Author Topic: Hatcher Greta - 13-fret Black Walnut / Old Growth Western Red Cedar  (Read 11130 times)

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
Re: Hatcher Greta - 13-fret Black Walnut / Old Growth Western Red Cedar
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2015, 08:28:10 AM »
Back at home after an enjoyable trip to Mark's shop in Peterborough, NH. And the guitar we have all been drooling over is finally in my hands. For me, there is no way to adequately describe it except to say it's the perfect fingerstyle guitar and it fits me like a glove.

I really enjoyed my time with Mark (as is usually the case). It is like aroma and visual therapy to spend time in his shop and I always learn so much. We had some good eats and smokes and visited some of Mark's favorite shops. We enjoyed a fresh cup from the veranda of his coffee roasting shop. What an incredible view!

This time of year is a great time to visit the northeast. The hills were ablaze. Just stunning vistas.

And to top it all off I got to watch the master at work. Here he is cutting the slots for the junction of the "X" brace.

I have to say, playing in front of a camera makes me very nervous. But Mark was gracious enough to set up his recording equipment and I knew you guys wouldn't be settled without hearing this sweet Greta with your own ears. Don't be fooled by my perceived calmness in those videos. It was nerve racking!

And as if picking up my gorgeous Greta wasn't enough I got to visit with a couple AGFers as well. I stopped by TomB'Sox place and picked a little. He is a good player. Great to meet him and his wonderful family. It was also great to be able to hear Greta from out front. Tom has a budding young singer in his 14 year-old daughter. Man can she sing! Wouldn't doubt she will become known to all of us in the future. She gives Taylor Swift a run for her money!

Then, AGF mikealpine was kind enough to drive an hour and meet up at my hotel. He brought his Stehr and we played the better part of an hour. I was amazed since he just had surgery on his elbow. He plays really well too! Then he treated me to a bite to eat along with some great conversation. A very pleasant evening.

It was a real treat to meet these two fine upstanding gentlemen.

All-in-all, a very fulfilling trip and I now get to settle in with this fine guitar and get to know her a little better.

Have to say thanks to all the UTGFers who followed along and all your gracious comments. It was a fun ride. I'm sure this guitar will remain with me until bequeathed to a lucky family member so I will return here from time to time and give you all an update on the effects of time and many hours of picking.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2015, 08:44:13 AM »
Congratulations!  Just a stunning guitar in every way!  Someday I'll have to speak to Mr. Hatcher about one of his guitars...  I wonder if he'll do a 12-string...?
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2015, 09:41:58 AM »
Hey Cigarfan! That guitar looks gorgeous and sounds so warm!  The pictures are great as well!

When's the next custom build?   ;D ;D ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 12:10:45 PM »
Congratulations!  Just a stunning guitar in every way!  Someday I'll have to speak to Mr. Hatcher about one of his guitars...  I wonder if he'll do a 12-string...?

Thanks :)  It's funny you mention a 12-string, I told Mark if I did another commission it would be a 12-string and he said, NO PROBLEM.

Hey Cigarfan! That guitar looks gorgeous and sounds so warm!  The pictures are great as well!

When's the next custom build?   ;D ;D ;D

I'm still recovering from this one. My fingers have not been this sore in a while. I figure the guitar fund will recover just about the same time as my callouses are thick enough not to hurt anymore.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 12:47:13 PM »

Thanks :)  It's funny you mention a 12-string, I told Mark if I did another commission it would be a 12-string and he said, NO PROBLEM.

Good to know!  Thanks!
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

George

• Veteran Member
  • I'll have a large one, thanks...
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2015, 02:17:20 AM »
I really enjoyed following this, and as for the end result - WOW!

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2015, 08:44:27 PM »
What George said! Congrats Dennis on the great sounding and looking guitar. Wow.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2015, 08:09:01 AM »
I'm glad you all took the time to follow along. It is intriguing to watch a guitar come together. And thanks for all the kind words. This forum is full of wonderful folks. My hat is off to jjrpilot, all the admins and members who keep it such a fine place to hang out.

I've hankered for a Cedar/Walnut guitar for quite some time. I looked for the right Taylor in that combination but never came across one. Maybe that was for the best. This Hatcher is an incredible instrument. I haven't held a lighter guitar ... ever ... yet the tone is monster. It is ethereal and has quite a bass component. Since I picked it up it has been getting deeper and more present all the time. Words can't do it justice. Call me a happy camper to say the least.

Anyone wants to visit me and play, just say the word.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2015, 06:42:14 PM »
Your guitar is downright drool-worthy! What a magnificent work of art in its looks! Congrats. :)
Cindy

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2015, 11:34:22 PM »
dennis,

that is one great looking and great sounding instrument.  your referenced video links provided the proof for that pudding.  congratulations.

don
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2015, 11:44:27 PM »
Beautiful!  I love many features you designed into your new Hatcher.  I am sure the Cedar/ Walnut sounds awesome, and that arm rest WOWSER. gorgeous  ;D

I think you should plan a 12 string brother to this one.  What a pair they would make. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.