Author Topic: Hello Everyone and Welcome!  (Read 112569 times)

mizdeb

Re: Hello Everyone and Welcome!
« Reply #345 on: October 21, 2020, 07:08:39 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm a new player and new Taylor gs mini Koa owner. I started playing about 9 months ago, at the age of 71. Always wanted to learn guitar. I was a clarinet player in high school and haven't played an instrument since. I thought learning to play guitar would help keep my mind sharp. Little did I know that a lot of it is stretching to reach weird finger positions with somewhat arthritic  fingers. But I love the sound of my new (to me) Taylor. That Koa gs mini sounds so sweet. I am selling 2 guitars that I started on, a Little Martin and a folk size Simon & Patrick, to finance this purchase. I'm taking paid lessons online on Guitar Tricks. At some point I expect I will need some in person lessons but it's difficult on a retiree salary. So I soldier on. Good to meet all of you!
I have one quick question. Is there a strap that fits GS mini that you can use a strap lock on? The straps I have barely fit on the bottom of the guitar where the electronic plug in is, with no room for a washer. How do gs mini owners secure their straps?

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #346 on: October 21, 2020, 07:26:58 PM »
Welcome Deb!

Taylor's strap pins are notoriously hard to fit a strap on. One tip I've seen on this forum is to wet the leather or suede strap end and press the hole between two quarters on a vice grip. Once dry, the strap should more easily fit on the pin.  Enjoy your new journey!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #347 on: October 21, 2020, 08:26:19 PM »
Welcome. You will do just fine with guitar, as long as you have determination. We are here to help along the way, should you have questions. Strumming Fool has the known fix for leather strap ends on Taylor's. It should do the trick.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Cris_GSMP

« Reply #348 on: October 22, 2020, 03:55:50 AM »
Hello!!!

My name is Cris and a Brazilian living in Switzerland. I have been playing guitar alreadly for few years I am had been dreaming with a Taylor guitar since a I had the chance to play few models in a music store.

It came out that the GS-mini-plus was my choice. Apart from being an outstanding piece of work, the fact that it is small enough to bring it with me wherever I go, was a major featured considered. Pricewise, I was also bending to Taylor 214ce-K but I am happy with my choice.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #349 on: October 22, 2020, 05:35:46 AM »
Welcome Cris, from a fellow, happy GSM koa plus owner.
Susie

hcmitchell54

« Reply #350 on: October 22, 2020, 01:17:16 PM »
Hi everyone!

I recently began the journey to learn guitar and so far, so good. One goal is to prove that you can teach an old dog (66yo) new tricks. ;D

While I don't own a Taylor at the moment, that is my 6-month goal. I've started with a $150 Ibanez which a friend graciously tweaked for me - lowered the action, better strings - and it's a decent instrument, but I've handled (not played) a couple of my son's Taylors and I'm shooting for a 314ce when I've progressed enough.

Given daily practice, a minimum of 15 minutes - I expect to reach that point next March when I've committed the time and effort to justify spending $2K.

I don't have any questions at this time but look forward to joining the community of Taylor owners.

Cheers,

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #351 on: October 22, 2020, 01:19:32 PM »
Hi everyone!

I recently began the journey to learn guitar and so far, so good. One goal is to prove that you can teach an old dog (66yo) new tricks. ;D

While I don't own a Taylor at the moment, that is my 6-month goal. I've started with a $150 Ibanez which a friend graciously tweaked for me - lowered the action, better strings - and it's a decent instrument, but I've handled (not played) a couple of my son's Taylors and I'm shooting for a 314ce when I've progressed enough.

Given daily practice, a minimum of 15 minutes - I expect to reach that point next March when I've committed the time and effort to justify spending $2K.

I don't have any questions at this time but look forward to joining the community of Taylor owners.

Cheers,
Welcome to the forum. Your goal for a 314ce is wonderful. You won't be disappointed.
Susie

hcmitchell54

« Reply #352 on: November 01, 2020, 08:39:35 PM »
Thanks, and I still hope to reach that goal, although the time frame may be farther out...since I just got my first Taylor, a new 214ce-SG LTD. Got a good deal on a showroom model and couldn't pass it up. I tried out a different 214 and the difference between playing that and my Ibanez was so huge! Practicing is much more enjoyable with this guitar, my motivation went through the roof. Chord changes are smoother, scales, fingerpicking, everything I can do up to this point.

My son went to CME with me and gave it his blessing. He has a 714ce and even he was impressed, plus it's an absolutely gorgeous instrument.

Cheers,

BrianB

« Reply #353 on: March 21, 2021, 01:05:10 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm Brian.  I am using the Pandemic as a reason to get back into learning to play.  I'm guitar rich and talent poor.  I got a 414ce Ovangkol last April, followed it up with a 414ce-R (long story) and have a 814ce on it's way to me.  Oh yeah, I got a Mahogany Mini when I got the first 414ce as part of their promotion. Poor thing, doesn't get much attention.

So does anyone know why they discontinued the Ovangkol 414ce?  I'm trying to decide which of the two 414s to let go of when the 814ce arrives.  They are both great guitars, the Ovangkol is about a year older and does sound a bit different/better(?) than the Rosewood.  I'm thinking of letting the Rosewood go as the 814, I assume, will be similar in tone.   Thoughts?

Looking forward to getting to being able to move about and hopefully find some people to play/practice with.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #354 on: March 22, 2021, 07:47:00 PM »
... So does anyone know why they discontinued the Ovangkol 414ce?  I'm trying to decide which of the two 414s to let go of when the 814ce arrives.  They are both great guitars, the Ovangkol is about a year older and does sound a bit different/better(?) than the Rosewood.  I'm thinking of letting the Rosewood go as the 814, I assume, will be similar in tone.   Thoughts...?

Hi, Brian and welcome!  I wasn't aware that Taylor discontinued their use of Ovangkol; it still shows it as one of the tonewoods offered on the Taylor web site -- but then again, their web site is notorious for being behind the times, so to speak...

In any case, my initial recommendation would be the direction you're already heading:  if you only plan to keep two guitars, keep the Ovangkol 414ce and the 814ce.  While the 414ce-R is Rosewood, and should have a similar tone to the 814ce, they're not guaranteed to have identical tones due to differences in internal bracing.  So you might compare them side-by-side when your 814ce arrives and judge for yourself which has the more appealing tone to your ear.  There's no right or wrong answer here.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #355 on: March 25, 2021, 11:07:46 AM »
So does anyone know why they discontinued the Ovangkol 414ce?

Bob Taylor has said in print that "... getting ethically sourced ovangkol can be challenging....".  I don't know exactly what that means as he never elaborated, but they have cut down on its use.  I have owned ovangkol 414ce, 410, and a T5 Classic.  It is a great guitar wood which I often call "rose-hogany" having tonal elements of both rosewood and mahogany.  The EQ curve is pretty flat, unlike scooped rosewood or mid-emphasized mahogany.

I agree with Timfitz - the 414-R and the incoming 814 will be redundant, but will sound different.  Although I sold mine last year as part of downsizing, the 414ce was a favorite and reliable guitar over the 19 years that I owned it.  I kinda hated to see it go, but I cannot keep them all.....
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

SparkMark

« Reply #356 on: April 21, 2021, 09:47:40 AM »
Hello everyone,

Playing my new Builder's Edition 652ce Natural is so much fun! This is my first Taylor guitar and I like it a lot. It is part of my guitar family joining my Fender Strat, Ovation, and Martin D42.

I used to play professionally many decades ago.  Now, I do weekly community (do they still call them?) gigs just for fun.   :-)

Joining this forum will help me gain much knowledge about Taylor Guitars, I'm sure.

Wishing all good health and happiness,
SparkMark
Be well, stay safe, and keep smiling,
SparkMark

Deathray

« Reply #357 on: April 21, 2021, 12:40:46 PM »
Hi everyone!
I’m Jeff, and I recently purchased my first Taylor. It is a GS Mini Koa Plus, which I love playing. I love how easy it is to just grab, and play whenever. More importantly, I find it to be a gateway drug to the rest of the Taylor line. I’m here to learn as much as possible, through other’s experiences and preferences.
I must say, there’s something special about Taylors. Every one I have picked up has seemed “just right”. I respect everything Bob Taylor has done with His ebony mill. Once I saw his videos, I knew I wanted to own a Taylor!

Group87

Re: Hello Everyone and Welcome! Hello from Aberdeen NJ
« Reply #358 on: May 10, 2021, 05:42:22 PM »
been playing guitar with my duo AERIAL ACOUSTICS for 26 years.My partner plays a 914c but that's another story. I have in my possession two 912s  A custom one with a cedar top and a builders edition. two different tones....two different neck scales of which at first I was concerned. Coming from owning several 14s I went to a smaller body two years ago with my custom. I had Taylor make my 914c with a standard scale like my older 14s. But I needed a backup guitar so a month ago I bought the builders edition with the smaller scale. The interestin g this is I also have a Les Paul which has a shorter scale. Most Gibisons I hear have shorter scale neck. Both 9112s are great. My custom uses a  K&K pickup......And the builders is stock
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 05:45:48 PM by Group87 »
812c & 912c BTO  Cedar top Rosewood B&S

Sixx String Jani

« Reply #359 on: May 27, 2021, 08:46:51 AM »
Sixx String Jani is in the building!
We love each other but sometimes we fight .... "Lets not fight tonight"...