purchases have been used, so already a bit broken in.  I love everything about the guitar but the dang strap button placement!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 11:48:53 AM »
May I suggust: remove the strap button and mount it in the right position, as Taylor had done for decades.

The strap button is one small hole that can be filled and finished by a skilled guitar tech who will use a wood close in hue, and then dye it to match as best he can.  The good part is it will be such a small piece of visible wood, and that heel area is a small surface to refin and blend (which is a bit of a challenge since Taylor uses their own poly fin), but I bet is doable because it's a small, defined area.

Food for thought, anyway.  The BEs are the factory's closes build to their old R.Taylor (RIP ;) ) ...enjoy that beauty! :)

Edward
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 11:51:11 AM by Edward »

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 11:08:51 AM »
A couple of times I have moved a strap button from some weird position.  A drill of the right size and a small pearl or abalone dot makes for a good filler.  Put a little drop of white glue into the hole then push it flush.  No big deal.  It will be more noticeable than Edward's dyed wood plug, but decorative in its own way.  I too wonder why the odd button placement when they have put them on the neck heel for decades.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 11:31:21 AM »
Abalone dot ...genius, Earl! 

Fwiw, on one of my guits, the visual contrast of the fret dots against the binding is very poor in dim lighting (and my dimming sight!), so I bought fret dot stickers that are a light-colored abalone and affixed them on the side markers: perfect!  Way to use the dot sticker as an aesthetic repair for Taylor's strap-button blunder! :)

Edward

Guitarless

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 12:07:53 PM »
A couple of times I have moved a strap button from some weird position.  A drill of the right size and a small pearl or abalone dot makes for a good filler.  Put a little drop of white glue into the hole then push it flush.  No big deal.  It will be more noticeable than Edward's dyed wood plug, but decorative in its own way.  I too wonder why the odd button placement when they have put them on the neck heel for decades.

Great idea

Guitarless

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2024, 04:14:40 PM »
Abalone dot ...genius, Earl! 

Fwiw, on one of my guits, the visual contrast of the fret dots against the binding is very poor in dim lighting (and my dimming sight!), so I bought fret dot stickers that are a light-colored abalone and affixed them on the side markers: perfect!  Way to use the dot sticker as an aesthetic repair for Taylor's strap-button blunder! :)

Edward

@edward I was just reading some other threads about pickups in v braced Taylor’s.  Am I correct that you have a lyric in a v brace Taylor?  If so how does it sound? Played any larger venues etc?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2024, 09:43:39 PM »
Sorry, no.  I have a Lyric mounted in an R.Taylor Style 2, which is the same body shape as Taylor's GC.  RT's bracing and build parameters are different from Taylor's production guits, and preceded v-bracing by over a decade.  Not an apples-apples comparison.

As for the Lyric, I like it for light attack and fingers.  But the harder you play it the less "acoustic guit" it sounds, and the bass response is a bit light which is fine if you're fingerpicking, but leaves you wanting if strummed.  With this particular guit I've not played in any venue larger than say a medium-sized bar (and church), but I don't believe the size of the room is what matters here.  I personally think the Lyric is more suited to the solo/duo act; a less "busy" sound.  If in a full band I'd go with the Anthem SL over the Lyric in a heartbeat, particularly with a drummer: much better dynamic range and "percussive" punchiness, imo.  Hope that helps you a bit.  :)

Edward
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 09:45:45 PM by Edward »

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2024, 07:40:55 AM »
@guitarless, does your case stand on end when the guitar is loaded? Mine won’t. That and the goofy strap button location are my only criticisms. I really love the clean execution with minimal bling of these BE models.

Guitarless

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2024, 11:29:03 AM »
@guitarless, does your case stand on end when the guitar is loaded? Mine won’t. That and the goofy strap button location are my only criticisms. I really love the clean execution with minimal bling of these BE models.

Do you mean straight up,  I haven’t tried.  I lay it flat or on its side and have had no problems.

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2024, 05:23:51 PM »
Yes, straight up.

SDTaylorman

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2024, 10:02:46 AM »
Yes, straight up.

Never a good idea unless the guitar is in a stand. Believe me, Taylor is helping you keep your guitar safe. Don't ask me how I know.