Author Topic: If Only Two Guitars?  (Read 6300 times)

krugjr

• Veteran Member
If Only Two Guitars?
« on: November 22, 2014, 03:18:04 PM »
Just wondering what's most important to you.....if you were "limited to two Taylors" would they both be the same shape with two different wood combinations, or would they both have the same wood combination with two different shapes?
Music.....the Universal Language!

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
Re: If Only Two Guitars?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 03:59:59 PM »
I'll soon have 4 and that's a hard question for me. My opinion is you should go for something different - maybe tone wood if you really have decided you love one particular shape, or both a different tone wood and shape. Another route to go is GS Mini if you have the opportunity to travel with a guitar or want one you're not afraid to take outside.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »
I'd go with two different shapes and different tone woods. Out of my current stable, probably the K24ce and the 512ce.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 05:08:45 PM »
If limited to two, I'd definitely have one as the "big sounding" guitar (whatever size that actually works out to) with electronics for live, and the other as the smaller "intimate" guitar that has all the tone and balance I want, but in the smaller "comfort" package.  As for woods, I don't make the final consideration on species, but on tone; tone is what will turn me :)

Edward

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 12:54:58 AM »
 My Taylor 314ce and Martin 000-28EC would be my 1-2 punch. Don't tell the others. ;)   
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

ronmcc4

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 01:32:01 AM »
I think different shape and wood combinations so you have the most variation and variety. Right now I DO only have two and that's the way I went: 512e cedar/hog 12-fret and a 324ce-K Koa.
Ron in Tennessee
--------------------------------------------------------
2015 Taylor 614ce
2014 Taylor 324ce-K FLTD
2013 Taylor 512e 12-Fret
Journey OF660
2014 Taylor 514ce-N

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 01:55:30 AM »
Interesting.....most say their two guitars would be different sounding and different shapes.....I guess that's because everyone plays multiple styles and would need one for each.....I thought more of you (if limited to just two guitars) would have their favorite "tone" (woods) and would just go with that tone in two different sizes......maybe rhythm players like me  who don't play multiple styles are more apt to stick with one wood combo in two sizes.....thanks for the feedback so far!

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 05:58:15 AM »
Hmmmmm. At first I thought "that's easy, the GA12 Koa and the T5". Then on reflection I realised I couldn't live without the challenge of the 12 string so it's the GA12 Koa and the 456ce. Good question.
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

Byrdsman

• Carpe donut
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
Wow, what a tough decision! I guess I would want a six and a twelve string, so I would go with both of my 300's, the 324 and the 356.
Taylor 414ce
Taylor 524ce
Taylor GS Mini
Taylor 114ce

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »
Interesting.....most say their two guitars would be different sounding and different shapes.....I guess that's because everyone plays multiple styles and would need one for each.....I thought more of you (if limited to just two guitars) would have their favorite "tone" (woods) and would just go with that tone in two different sizes......maybe rhythm players like me who don't play multiple styles are more apt to stick with one wood combo in two sizes.....thanks for the feedback so far!

Maybe so! Now, we're getting somewhere. (You're getting unexpected responses partially because we're throwing them into a vacuum with no context.)

So, you're a flatpicking strummer only, with no desire to do any other style? And what guitar do you currently own? How many guitars have you owned? What tonewood and guitar do you currently have? What size/shape is it?  Why would you consider two, what's wrong with just the one? What's been on your mind, curious about a tonewood or a shape?

I could go on, but see what I mean? Give us some meat to chew on, it'll help us help you!

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 07:02:18 PM »
Guitarsan.....yeah, I knew the question was wide open, but you're right, I was looking for insights from those who own multiple guitars.....my question wasn't so much what would you buy, but more, which ones would you sell to get down to the last two, and what moved you to sell A B C D and E and keep F & G.....my first Taylor was a new 2009 855ce because I played acoustic 12 strings for 50 yrs...loved the sound, dream guitar.....then last Dec I decided it was time to switch to 6 strings, mostly because I started using a capo on half the songs and tuning was getting to be a problem (and I tried them all)...so the search began for my dream guitar to replace my 855.....twelve Taylors in twelve months...2012 GS8, 2013 416ce, 2010 516ce CV WW, 2014 514e FLTD, 2013 GS Mini Hog e, 2014 524e, 2003 DN W-10e, 2012 DN8, 2013 520e FE, 2013 528e, 2012 810e Proto, 2013 818e FE.....returned some, sold some, still have the '13 514e FLTD, the mini hog e, the '13 520e FE, the '12 810e Proto and the '13 818e FE.....as you said, Guitarsan, now we're getting somewhere.....the 810 Proto is the "dream guitar" for me...if I sold all the others and just kept it I'd be OK.....but...and this is where my original question came from, which one of the others would I keep to fit the "family budget" of two guitars (happy wife, happy life.....and the Lord's nudging).....if I eliminate the 514 FLTD cuz I don't play pretty enough to deserve it, then the main question is keep the tone and sound I like the best and keep both rosewood/spruces (818 and 818) very similar but still the 810 is the better for me...or make the second one the all hog 520 FE, different sound and tone but has a place in my song list for that clean, warm, less sustain and less overtone beauty of the all hogs....and the dreads became my favorite after the yr long search.......so there ya go, that's the longer version, and some of you have followed my whole year and have given me great advice (by the way, the wife agrees the mini doesn't have to count for the two, it's not going anywhere!)...so I have four of the best Taylors made for me, and I want to keep two of them.....that's where my first question came from.....thanks again to all who have chimed in this year ...it really is time to get back to writing and playing and "end" the shopping.....appreciate UTGF soooooo much!

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 07:44:36 PM »
still have the '13 514e FLTD, the mini hog e, the '13 520e FE, the '12 810e Proto and the '13 818e FE....the 810 Proto is the "dream guitar" for me...if I sold all the others and just kept it I'd be OK.....but...and this is where my original question came from, which one of the others would I keep to fit the "family budget" of two guitars (happy wife, happy life.....and the Lord's nudging).....
& then there was one -
the mini-e MH is not yet a standard model at this time, only the mini-e RW has standard ES-T,
the 520e FE has no tone 'enhancements/upgrades' over the standard model, just aesthetic touches &
the 818e FE, while it has adi AP bracing, it still has the conventional adhesives, wood thicknessing & gloss 6.0

if I eliminate the 514 FLTD cuz I don't play pretty enough to deserve it
to me, unless the 514eFLTD gets played so little, in order to prevent the first scratch
or ding from happening, i would keep this one unless the tone & feel are not desirable -
you have the means to own the guitar & the ability to appreciate the tone & aesthetics,
so, imho, you deserve it & if anyone else tells you otherwise, i believe they're jealous ::)

then the main question is keep the tone and sound I like the best and keep both rosewood/spruces (818 and 818) very similar but still the 810 is the better for me...or make the second one the all hog 520 FE, different sound and tone but has a place in my song list for that clean, warm, less sustain and less overtone beauty of the all hogs....and the dreads became my favorite after the yr long search
i beileve the 13 818e FE will not hold much more resale value, other than possibly to a collector, as the
14 818 can be ordered with adi AP (granted as part of a higher $ HP package), but it will also have the
current model 800 series changes, that have since been phased into the 614ce FE & the 520e does not
have adi bracing, but if it does have CV bracing, then it shouldn't it be punched up slightly in the
low end & mids, at least that's what i thought the goal was, specifically with spruce/rosewood models

but with all hardwood (top, back & sides), perhaps the 'perception' has changed ???
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/limited-editions/fall-2014

Tonally, the guitars will sound slightly different than their Koa Series counterparts due to the use of our 300 Series bracing scheme (Standard II) rather than the CV bracing used on the Koa Series. The Standard II will punch up the midrange and favor a powerful strummer.

based purely on tone, i think you've answered your own question -
to me, it sounds like the 810 proto & 520e  FE are the winners, but if i had that decision to make, i'd be extra
certain that once the 514eFLTD was put out-to-pasture, that a replacement wouldn't be sought soon after :-\

ymmv
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 09:04:24 PM »
michaelw.....we've come a long way together this yr my friend.....not sure if my '13 mini hog e is a limited, thought it has ES-T but I only plug it in for tuning.....yeah, the 520 has CV bracing and it makes a "big" difference...played it at my store against the 510 and 520ce and blew them both away...sounded "almost" like the 710 they had, only for a lot less, so I grabbed it.....actually preferred the '13 818 to the '14 818 (A-Bd them last week) sounded more like my 810 and my old 855...adi bracing and all, it doesn't hit on all cylinders though like the 810...thought maybe the 818 could be my unplugged guitar, but then I pick up the 810, strum a little and say to myself, nothing I own sounds this good overall unplugged.....the 514 tonally is just as beautiful, just a bit less bottom and can't be driven as hard as I usually play.....but I appreciate your words on the 514, and if (when) I keep it in the family, it will be because of you and SF and your thoughts on the matter.....maybe that is the "plan".....the 520 through the Bose L1 playing with MP3 tracks..... the 810 as my go to, unplugged, acoustic, do everything, if I only had one, main guitar.....and the 514 waiting in the wings for someday when I don't play with tracks anymore or at least don't "play as hard" anymore....yeah, I kinda like that...we'll call it the "delayed" two guitar plan! Somehow it just didn't seem right to add the 818 to the 810 at the expense of the 520 or the 514.....thanks again, michael, for taking the time to give me your thoughts!

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 02:31:02 PM »
Wow, see here I thought you were going from 1 to 2! I wish I had time to absorb all that, but hope to come back later with some thoughts. In the meantime, looks like you've got some stuff to weigh already!

mavr

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 03:23:10 PM »
I already am limited to two Taylors, 12-stringer 456CE-FLTD and travel GS Mini
Mahogany. Besides the two I have a D28 6-stringer and a spanish made (no name)
flamenco nylon-stringer guitar, which all together cover all my acoustic guitar needs  8)