Author Topic: Hello Everyone and Welcome!  (Read 111993 times)

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Hello Everyone and Welcome!
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2014, 01:07:28 PM »
Guess this is where I say "Hi" to everybody.

My name's Tim, and I'm a Taylorholic...  ;)

My journey as a guitar player and Taylor owner began many years ago, when I was just a tyke growing up in Pittsburgh, PA.  For Christmas one year, I received a child's guitar; it was little more than a toy, but it had six strings and one could theoretically play it.  But I really hadn't a clue what to do with it, so I just did what kids mostly do:  I pretended to play it by going through the motions of strumming and plucking it...  It eventually got put aside or handed down to a sibling, and some years went by...

Next stop was college.  A fellow student with whom I was acquainted at WVU had an old, beat up guitar that he apparently didn't want any longer.  I can't even recall what the make was, but suffice it to say it wasn't a particularly expensive guitar.  I was in the right place at the right time, and he gave it to me -- along with the knowledge of how to play the opening of "Stairway To Heaven."  So, armed with that little a bit of knowledge, I was inspired to wandered into some of the music stores in Morgantown where I eventually picked up a few used published song books that showed the chords to many of ELO's hit songs, and began teaching myself how to play those songs.  I passed that guitar on a few years later when I graduated from college and got my first job in the Southern Maryland area...

Now that I'd become a productive member of society, I decided I wanted a new guitar, and picked up an Applause round-back acoustic/electric guitar.  It was a fine enough guitar, and was truly all I could afford at the time.  I played it regularly for about 5 years or so, then put it aside for some reason.  That guitar followed me (in its case) to subsequent jobs in Kansas, and then to Texas, but rarely got played during that intervening 20 or so years...

Fast forward to August 2012, and an extended trip back home to Pittsburgh.  Out of the blue, my brother announces to me that he wanted to take guitar lessons.  We headed on out to a local Guitar Center, where he picked up a relatively nice Yamaha dreadnought, but couldn't find anyone there who provided lessons.  That led us to eventually darken the steps of Empire Music in Mt. Lebanon.  As my brother was chatting with the shop proprietor (Joe) about taking lessons there, I wandered into the back of the store -- into the climate-controlled area where the really good stuff was kept -- and decided I should see if I could remember anything.  Quite at random, I pulled a Taylor off the wall (as I recall, it was the Custom GA that I eventually purchased), and sat down to try my out-of-practice hand at "Stairway To Heaven."  I was truly astounded by the sound I heard, even when it was produced by the two hams on the ends of my arms...  I turned over the price tag and was, again, somewhat astounded...  I looked at the name on the headstock and, frankly, thought "Who's Taylor...?"  But the sound and craftsmanship of the guitar were so compelling that I just kept plucking away.  Soon, Joe and my brother joined me in the room.  After learning more about Taylor and their guitars -- and some cajoling from my brother -- I bought my first two Taylor guitars from Joe in November of 2012:  a Custom GA with Sitka Spruce top and Makore back/sides; and a 656ce (I've always like the sound of 12-string guitars).

Well, it's just kind of snowballed since then -- as you can, no doubt, see from my forum signature.  For a while, it seemed as if I'd joined Taylor's Guitar-of-the-Month Club...  But it's all good:  I've become something of a collector of Taylor guitars (stumbling across a NOS Liberty Tree Guitar during the past year -- #400); I'm playing regularly again; and some days I even think I'm not half bad...  I think, unlike the other guitars I've owned, my Taylor guitars have inspired me to be worthy of the truly fine musical instruments I've purchased, so my enthusiasm for playing and learning hasn't waned.  I also can't allow my brother (who's now also picked up a few Taylors from Joe) to be better than me...  ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:05:30 AM by timfitz63 »
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
Hi Tim and welcome to the UTGF! :) You certainly have amassed quite a nice collection of Taylor Guitars! Have fun playing them and nice to have you here! ;D
Cindy

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2014, 09:40:55 AM »
Hi Tim and welcome to the UTGF! :) You certainly have amassed quite a nice collection of Taylor Guitars! Have fun playing them and nice to have you here! ;D

Thank you, Cindy!  Looking forward to participating as I learn!

Oh, and a very appropriate avatar that you have there!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:41:49 PM by timfitz63 »
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

quickpickinfunstrummin

« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2014, 07:17:04 PM »
Hello,
Great forum you've all got here, very cordial and informative, with people mutually helping each other out. I will need the 12 step program to stop buying these amazing Taylor guitars. Where in the forum to look for advice on replacing saddles?
2013 456ce FLTD (Sitka/Rosewood)
2013 516e FLTD (European Spruce/Figured Mahogany)
Epiphone 1979 NV245, 12 string

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »
Hello,
Great forum you've all got here, very cordial and informative, with people mutually helping each other out. I will need the 12 step program to stop buying these amazing Taylor guitars. Where in the forum to look for advice on replacing saddles?

Bob Colosi does some incredible work creating saddles for Taylor guitars. Nice to have you here! :D

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/
Cindy

quickpickinfunstrummin

« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2014, 11:21:16 PM »
Thank you Cindy. Just bought a Colosi W. African hard ivory saddle in fact for the 516e FLTD, but I probably sanded it down wrong and I wasn't able to get my head around the sound. That saddle went into the 414 and is making that guitar sound great. Maybe a mahogany guitar just goes better with the micarta...not sure, will look around the forum. :)
2013 456ce FLTD (Sitka/Rosewood)
2013 516e FLTD (European Spruce/Figured Mahogany)
Epiphone 1979 NV245, 12 string

Puck1202

« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2014, 09:07:24 PM »
My name is Scott. I have been playing for about two years. I live in a rather remote region of Tennessee and the closest guitar instructor is 65 miles away so I am teachings elf.

I have several guitars including a Taylor 914 C and waiting on delivery of a custom GA with the Brushfire finish.

I am retired now but was a software engineer for 28 years. My hopy has always been furnature making until I discovered guitars. They are now my passion.

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2014, 11:20:12 PM »
 Hi Scott. Welcome to the UTGF. Glad you found us. Looking forward to seeing your new GA. :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Mountaindog

« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2014, 01:03:54 AM »
My name is Brian, stumbled upon the forum when googling Taylor and looks like a lot of good info. I play acoustic in church and have many acoustics with a Taylor 114ce, 310ce, 314ce and 612ce among them.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2014, 06:21:25 AM »
Welcome Brian....nice family of Taylors that you have. We're glad you found us and joined. My roots were also playing acoustic in church....about 15 years.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2014, 09:06:47 PM »
 Hi Brian. Welcome to the UTGF. Glad you found us. Enjoy. :)
Shayne

2014 Taylor 524ce
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic

tzinkona

• tzinkona
« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2014, 09:33:14 PM »
Hello Josh and forum members.  Sure glad this forum is here, love my Taylor but the official site is a little weak in the forum department.  I played guitar in my teens and early 20.s but gave up playing for decades too long due to a crazy career.  Always dreamed someday of getting a dream guitar and after retiring I bought a Gibson Hummingbird last year.  I also decided to learn to read music and I am about a year into that. 

About six months ago I drove 110 miles to the other side of the Big Island, Hawaii, where I live to the Hilo Guitar shop.  It is to my delight a authorized Taylor Guitar Dealer.  I wanted something I could fingerpick as my Gibson is a dreadnaught booming strumming type guitar.  The first guitar I played at the shop was a 612 ce.  Love at first sight and the tone....well you know!

So I count my blessings, I have a great fingerpicker and a great strummer.  I have to admit as much as I love my Hummingbird, I usually play that gorgeous Taylor 75% of the time.  Speaking of time, I usually practice my guitar playing two to three hours daily and try to keep up on my music lessons (Gibson Learn and Master dvd's).  Sometimes hard to find the time as I have to walk the dog for an hour each morning, then do a two hour bicycle ride or long run each day, do yard work, wash the car, take out the trash....boy just thinking of all that makes me think it's nap time...or maybe I'll just change strings.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2014, 09:51:36 PM »
Welcome tzinkona. Would love to see a pic of your maple GC. We don't see too many of those around here. Glad you joined Taylor and the official unofficial forum.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2014, 12:52:38 AM »
 Hi TZ. Welcome to the UTGF. Congrats on both guitars. I'm jealous of your brutal schedule. Makes me feel like a slacker. :) Enjoy. 
Shayne

2014 Taylor 524ce
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic

Doug B

• I am, therefore I think
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2014, 11:36:17 PM »
Hi members - I'm Doug from Washington state, and two days ago became a member of the Taylor family(although not thru marriage). I've had about a 20-year hiatus from playing, but recently felt the "bug" again. I decided to purchase a new acoustic. I did my homework(internet) and narrowed my choices. I visited the local guitar shops and played a few in my desired category. Although I had another brand in mind, as soon as I picked up the Taylor(414ce SLTD) I was sold. Not only did it sound the best it also felt the best. I just hope that I can remember some of my tunes, let alone some of the Beatles, Zeppelin, Floyd…etc... that I liked to play. I look forward to the time ahead with this guitar and on this forum.
1958 Rickenbacker 345
1979 Ovation Celebrity
1981 Gibson Sonex-180 Deluxe
2014 Taylor 414ce SLTD