Author Topic: Do I need a new nut?  (Read 312 times)

gscratchutay

Do I need a new nut?
« on: November 23, 2023, 09:18:39 AM »
I have a 456ce 12-string that I bought new about ten years ago.  I had it set up with light gauge strings (0.010 - 0.047) and I love the sound and feel.
However, several of the strings have become difficult to tune, specifically the octave G, the octave A and the upper B.  When I turn the tuner on these few strings the pitch doesn't change smoothly.
I'm wondering what if anything can be done.  Can the nut be adjusted? or do I need to have a new nut?
Or could something else be the cause?
Thanks,

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: Do I need a new nut?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 11:11:21 AM »
It seems odd that, all of a sudden, multiple strings would bind at the nut.  You mention that the guitar was just set up with light strings.  What was on it previously?  Different gauge?  Different brand?

In my experience, strings that bind at the nut will make an audible popping sound when they finally release, and the pitch will change -- if you're tightening the string.  I'm wondering if that's what's happening on your guitar.  The fix that has worked for me is to remove the strings, then take a pencil and "draw" inside the nut slot so that the string will glide over the slippery graphite.  I use a very thin-leaded mechanical pencil for this (making sure I apply graphite to the bottom and sides of the slot), and I apply this technique to every guitar, in every nut slot, every time I clean the fretboard during a string change.

If the above fix doesn't solve the problem, normally I'd recommend whipping out a pice of sandpaper and widening the slots a micro-hair (that's the technical term).  But your issue occurred after a professional setup, so I'd likely take the guitar back to the shop that worked on it, and explain the issue to them.  They'll likely fix the problem at no charge.

-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 11:13:53 AM »
The nut is fine, but with age sometimes can develop fine indentations and that makes tuning a bit "notchy" as opposed to a smooth ramp to rest on.  The simplest and free fix to try first is run an old string back and forth across the nut slot. almost like flossing teeth. 

In the electric world, many have used pencil lead in the slot: twist the lead in the string slot and fine graphite powder helps lube the string.  I personally don't like this solution because I hate the black residue that is left, but it does help a bunch.

Edward

gscratchutay

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 09:28:25 AM »
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I should have noted that I had the instrument soon after I bought it, and the strings seeming to stick is fairly recent, so I don't attribute the problem to the set up itself.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 11:42:59 AM »
"Floss" the new nut with the old string, "shave" a bit of lead in the offending slot (clean it off afterward, ugh), then new strings.  You should be fine if it was fine beforehand.

Edward