Author Topic: Hello Everyone and Welcome!  (Read 112629 times)

rhemphill

Re: Hello Everyone and Welcome!
« Reply #300 on: April 11, 2019, 11:09:16 AM »
Hello fellow guitar enthusiast. My name is Roger and  I'm from New Brunswick, Canada and I'm a self taught home guitar player. I'm 52 and a single Dad to 3 wonderful daughters. I own a telecaster, stratocaster and a yamaha acoustic (can't remember the model). Since hearing and reading about the Taylor guitars I've always wanted one. Well, this week i picked up a 110e and am very impressed with the rich sound. I'm not sure how much input I will be able to contribute but, looking forward to learning new things on the forum. Take care fellow strummers :)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #301 on: April 11, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Roger, and to the Taylor family.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

dobrodado

« Reply #302 on: May 15, 2019, 08:37:41 AM »
Thank you, Josh. I am dobrodado. I began playing guitar with a mail-order electric guitar and amp from a magazine around 1966 at the age of 14. Didn't know if I had any talent or not, but my interests in the Rolling Stones, Beach boys, Beatles, lovinspoonful, Mamas & Papas from WLS Chicago, and a bunch of different folk players kept me trying. Within a couple years, my dad met a banjo player. I had wanted to play a banjo, but had never come across one at that time. Although I took a few guitar lessons from Jimmy Wilson in Lafayette, Indiana, at a music store I can't remember, my banjo lessons from telephone lineman Vic Rigsby outside Fort Wayne, Indiana really seemed to stick. I jumped on the Scruggs style using plastic finger picks, and shortly went to a plastic some pick and pointy Ernie Ball metal finger picks.  Within two years of getting my first lessons on a homemade five string, I lived in South Carolina and at 17 helped for a country rock band with some friends called sour mash at the University of SC. All the time. I kept playing both five string banjo and acoustic guitar. About 35 years later, I got a Taylor 814 CE and gave all my other acoustic guitars away. It is my only acoustic guitar that I play on stage and it is ailing, electronically. I also have a few slides, including Weissenborns, square neck resos, a custom lap steel and an old studio Les Paul.  Since my son has lived in Southeast Asia, he has brought me a weird metal banjo from Myanmar, a Dro-ou (spelling) with a snakeskin head from Cambodia and a horse head fiddle from Mongolia. My niece gave me a partially destroyed mandolin, which I restored and I am currently teaching a grandchild the ukulele.  That's about it. I have played in the same eclectic acoustic six person group with slight personnel changes for over a decade in Columbia, South Carolina.    I joined this forum because I am having trouble with the expression system on my Taylor guitar and I am going to look for some other people who have addressed this challenge. Taylor's approach takes a lot of time and money and shipping my instrument.  I'm against that.  I am in a fix, and I have a gig next Monday and I am going to have to borrow somebody else's guitar, because my sound guy refuses to Mic my guitar. Meeting with my Luthier friend today for him to examine it and help me think about it. Thanks for setting up and maintaining this site, y'all.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #303 on: May 15, 2019, 10:43:39 AM »
Welcome dobrodado! Stick around, there are many helpful folks here.
Susie

drmmrr55

« Reply #304 on: May 16, 2019, 04:02:34 AM »
Hi all...I've been playing guitar for over 40 years, and in all that time, I just kinda dabbled in acoustic guitar. (mostly electric player here) so I don't really have the chops, but recently decided I wanted to seriously learn to play acoustic. I have owned several el cheapo acoustics in that amount of time, and would play for short periods before deciding it was too hard, and went back to electric. Kind of a weird intro I know, anyway, my story is: I traded away my beloved Gibson Midtown Standard for a made in Mexico 210e SB DLX, and am amazed at both the how easy it is to play, and even more important, how good this guitar sounds! The action is not totally unlike an electric.

It is more difficult still than an electric, (probably just because the strings are heavier gauge), but I believe I can get used to playing this 210 because the action is quite low, and yet, no buzzing. If it weren't for such short fingers, I think even playing a barre F in the first position would be easy, except I have a little trouble with the 6th string. Anyway, I go by drmmrr55, but my name is Ron, and I wish I had gotten a Taylor many years ago....If I only knew! After trying many, many different higher quality guitars, I've come to the conclusion that Taylor's were made for players like me, who need quality instruments to get over the hump, of the difficulties involved with playing acoustic guitars with heavier string gauges.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:05:05 AM by drmmrr55 »

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #305 on: May 16, 2019, 05:35:05 AM »
Welcome Ron. Taylor definitely creates guitars that are comfortable to play. They are beautiful too!  :)
Susie

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #306 on: May 16, 2019, 08:52:29 AM »
Welcome Ron

Your story is familiar around here - lots of electric players who found their ideal acoustic in Taylor. I've always been a primarily acoustic player in my 50 years of playing, having played and owned many quality brands over the years. I came to Taylor in the late nineties and have never looked back.

Enjoy your stay!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Broe66

« Reply #307 on: May 18, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »
Chicago native and current SoCal resident here. Hadn’t picked up a guitar since my daughter broke the neck on my 65 Gibson SG about 22 years ago. Decided to pick up playing again and knew I wanted a guitar that would inspire me to play and wanted to go the acoustic route. Tried out a few different Taylors at GC then toured the Factory. In the price range I was looking at I was deciding between new GP 317 and the 324ce.  Settled on the 324ce. Couldn’t be happier.  Using the Fender app to get reacquainted with playing again.  Appreciate all of the info provided on the forum.  Used it as a guest while I was researching which guitar to buy.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #308 on: May 19, 2019, 08:28:56 AM »
Chicago native and current SoCal resident here. Hadn’t picked up a guitar since my daughter broke the neck on my 65 Gibson SG about 22 years ago. Decided to pick up playing again and knew I wanted a guitar that would inspire me to play and wanted to go the acoustic route. Tried out a few different Taylors at GC then toured the Factory. In the price range I was looking at I was deciding between new GP 317 and the 324ce.  Settled on the 324ce. Couldn’t be happier.  Using the Fender app to get reacquainted with playing again.  Appreciate all of the info provided on the forum.  Used it as a guest while I was researching which guitar to buy.
Welcome back and congrats on the new 324ce....a great choice!
Susie

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #309 on: May 19, 2019, 09:44:37 AM »
Welcome Broe66

You chose one of the coolest Taylor models out there these days. Play on and enjoy!

rharmon

« Reply #310 on: July 14, 2019, 09:32:54 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am glad to be invited to this forum. I am a huge Taylor enthusiast. My son and I both own Taylor Guitars. My favorite is currently a GS5 - beautiful sound! My son lives in Orange CA and we have both been to the Taylor Factory in El Cajon several times. The factory tour really sells you on Taylor quality.

Thanks,
Ron

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #311 on: July 15, 2019, 09:18:44 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I am glad to be invited to this forum. I am a huge Taylor enthusiast. My son and I both own Taylor Guitars. My favorite is currently a GS5 - beautiful sound! My son lives in Orange CA and we have both been to the Taylor Factory in El Cajon several times. The factory tour really sells you on Taylor quality.

Thanks,
Ron
Welcome Ron. I understand your love for the GS5. I had the 12 string version. A truly special guitar. Enjoy your time here.
Susie

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #312 on: July 16, 2019, 08:26:53 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Ron

Glad to have you here Ron!  ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #313 on: July 16, 2019, 08:41:13 AM »
Welcome Ron. Does your GS5 have a cedar or spruce top? In any case, that pure acoustic series was very nice while it lasted. Enjoy your stay!

Flying Staple

« Reply #314 on: September 02, 2019, 12:48:03 PM »
Hi, my name is Bud. I am from Vancouver WA.  I have played in church for many years. I was play an Ovation but recently bought a Taylor guitar. I love the bell sound of the Taylor and I have orders a 714 V class to add to my collection. The electric guitar if a beautiful instrument but there is such a sweetness to an acoustic that I love.