Author Topic: Planet Waves Humidifier Question  (Read 1140 times)

Jurrasicway

Planet Waves Humidifier Question
« on: March 08, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone use one of these. I am interested in buying one but want to know if you have to store your guitar in its case lying down on its back to avoid water spillage/damage. I do not have room to store my guitar like this so have to store it on its end or on its side (in the case of course).

Can you store a guitar like this with the planet waves humidifier installed?  ???
512 12 Fret.

jivauk

• Sadly Jimmy lost his fight with cancer 3 Nov 2015
    • singer/songwriter duo, a gentle blend of acoustic instruments and vocal harmony
Re: Planet Waves Humidifier Question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 11:46:50 AM »
If you're referring to the same one that we've used in the past (ie the one with 'humidipack' sachets that slip into a sleeve) there should be no liquid spillage/seepage.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=523&productname=Humidipak

We've had them in the guitar soundhole and at the headstock end of the case without incident, even when travelling with the cases standing on their sides.

There was a problem with some of the very early packs when first introduced a few years back, but AFAIK that has all been sorted now.

We've never used water based ones, so can't comment on those.
Val
www.jiva.co.uk

Guitars: Taylor, Yamaha, Eko
Ukuleles: Kala
Sound System: Bose, AER

shorty

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »
I use humidipaks on most of my guitars. I do however use one of the planet waves sponge-type that goes inside the plastic drop-in soundhole holder. When I wet the sponge I wring it out completely leaving the sponge only damp. Seems to work fine. I do store my guitars flat but I would imagine it would work fine with no leakage in any position with the sponge as I described.  Hope this helps!! ;)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 07:16:03 PM »
I have the Planet Waves and I store my guitar uprite, no problem, but I like the Oasis a bit better because they last longer between refills, and they don't spread out the strings as much as the Planet Waves.  The planet Waves does work well. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Jurrasicway

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 02:50:30 AM »
Thanks shorty, that's what I needed to know. Do you have the electronic hydrometer too? How do you rate it. The pair are available on eBay for $19 and i am thinking about buying.
512 12 Fret.

shorty

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »
I have three planet waves hygrometers and find they vary considerably among eachother. I have an oasis hygrometer and that one seems to be the most reliable and accurate.

Jurrasicway

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 04:08:19 AM »
Thanks shorty will definitely look at this one  8)
512 12 Fret.