Author Topic: Would love some opinions on Washburn acoustic guitars...  (Read 3714 times)

verichai

Would love some opinions on Washburn acoustic guitars...
« on: February 18, 2016, 04:34:30 PM »
Just bought a WCG25SCE sight unseen and have never owned a Washburn. Anyone here have any experience, thoughts, stories, opinions? The instrument was made in China.

Thanks.

wooglins

• Veteran Member
Re: Would love some opinions on Washburn acoustic guitars...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 04:38:23 PM »
They are Chinese multi vendor guitars.  What I mean is they are made in factories that make lots of different brands of guitars and label them differently. 

Does it sound good?  If so then enjoy it.

verichai

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 04:49:04 PM »
Then how can Washburn claim to be a "Chicago Original?" The guitars aren't even made in this country!

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 05:17:59 PM »
My first guitar that was actually playable was a D12S Washburn dreadnaught. Bought new in 1983. Still have it. I prefer smaller guitars, but still dig it out every now and then. Sounds good and has aged nicely. Never done anything more than a truss rod tweak on it. A little heavily built so it's very stable and stays in tune.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

verichai

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 05:34:23 PM »
Great to hear. Let's hope the build quality is still robust.

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »
Pretty sure even in '83 they were imports. Not long after I got mine they dropped the 12S from the line up. It was the last of the solid wood models, at the time.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

cc407

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 06:09:35 PM »
I think they may still make (or again make) a few guitars in northern Illinois...though I never see them for sale.
 I've had 4 of their middle-of-the-road models over the years.
They were perfectly OK imports. One of them had intonation issues.

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 06:53:43 PM »
Hope you'll do a report on the guitar. Saw that model in the new Sweetwater catalog. Hard to believe you can get a rosewood/spruce guitar with electronics, cutaway, and armrest for xx.

Edited per forum rules $.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:23:21 PM by TaylorGirl »
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

verichai

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 10:54:32 AM »
I'll be sure to provide my initial impressions and a long-term review.

verichai

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 08:11:45 PM »
Finally got back to town to find the guitar waiting for me. Again, this is the Washburn WCG25SCE. It's a Grand Auditorium cutaway comprised of a solid spruce top, rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, armrest and purfling. In features grover tuners and Fishman electronics. These are my initial thoughts on the instrument.

(For context, I have owned a dozen guitars over 15 years of playing, including a Martin acoustic, two Taylor acoustics, a Taylor hybrid, and a custom electric by Austin-based Moniker Guitars. I've played hundreds of guitars over the same period.)

Inside the box, the guitar was wrapped in a protective sleeve of foam. This model did not include a case. I removed the guitar and inspected the wood, overall workmanship, tuners, electronics, action and set up. Considering that I paid significantly less than the street price for this guitar, and that it was made in China, I was very impressed with the way the instrument looked. It looks and feels like a guitar costing 5-6 times as much.

So how does it sound? Loud. With a very balanced tone across the entire spectrum. Resounding lows with crystal clear highs. Very comfortable to hold thanks to the beveled relief and the unfinished neck is fantastic. Speaking of the neck, it is one the thickest necks I have played. I generally prefer a thinner neck, but I am so impressed with the guitar overall that I will cope.

In summation, this is a beautiful guitar in both look and feel and it punches way above it's price tag. Where else can you get these features for under $xx?

Nowhere.

Edited per forum rules $.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:21:32 PM by TaylorGirl »

gamblemad

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 10:21:23 PM »
My oppinion is that they are inconsistant..... You may get lucky and get one that sounds nice, but you are more likely to be disappointed in it, especially if you paid $xx or more for it.... The BBT at $xx or so is a very nice inexpensive guitar and is consistantly nice sounding as are most Taylors.

Edited per forum rules. $
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 05:38:05 AM by TaylorGirl »

verichai

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 01:00:58 PM »
Of course, Taylor makes fantastic instruments (as we all know). I owned a BBT, and the thing is, yes, it sounded great and played beautifully. The Washburn also sounds and plays beautifully and is a much nicer guitar, by every measure. The materials and specs are far superior, and it cost the same amount of money as a new BBT. That's what is so impressive, the value of the playing experience.

To get a spruce/rosewood guitar with both a beveled arm relief and the word 'Taylor' on the headstock would cost many of thousands of dollars... 

korlob

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 11:25:30 AM »
I've owned a couple Washburns. Still have a WF10s, which is basically an OM type guitar. It's a lovely size and shaped guitar to play. Sounds good. Maybe not great, but  as good as most solid top, laminate back and sides types. Its my travel guitar. It did need some fret leveling and re-crowning to get it close to Taylor playability.
I looked at a Comfort series GA type cutaway with a koa top in a local store. I thought it was gorgeous! Enjoy!

Taylor 524
Taylor Solidbody Standard

verichai

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 11:29:11 AM »
Thanks, I plan to!

korlob

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 11:42:51 AM »
A friend of mine has owned a Martin D28 for about 30 years. He likes to borrow my Washburn when he travels. Says it has a good tone. That says something. Of course I prefer my Taylor, and it needed nothing done aside from a truss rod tweak, but it cost ten times as much!
Taylor 524
Taylor Solidbody Standard