Author Topic: Where to buy a new Taylor 517 BE  (Read 952 times)

GP517

Re: Where to buy a new Taylor 517 BE
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2023, 01:20:50 AM »

Hello Guitarless! Yes, the strap button....  kind of a pain :) (I read somewhere that the strap button on the heel is required because of the way Taylor attaches it's necks.)  I've tried quite a few different strings, and the 517 sounds good with all, but overall the three I like best are the John Pearse PB, Martin SP PB and currently DR Sunbeams PB, all in 13-56. Regarding the tightness of the new guitar, I attribute that more to the initial stiffness of the torrified spruce top than the bracing. But once that torrified top breaks in, boy does it sound good! Warm and loud! Regular vigorous strumming is now your friend (for at least a few months). Once your guitar starts to open up, I think you will find that it has great dynamics and a really, really nice voice. Enjoy your journey with a guitar that will encourage you to play more and become an even better player as the years go by!

Hasn't Taylor been attaching its necks the same way for many years?  And yet the new location of the strap button appeared only recently.

Well, in 1992 I purchased a beautiful new Taylor 515 Ltd. Jumbo from a well-known store in Omaha. The guitar did not come with a strap button, and so I asked the seller to put one on. It came back with the strap button in the same spot as the 517 has now. I asked then why that location, and was told that Taylor wouldn't warranty a neck issue if there was a strap button was on the treble side of the neck. On the other hand, I have two Taylor nylon string guitars, and both came  from the factory with a strap button on the treble side of the neck like we expect.  Perhaps there's a difference between how steel-string necks are attached vs nylon? Beyond that, I'm really not sure.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Where to buy a new Taylor 517 BE
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2023, 11:27:34 AM »
With regard to the strap button, I recall Taylor moving its location to that heel spot several years ago, but it was a Powers preference if I recall, and that is it.  To my knowledge (and memory) there is zero difference in the NT neck and its connection to the body from its inception in 2000 and today's models; none whatsoever.

Edward