Author Topic: Aero Case question  (Read 1917 times)

Andy_E

Aero Case question
« on: February 25, 2022, 12:26:59 PM »
I am planning to travel with my GT via plane and may need to check in the guitar since I can't be sure I will be able to take it as carry-on in all cases.  I would appreciate your opinions about how a GT guitar in the aero case would survive if checked in.  Thanks!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Aero Case question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 12:57:49 PM »
Hi Andy,

Checked in with luggage?  No stikin way, nor for me, sir! 
The aero case is a good case, an excellent gigging case; great at protecting the guit from the normal bumps and scrapes of getting around, including to/from a venue.  And a natural lightweight case for travelling in a car or flying if on your back.  But in NO way would any "hard" gigbag be sufficient protection for any serious travel duress like stacking in a cargo van full of PA gear, and certainly not with the luggage that is thrown --thrown-- around by airline baggage handlers who are working at breakneck speed and care precious little --nothing, it seems-- about the parcels they are moving around to keep on schedule. 

That said, I've so far had decent luck about having a gigbag on my back and been able to get on board with it.  I'm no frequent flyer so others with more air miles please chime in.  But over a few flights over say 5 years, I've been able to "sneak" into the cabin --be quick with a smile and exxxxtra polite and accommodating-- with my guit on my back and not a word.  Obviously, the smaller the better, so the the aerocase's size may raise an eyebrow.  I know there is "policy," but really, you are at the mercy of the person and their mood at that given moment.  FWIW, I travel with an electric now simply because it's looks smaller/thinner and, of course, a tele is fairly indestructible ;)
Food for thought ...hope this helps you a bit :D

BTW, for grins and giggles, one should ALWAYS pull up the old youtube vid: United Breaks Guitars.  True, but also funny as all get out!  Bob ended up doing a solid for the guy after the dust settled, which is always a nice outcome. 

Edward

« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 01:01:42 PM by Edward »

SDTaylorman

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 04:05:57 PM »
Gate checked (not in with the general luggage but taken at the jetway with the strollers and given back to you at the same jetway location when getting off the flight) MIGHT work but man, I'd be concerned still. Regular check in? No way!! As above, your best bet is to board early and hope it fits in the overhead or, if not, that they'll let you stuff it in the crew closet. Not merely a "policy" it's the law on all domestic USA flights (for quite a few years now) that they MUST (yes, the rule says "must") let you board with it IF a) it fits in the overhead and b) you board early enough that there's room for it. Do NOT succumb to the whims of overly egotistical gate attendants. If you meet requirement 1&2 you get to board with it. Period. But be nice. That really goes a long way and, as I said to start, you'll at least be able to gate check it. Good luck and safe travels! Here's a link to help (includes the final rule): https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/air-travel-musical-instruments
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 04:12:28 PM by SDTaylorman »

Andy_E

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 04:39:38 PM »
Thanks for your responses!  There is a YouTube video produced by a store who touted the protection offered by the aero case by thowing the case with guitar inside out the window of 2nd story building and maybe 2 or 3 guys standing on the case.  Apparently the guitar survived.  However, your advice is logical and sound so I will not check the guitar.  I have been thinking about a Calton flight case but I thought I would first consider if the aero case would do the job.  Sadly no.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 05:16:22 PM »
On a few flights, I took my fully expendable Seagull S6 in my least favorite thermal plastic Martin case (with the "steal me" logo molded in).  I actually hoped that case would get destroyed, giving me an excuse to replace it, but it always came out unscathed.  On my last flight with a guitar, something nicer than my Seagull traveled in an SKB iSeries case.  That is a very durable case with TSA locks.  It is big, rectangular, and heavy (but has wheels) and comes out with the over-sized baggage, like golf clubs and skis.  Be aware that some airlines charge extra for that.  I ship my guitar in the SKB and use a decent gig bag as my suitcase for unbreakable clothing, then switch at the destination.
https://www.skbcases.com/products/i-series-waterproof-acoustic-guitar-case-tan?f=&s=75&id=719&o=&c=75&offset=1

The iSeries case is strong enough for me to stand on, and I fit right in on the sidelines of an NFL game among the linemen (300 pounds, 6-6").  I would not trust anything less to the professional baggage manglers at the airlines.  That is why I own a 114ce that lives in Alaska, for work trips and the guitar camp that occurs up there.  Nothing to check and it makes sure that I visit the friends who keep it for me.  That guitar has more than paid for itself in extra baggage fees and in peace of mind, and is plenty of instrument for a week's worth of guitar camp.

My second choice is a Hiscox Pro II.  I have two but have never flown with either.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Andy_E

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 08:41:03 PM »
Thanks, Earl, for the information - much appreciated

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 06:44:29 AM »
As a pilot who travels with a guitar most of the time I can say that the vast majority of guitars end up unscathed and professional musicians check their instruments in because they need to. That said, I would definitely use the above advice to try to carry it on, and be nice. Sometimes you just run into a gate agent on a power trip but again most are nice. In the end, the aerocase will protect your guitar pretty well unless they run over it or leave it on a ramp in the cold for hours on end.
I almost never have to give up my instrument, but bought an aerocase late last year and am starting to bring my 322e on trips. I still bring my CF guitar if I expect I might have to check it for a deadhead flight(rides in the cockpit otherwise). I had the pleasure to fly Molly Tuttle just before the Covid era and because I was on our smaller airplane at the time I couldn’t fit her Preston Thompson dread in the cockpit. She had no apparent qualms gate checking since the overheads were full, but if there was room I would have checked my CF and kept her Thompson up front. In the end I took it downstairs and made sure it was in a secure position and I went and got it when we got there. No issues at all.
A word of caution on the airtight cases, one of them resulted in the worst potential damage I have seen. As the temperature in the holds isn’t as warm as the cabin and the air is really dry(use a humidipak or equivalent) but the airtight case keeps the moisture inside the case. This has resulted in the moisture coming out of the air when it cools and onto the guitar leaving a guitar with actual water all over it inside the airtight case. This happened leaving a humid climate(Caribbean island) on a 4-5 hour flight north.
There is no taking the worry out of the situation but it is so nice to have the guitar when you get there. Sometimes you just need to take a calculated risk. Take all the above advice to heart and carry it on if possible. Enjoy the trip and let us know how it works out.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2022, 09:20:13 AM »
I certainly defer to Frettingflyer's far superior experience and knowledge.  My trips with the SKB were between Idaho and Alaska for gigs during the fall and winter.  But I also want to point out that the SKB case has a purge valve that can easily be left open to equalize pressure to the cargo hold or the cabin.  It is intended to allow opening the case if it was sealed at a lower pressure, but should let moist air out too.  Hopefully that would help with condensation issues?  Simple air pressure changes would not affect a wood guitar in any way that I can think of.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2022, 07:00:33 PM »
I certainly defer to Frettingflyer's far superior experience and knowledge.  My trips with the SKB were between Idaho and Alaska for gigs during the fall and winter.  But I also want to point out that the SKB case has a purge valve that can easily be left open to equalize pressure to the cargo hold or the cabin.  It is intended to allow opening the case if it was sealed at a lower pressure, but should let moist air out too.  Hopefully that would help with condensation issues?  Simple air pressure changes would not affect a wood guitar in any way that I can think of.
Obviously my customer didn’t have the vent or it wasn’t open! I saw that liquid on the guitar and swore off those cases unless I really need to let UPS or someone handle my guitar(UPS destroyed my K14ce BE last year)! I bet that vent would help get the drier air in or at least the moisture partially out.
All good I for here.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable