Author Topic: Hello Everyone and Welcome!  (Read 112551 times)

John

Re: Hello Everyone and Welcome!
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2013, 03:05:30 AM »
Thanks Shane, I ordered the 512ce 12 fret today. I have been playing a classical guitar for several years after I got tired of my own playing and started classical guitar lessons. I missed the steel string sound and my Guild J30 Jumbo didn't work well for finger style. Then I started researching Taylor's and found a 12 fret cedar over hog and my mind was made up. The amazing sound coming from that little gc was heavenly. The transition from playing a classical guitar to the 12 was easy. It was the answer to my needs. Now I just have to wait til delivery.
2013 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
Takamine 132sc - Classical
Fender Strat

mcp

« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2013, 06:10:05 PM »
Hi all,   i,m mitch from tallahassee fl. i have just started looking at taylors , i'm glad i found the forum. There is a lot of good info here, thanks

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »
Hi all,   i,m mitch from tallahassee fl. i have just started looking at taylors , i'm glad i found the forum. There is a lot of good info here, thanks

It's great to have you here!!!  :D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2013, 07:37:37 PM »
 Hi Mitch. Welcome to the UTGF. This is a great place to look and learn about Taylor guitars. Enjoy.  :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Beanoville

« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2013, 04:07:47 PM »
When I was in my 20's (I'm in my 60's now) I had one of the "purported" last completely hand made Martin D-35's.  All through my 20's I was very active in bands and
fell totally in love with that guitar.  When I was 32, it was stolen.  I had an Epiphone laying around but my music playing days were essentially over.  I continued to noodle
on whatever was around but my heart wasn't in it. Enter my hubby..  Through a friend he came upon  a 1982 model Taylor 810 for a thousand bucks!!
I fell in love with it at first sight.  The tone is so rich and it can take a lot of "Player abuse"...I use a lot of tunings and play a very percussive style...think Shawn Colvin.  Anyway, I've refound
my passion and only had to have the action lowered a tad (a concession to arthritis that makes it harder to bar chords.)
So that's me and I'm happy to be here!
Diane (Beano)

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2013, 02:27:45 PM »
 Hi Diane. Welcome to the UTGF. Great introduction. It sucks that your D-35 was stolen. I've taken a few years "off" for various reasons, but seem to be moving in the right direction now. Congrats on your "new" 810 and the renewed passion.  Enjoy.  :)
Shayne

2014 Taylor 524ce
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic

Letsemgo

« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2013, 06:27:30 PM »
Thank you kind Sir...I'm new myself and have been lurking in the background and learning quite a bit about Taylor guitars..super forum, great people..thanks again
2013 GS Mini-e Mahogany
2004 Taylor Big Baby
2013 414ce-FLTD
2006 Guild D50

Cowboy Kevin

• Its supposed to be fun-thats why its called playin
    • Cowboy Kevin Music
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »
Hi Josh~
I'm Kevin, but most people call me Cowboy.
I am 56 years old and have been playing guitar since the 3rd grade.  My mom didn't like to drive so I used to have to ride my bike the 5 miles into town with my aqua colored electric Silvertone guitar...that is until my bike was stolen from outside the music store during a lesson.  From that point on, I had to hitchhike to my guitar lesson; yes, I had to hitchhike when I was in the 3rd grade. 
When I got to my lesson, often times the door to the music shop was locked, which meant that I had to go into the bar next door and drag my guitar teacher out so I could have my lesson.
He had me playing songs like "Blue, Blue, My Love Is Blue."  Needless to say, my interest quickly waned.
After that I had an old no name hollow bodied arch top electric guitar.  It only had 3 strings on it so I unraveled a screen wire to make a B and an E string and played without a D string.  I wrote songs like "She Stuck Me With Needles And She Killed Me With Knives" ...but at least I wrote as early as the 4th grade.
One day a factory near where I lived burned down and we kids scavenged it after the firemen left.  One of the buildings held a music warehouse with cheap low end products.  I scavenged a plastic tambourine, a harmonica that didn't really work, a broken banjo that was unrepairable, and 5 or 6 sets of guitar strings.  Those strings lasted me throughout my whole childhood.
There were a lot of factories near where I lived, both beyond the woods across the street, and all along the rail road tracks, which were about a block and a half away.  Behind one of them were stored thousands of discarded skids (or pallets, if you don't know what a skid is).  Now, most kids back then built a clubhouse or two, some kids built forts, some kids built tree houses (we built a couple of those too, but we built "shacks," and we used the wood from the stolen skids to do it. 
These were elaborate structures with multiple rooms, second floors, lookout towers, windows that opened (wood, not glass), secret passages, and one even had an elevator, which worked well the first day, until someone got hurt and nobody wanted to use it anymore.  We would cover these shacks in tar paper so that they would stay dry.  Oh yeah, I should mention that every room was about 3 to 3 1/2'' square--width, length, and height--because that was how big the skids were.
As you can imagine, these shacks were pretty ugly to look at--a genuine eyesore!  So of course we weren't allowed to build then in our own yards.  Instead, we built them near the factories at the edge of the woods.  But the factory owners didn't like them either so they would often tear them down, cursing us kids, cause tearing 'em down was no easy task...we literally used THOUSANDS of nails!
One time we built a cool one next to the RR tracks.  It was 8 rooms arranged in a square with a center courtyard.  You could close the outside doors and open the inside doors and have a camp fire in the middle, and nobody could see it. 
The problem with that one was a bit different.  You see, there was an old mansion further on down the tracks.  iTunes to be the home of the guy that Jones Beach (on Long Island) was named after.  This was once an opulent Gold Coast mansion in the style of the Great Gadsby era, but now was run down and operated by the state.  It was called the Jones' Institute back then, and one of the things they did there was what people referred to as an "old age home."  The truth was that they did alcohol rehab for older men who had no home.  These guys would ride in on the rails in freight trains that they had stowed away on, get drunk, then arrested, and remanded to the Jones' Institute.  Hoboes, they were called back in the old days, but we just called them "bums."
One evening, shortly after we completed the shack by the RR tracks, it was getting dark and hard to see inside the shack. We lit some candles and saw a bum laying in the next room.  We thought he was a dead guy, and ran screaming from the shack.  Outside the shack, of course nothing happened, so curiosity got the best of us and we furtively went back inside.  We put pennies on his eyes and a small flat rock on his forehead, and still couldn't believe that we had our very own dead guy right there.
Scotty got bold and dripped wax onto the flat rock in some sort of made up pagan ritualistic manner that could have only been dreamed up by a kid with an over active imagination.  As the hot wax rolled off the rock and onto the dead guy's forehead, the dead guy suddenly woke up screaming!
We ran, but he couldn't chase us, and we realized he was just passed out drunk.
The next night, he was gone, but a really old bum came upon us with a guitar strapped to his back with an old frayed rope.  He was nice to us and gave us candy.  He was a really respected bum, among the world of bums, and over the weeks that followed, introduced us to some of their friends.  We would go steal packages of hotdogs from the A&P and vegetables from local gardens and they'd make "hobo stew," and we would listen as our friend would play the blues on this old beat-to-crap Martin guitar.  He would make up the words on the spot and include our names in the stories, and he would sing about where he has been...Topeka...Santa Fe...Chicago...  He had been everywhere.  So we called him god (from the Baltimore Catechism:"Where is God?  God is everywhere.") ...but with a small g of course.
I loved the storied songs and the 12 bar blues became ingrained in my mind.
Then one day, I was watching a TV show called "The Courtship of Eddie's Father."  In that show, Eddie was playing a blues progression in A.  Two strings, two fingers, then up a string to D...then down two strings to E.  I recognized it right away and thought I could do that.  I must have played that progression every day for a couple of years, every which way, fast, slow, and then I got fancy.  That is when I really started playing guitar.  ...plus it helped get me laid in HS.   
Taylors:‘14 PS14CE-FLTD, 814-CE
Martins:D-45, D-28, GPCPA1
Gibsons:’63 B25-12,'79 ES335,'78 Les Paul, ’63 SG, ’15 Les Paul
Fenders:’79 MIJ Strat, ’16 USA Strat, ’99 Tele, Jazz Bass Std
Rickenbackers: 620, 330/12
Line 6 Variax: Acoustic700, JTV69S, STD LTD 20th Anniv
Guild F-412
Ovation
Duesenberg MC

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2013, 01:59:50 AM »
 Welcome Cowboy. Try reading that with a straight-face.  ;) Reminds me of The Steakhouse Incident. Enjoy the site.  :)
Shayne

2014 Taylor 524ce
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic

holmesrt

« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2013, 06:39:03 PM »
I am really glad I found this site. I am one year player that just bought a gs mini and need all the help I can get.
Looking forward to reading all of the advise.
Rick
Taylor 614ce
Taylor GS Mini
Seagull Entourage

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »
I am really glad I found this site. I am one year player that just bought a gs mini and need all the help I can get.
Looking forward to reading all of the advise.
Welcome holmesrt.  It is a great place for all things Taylor.  enjoy
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Happypicker

• Hi from Vancouver Island
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2014, 02:45:05 PM »
Hi everyone, I have been a Taylor owner for over 25 years, I bought 1987  510 way back then, still have it. I now have 2005 915ce and was doing a Google search on it which lead me to this forum. I find it to be very interesting and informative. Look forward to checking in on it,and keeping up with what's going on in the Taylor world. I live on Vancouver Island, Canada.
1987 510 Taylor
2005 915 ce
2008 Morgan DR
1966 Yamaha 12 string
1982 A model Martin mandolin
3 fiddles
3 tenor banjos
 Bobby Henshaw Baritone Uke
Banjolin (OLD)
AM150 Traynor Acoustic Master

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2014, 12:20:04 AM »
Hi everyone, I have been a Taylor owner for over 25 years, I bought 1987  510 way back then, still have it. I now have 2005 915ce and was doing a Google search on it which lead me to this forum. I find it to be very interesting and informative. Look forward to checking in on it,and keeping up with what's going on in the Taylor world. I live on Vancouver Island, Canada.

It's great to have you here!!!! ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2014, 01:04:42 AM »
 Hi Happypicker. Welcome to the UTGF. I'd love to see your "vintage" Taylor pics. Glad you found us. Enjoy. :)
Shayne

2014 Taylor 524ce
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2014, 08:12:13 AM »
Welcome Happypicker.  I had a 510 it was a L9 model with short scale neck.  Yours has some of that vintage vibe, and I bet it sounds great. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.