Author Topic: Opinions of new Martin Kovar strings?  (Read 458 times)

dswo

Opinions of new Martin Kovar strings?
« on: September 16, 2023, 09:10:37 AM »
A few weeks ago I got an email from Martin about their new Kovar strings. Details here: https://www.martinguitar.com/kovar-strings.html. Anyone tried these yet? The fine print says they're produced under license from Ernie Ball. I'm especially curious about the string tension, compared with other low-tension strings. (I currently use Martin MA130 silk and steel.)

Joseph Hanna

Re: Opinions of new Martin Kovar strings?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 09:59:55 PM »
I did a review of them on the AGF. I'm thrilled with these strings, but I believe they are very different. Be sure you try before you invest in multiple sets. They, without doubt, are different. I like them enough to have bought a pack of 12, and that's coming from a pretty confirmed Elixir/D'Addario 80/20 user. I know Martin is touting them as low-tension, but the tension chart shows them as similar to regular Martin light gauge, and I certainly don't notice a particular low-tension feel. I like a bit of tension push-back from strings, and these don't feel low push-back. That said, however, these strings are worlds away from a silk and steel feel.