Author Topic: GK3 and Guitar Synth For GS Mini?  (Read 1617 times)

Elua

GK3 and Guitar Synth For GS Mini?
« on: October 27, 2014, 05:45:09 AM »
Aloha Kakou,
I am looking to try something and am wondering if anyone has experience doing it, or thoughts/suggestions. I have recently acquired a Taylor GS Mini, and I am in love with the thing. So much so, that I am going to start using it for my primary gigging acoustic. (I fly around quite a bit for my gig, and I have to bring two other instruments with me as well so the size and playability are perfect) I would like to get back into using guitar synths, so does anyone know if a GK-3 would work with a GS Mini? Would the string spacing mess me up with this? Any and all responses are appreciated.

Mahalo,
Dave

Tarekith

• Luxembourg Mastering Engineer
    • Artist Website
Re: GK3 and Guitar Synth For GS Mini?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 10:32:38 AM »
If you don't mind using a computer or iPad instead, check out the MIDI Guitar apps by Jam Origin. NO hardware needed and it tracks better than the hardware units in my experience.  They say it's not for acoustic guitars, but it seems to work well with my 814.
Erik M.
InnerPortalStudio.com
2013 814ce, All Cosmo Black Hardware.

HAPPYDAN

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »
I can't help with your question, but I'm glad you like the Mini. I have found mine to be a very versatile instrument (see my post under "Fishing for Suggestions"). Even when I'm dog-tired and dead-drunk, I can still squeeze a decent tune out of it! And with my bummed-up right shoulder, I can play it sitting or standing for hours without too much pain - no can do with a larger instrument! Good Luck to you, I'm sure you'll make it work! :)

Elua

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 03:04:14 PM »
Aloha Tarekith,
I don't mind using iPad or computer at home but for gigging, I need to have "hardware". I downloaded the trial version and it looks like it has some potential. Thanks for the advice though.

Mahalo,
Dave

Fred

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 08:39:59 AM »
Hi Elua
I have fitted a GK-3 pickup to a GS Mini.
The pickup works fine.
The GS Mini string spacing is slightly narrower than a "regular" guitar.
This is not a problem because the strings do not need to be exactly centred over the individual sections of the GK-3 pickup.
You just need each string to be somewhere over an individual section.(If that makes sense?)
GS Mini
GS Mini-e Koa FLTD

mavr

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 09:11:36 AM »
Fred, intersting,... can you possibly show us a photo on how it looks like, GS Mini with GK3 installed?

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »
  Welcome Elua, Can't help with any of your questions, but wanted to say Alooo....Ha!!!
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Elua

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 01:26:34 PM »
azslacker-aloha to you...I take it you play ki'ohalu? Very cool...I delve into it now and then just to play with my head...but mostly stick to steel guitar
Fred-That would be very cool if you could post a pic of the installation. But based on your answer, I think I will go ahead and get the GK-3

Mahalo,
Dave

Fred

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 08:09:49 PM »
Unfortunately I no longer have the guitar synth.
Didn't think to take any pictures while I did have it either.
Sorry can't be of more help.
GS Mini
GS Mini-e Koa FLTD

Elua

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 08:30:46 PM »
Aloha Fred,
No worries...I am going ahead with this and also going with the GR55 from Roland. No matter what, I can use it with my other instruments...but I'm shooting for the GS Mini.

Dave