Author Topic: Probably the most detailed miniature guitar ever made?  (Read 3864 times)

boomklever

• My Personal Home Page
Probably the most detailed miniature guitar ever made?
« on: October 27, 2015, 10:31:05 AM »
Some years ago my friend Jaap Kaiser in The Netherlands started an amazing project where he tried to make a scaled down model of a Martin D-35 as accurate as possible. Accurate here means that the parts like bracing, tuners or even bridge pins should at least be made of the same original materials but also resemble the original shape.

I was lucky enough to be close to the project and see some of the amazing steps my friend made. Jaap also made some great pictures of the scale model in progress, which decided me to write a little book about the project and also dedicate a website to the project (http://mmd35.frets.nl).

Jaap made two of these 'babies' and gifted one to me. I took it with me on many trips trying to show the amazing work of my friend Jaap as much as possible. Of course it is easy to say that this is the most accurate scale model of a guitar ever made, but you never know what other people in the world may have achieved as well.

Anyway, the following true story remains in my head forever: some years ago I visited the Frankfurt Musik Messe in Europe (one of the largest musical instruments events of the world) where also Chris Martin would be present. I checked in very early and I was one of the first visitors at the Martin booth. There he was, Chris Martin, drinking some coffee and reading a newspaper. I sat down next to him and told him about this 'special project of a miniature Martin D-35'. "Ah, OK", he said and continued reading his news paper.
Then I opened the little guitar case and took the miniature D-35 out of the case (the case is a wonder as well!). I showed it to him and it was something like 'Hey, what's that?' Then after having looked at it he jumped up (!) and started gathering as many people as possible and went almost crazy!

There is a lot more to tell, but it is best to have a look at the website from several years ago: http://mmd35.frets.nl. If you don't want to spend much time then go to the 'Gallery' where I collected the best pictures of the project. Also check out the section 'Martin Museum'. Highly recommended!

Meanwhile I have donated my miniature D-35 to the Martin museum, where Dick Boack gave it a very nice spot (close to the Willy Nelson guitar).

So if you ever decide to go to Nazareth for a Martin factory tour don't forget to visit the museum and have a look at the fabulous miniature D-35!
1999 910
2001 K12
2015 GS Mini e-RW

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Probably the most detailed miniature guitar ever made?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 10:37:25 AM »
That is so cool!  Amazing craftsmanship from your friend, and amazing generosity from you.  I would have thought that Chris Martin might have given you a real D-35 in exchange for this (almost) one-of-a-kind model.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

boomklever

• My Personal Home Page
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 10:45:07 AM »
I would have thought that Chris Martin might have given you a real D-35 in exchange for this (almost) one-of-a-kind model.

Well, that certainly happened! It was not my intention and I did not even think about what could happen after the gift. Nevertheless I found it very generous to offer me a new D-35. Btw it was Dick Boak who made the offer (but that is just a detail) and I made a deal with him to use the value of the D-35 to spend on a more expensive model.

I opted for an upgrade because I already had an original '77 D-35. Later I had some doubts because it would have been cool I guess to have both a 70's and a new D-35 in the stable. But it all went fast...
1999 910
2001 K12
2015 GS Mini e-RW

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »
Good to hear.  I know that is not what you were after, but it was a nice gesture from their end.  Out of curiosity, what more expensive model did you end up with?  I was playing my 1990 custom shop J-40 just the other night.  It is my last remaining Martin (had four at one time, before converting to Taylor).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:57:16 AM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

boomklever

• My Personal Home Page
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 11:10:06 AM »
Earl: it was the OM-28 Rosanne Cash. I wanted a Madi guitar, so Madagascar and Adirondack. Some nice inlay work and a good sounding instrument. Currently it needs a new setup. I brought it to a guitar builder and he managed to completely ruin the setup. I asked for low string height and he managed to have the bass strings too high and the treble strings far too low (buzzing at higher notes). Since it was a drop in long saddle there is nothing I could do about it to improve it. I did complain and ended up with not having to pay for the work. Now it is in the case for a suitable moment...
1999 910
2001 K12
2015 GS Mini e-RW

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 11:22:41 AM »
Nice guitar.  Too bad about the setup issues.  One thing I insist on with set-ups is that the original nut and saddle be untouched, so I can go right back if needed.  Unless it is a trusted tech known to be good at set-ups, make a brand new nut and saddle and set THOSE up.  Mostly I do my own set-ups these days, so it is a reasonable approach for me.

boomklever

• My Personal Home Page
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 11:32:01 AM »
One thing I insist on with set-ups is that the original nut and saddle be untouched, so I can go right back if needed.

You are right, but unfortunately I did not think about it back then. So the original saddle got ruined. I wish that guitar companies include a 2nd saddle for lower action as a standard. So one for low and one for intermediate action. Would be OK for most non professional players I guess.

Oops, getting way off topic  ;D
1999 910
2001 K12
2015 GS Mini e-RW

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 11:35:08 AM »
That's very impressive work by your friend!  If one didn't have something else in the photo to indicate scale, his work could be mistaken for a real, full-sized D-35!

Has your friend ever considered doing miniatures of other guitar models?
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 11:49:18 AM »
Impressive indeed.  Congrats on the new Martin too!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!