Author Topic: On the subject of strings…  (Read 1503 times)

DimEyeGuitarGuy

On the subject of strings…
« on: March 10, 2022, 11:15:41 AM »
While I’m waiting to hear back from Taylor, I thought I’d ask here to see if anyone knew definitively.

As I start to experiment with strings… are mediums okay/safe to put on my 914?
Tom (DEGG)

2021 Taylor 914CE LTD Bocote

SDTaylorman

Re: On the subject of strings…
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 11:23:13 AM »
Of course.

DimEyeGuitarGuy

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 12:35:25 PM »
Of course.

Thanks. There’s a lot of divided information on the web.
Tom (DEGG)

2021 Taylor 914CE LTD Bocote

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 12:42:01 PM »
Yes.  I have not owned anything above the 600 series, but you'll be OK.  Worst case you might need a 1/4 turn on the truss rod, and medium strings can actually be set up lower than lights (more tension leads to less circular motion during vibration).  My Taylor guitars have often worn medium gauge strings tuned at standard tuning, with no ill effects.  I got into heavier strings when needing to tune down for altered tunings, and liked them just fine for standard too. 

The thing about the interweb is that if there are 20 people, you'll see at least 21 opinions on any topic.   ;)
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 10:08:32 PM »
Earl is right on with the mediums. With the guit set up well, you may even think/feel like there is no difference, or at least merely a slight one.

That said, also try medium-lights.  FWIW, I use the elixir PB med-light set on a GC-sized guit and it's fabulous.  And if you want a warmer tone, go with non-coated brands and see/hear what you get.  Happy hunting! :)

EDward

crashcup

• "Trust in God, but tie your camel!"
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 10:38:30 PM »
If you're "experimenting," then give Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension strings a run.  After a decade of Elixir only, I began "experimenting" with non-Elixir brands of strings about 8 months ago.  Without rehashing my experience with all the popular brands I've tried (and most have good qualities) I believe I have settled on what I believe to be the most balanced sounding strings I've ever played.  Yes, it's all subjective, but I bring it up because I play in a lot of drop tunings and Santa Cruz just recently introduced light and medium DADGAD sets of parabolic tension strings.  Tuning my grand auditoriums or my grand concert 12 frets down to a CFCGCE tuning was doable, but I really had to adjust my playing to compensate for the lighter tension.  The new DADGAD sets handle all my crazy dropped tunings. So if you're looking for slightly heavier, this is something you might consider.  They also sound fabulous in standard tuning!

Teja Gerkin from Peg Head Nation reviewed them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnl7Q87A4R0

Best of luck!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 10:41:54 PM by crashcup »

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 12:49:54 AM »
On the subject of strings…

In the past, Taylor has mentioned that most of their older model guitars can handle both Lights and Mediums. When in doubt with a model, it would be worth a call to Taylor to check it out.

At one point they were shipping Grand Concerts and Grand Auditoriums with Elixir PB HD gauge (.013 - .053). Basically Medium treble strings with Light bass strings. I like this gauge so much that I use it on both my Grand Concerts, my Grand Orchestra, and all three J-200 Jumboes.

Note this gauge is the opposite of Medium-Lights. I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks. I like the bump given to the trebles strings and the big boys don't need that much bass to sound real good.

Don

« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 12:51:31 AM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 12:56:17 AM »

The thing about the interweb is that if there are 20 people, you'll see at least 21 opinions on any topic.   ;)

Exactly. And that covers those who don't offer an opinion on one hand and those who equivocate, and can't make up their minds on the other hand. Thus planting a foot firmly in both opinions.  :o

Don

* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 11:06:05 AM »
If you're "experimenting," then give Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension strings a run.

A guitar that I bought used came with SCGC strings on it, and they were fine.  I have used several types on it since then.  Right now that guitar is wearing Straight Up Strings, a similar balanced-tension concept, but at about half of the SCGC price.  They have been on that guitar for 3½ months now and are still sounding fine.  Weekly play is 4-8 hours, including two hours being pounded at a bluegrass jam.  www.straightupstrings.com
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

crashcup

• "Trust in God, but tie your camel!"
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 03:11:06 PM »
If you're "experimenting," then give Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension strings a run.

A guitar that I bought used came with SCGC strings on it, and they were fine.  I have used several types on it since then.  Right now that guitar is wearing Straight Up Strings, a similar balanced-tension concept, but at about half of the SCGC price.  They have been on that guitar for 3½ months now and are still sounding fine.  Weekly play is 4-8 hours, including two hours being pounded at a bluegrass jam.  www.straightupstrings.com

Good to know.  Thanks for sharing. The "experiment" continues!

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 06:55:12 PM »
That said, also try medium-lights.  FWIW, I use the elixir PB med-light set on a GC-sized guit and it's fabulous.  And if you want a warmer tone, go with non-coated brands and see/hear what you get.  Happy hunting! :)

EDward

I second this, the Elixir Light-Mediums are the sweet spot. A bit easier to bend than mediums and I think will sit right in the string slots in the nut.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa