Author Topic: What New Song Are Your Currently Working On?  (Read 11157 times)

jpmist

• Soundcloud
Re: What New Song Are Your Currently Working On?
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2021, 10:23:33 AM »
Succession Season 1 has some really nice underscore music that I've been trying to work out on guitar. There are some YouTube videos of the composer that are quite useful. Two basic themes that have been a challenge to work out because 1) I have to figure out what key to play them in (Bm? Am? ) and exactly where on the neck it can be played (capo on 4?). What makes this really hard is that where the composer plays it is far too high on the neck for me to pull it off, so lots of Key change attempts using an audio editor so I can practice playing along with it. Whew, anybody else trying this? I could use the help . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0WzqanwlG0
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2021, 10:29:23 AM »
I spent the last quarter arranging, polishing, and working up a bunch of Christmas carols, songs, and hymns.  It's funny because these tend to be "comfort music," pieces that I remember from my childhood and have loved to revisit.  Though I play sessions, I have no live gig right now, so this music is just for me. 

Bob

Welcome to this forum, Bob.

Don
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Bob Womack

• Now we've got 'em where they want us!
    • The Musician's Room
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2021, 01:05:00 PM »
Thank you kindly!

Bob
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE  MUSICIAN'S ROOM

UncleJeff

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2022, 02:03:58 PM »
I’m working on Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out. I’m Using Paul Davids Youtube tutorial.
My daily player is a 110e. It gets played daily for at least two hours. It’s 2 years old now and it sounds great!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2022, 05:58:00 PM »
Panis Angelicus... heard a lot around Christmas time....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2022, 07:19:54 PM »
I’m working on Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out. I’m Using Paul Davids Youtube tutorial.
My daily player is a 110e. It gets played daily for at least two hours. It’s 2 years old now and it sounds great!

Hey UncleJeff,

Welcome to the forum. A certain not-so-little-person-anymore has been known to call me
'Grampa Don'. She's the only one who can get away with that.

Back to music. What key are you using for 'Down and Out'?

I'm using 'C'. Probably have to check out Paul Davids' vids at some point.

I've been kicking that dog around for a couple of years, but it's not where I want it to be. Yet.
Apologies since I don't mean to butt in, but you might find this interesting, and maybe even of some use to you. From my ramblings on this thread over this song for the last year or so, here's a collection of my notes and snippets for this one.

Please note that I wax and wane on a lot of things, often wherever my nose leads. And then I come back for another look when the spirit moves me. I also fingerpick everything using my nails as picks and usually work up my own arrangements.

Not sure yet about "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out". Seems most modern versions only do a couple of the 4 ? verses, and I've been changing keys a bit to find one I like. So now on YouTube I'm listening to Bessie Smith sing it, and it sounds real good. Just found a version by a lady named Dixie Michell(e) who does it with her own solo guitar backing, in key of 'C'. Kind of nice uncomplicated accompaniment, so I'll try that next. Sounds very nice on her 6 string, but I'll probably muck around a bit on a 12 string with it. Then start over with the lyrics. This one may be a while unless I do a deep dive.

Most times the journey is more than half the fun, even if it's just around the block.

January 26, 2021, 11:39:30 PM »

One more note on this. Because it's been the dry indoor season (winter radiators) in New England for a week (15% indoor RH as I write this), I have done all my prep work for this on my laminate B&S  EJ-200, and I have a new appreciation of this guitar after playing only this one for 5 days straight. (Maybe a record with me for playing only one guitar since I only had one guitar.) Considering the upcoming weekend forecast (single digits with huge negative wind chill factors), I'll be using it for a while longer.

Have some experience dealing with humidity effects, and my bigger solids seem to sound a bit off right now, but the laminate sounds fine. Go figure.

Or maybe it's just my ears, poppin' to the pressure drop. Snows a'falling

Don

> Not sure yet about "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out".

Well I'm sure. Took a deep dive. Marianas Trench deep dive.

After listening to a half dozen versions of this song, I love it. Except none of the versions are the same. I love it. Everybody uses different lyrics, number of verses, and other variations within the song. I love it. As far as I can tell, song was written sometime in the 1920s, possibly by someone named Jimmy Cox, and became famous in the 30s when Bessie Smith sang it. The song seems to have followed a route akin to a folk song where everyone ends up with a different lyric version except for the title, the first line, and the multiple refrain(s) of the title. I love it. All this research shows it's kind of fair game for anyone, and probably public domain at that.

I'm looking to start with 2 verses, much like people from Scrapper Blackwell to Eric Clapton have done. Add a ragtime intro and song feel and maybe a rock and roll break, repeat second verse, and add a ragtime outro. I have chosen Key of 'C', mostly because I like how the chords fit in naturally with the song. Speaking of chords, everyone seems to have their own, of course, but I have made some notes on different versions and think I have my first foray in place.

On the third line, I did end up using an F major chord followed by a diminished F#, followed by a quick semi-tone walk-up to the semi arpeggio of C, ending with an A7. And on the back end of the 4th line, Dixie used a well placed D7, done with a C7 shape leading on the 5th fret. I liked this because if I play the open high 'e' string with it, it becomes something like a D9 and sounds great. Especially followed by a cowboy 'G' with some notes added/subtracted and walking around to make it a G6 (open treble e) and then the D on the B string and back up again to G while harmonizing with the notes of the G chord

"Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out"
Got a more than working version going, but ran out of gas deciding which lyrics to use. Ended up using a lot of arpeggios as I thought, and swapped out that D7th in the E shape for a cowboy D7th to make the fingering easier, and also to use my little finger to hint a 'D' note/shape during the measure. That 'D' note also serves as a passing note to the next 'E' note on the treble string which is also becomes the passing 6th for the G6th Chord which ends the measure and verse. Using arpeggios, the F major followed by the F# dim still sounds delicious.

I think I'm talking myself back into getting back into this song again.

Enough for now, Hopefully not too wordy, but I get a kick out of learning and researching new things. Which is why I will eventually get back "with Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out". With which I have already had a great deal of fun. Gonna try it on 12 string tomorrow with my 458, which is tuned standard, down to D#. Just got that idea while writing this. Might spark up "Ain't Misbehaving" too.

Edit> So I took my own advice, tried 'Down and out' on both 12 and 6 strings. Especially after playing it twice on the 12 string, this song is a lot more fun again now on both 12 and 6 strings. Renewed my interest in an interesting song. Hit me with your best shot. Bam!

Heck at this pace I might be happy with a version in a year of so.

Be well,

Don
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 07:34:54 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2022, 05:49:36 PM »
Q1 '22, part two (counting the previous bit about "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out" as part one), a little late.

Nasty fall on the ice mostly effected my fretting hand, missed some time, but now back to 95+%, so that's life.

Some of this is repititious due to lost time and little progress, but there it is. Bringing myself up to speed too.

Beatles "It's Only Love" coming along nicely. Beatles intro is also their outro, so now using arppegiated chords for background for lyrics, and one verse and chorus of my instumental arrangement for the the outro. Coming together nicely, but still needs some more work.

Doesn't help that I keep changing the arrangement here and there.

"Massachusetts" is working out very well. Nearly have  a"finished" arrangement. Quotes are for needling myself. Nothing is ever finished, just "improved".

On "Big Rock Candy Mountain", I don't think the kids' version referred to "a burly bum come a-hiking" or to a "cigarette tree". Going to go look for a similar version to the one I know and maybe add a few verses to complete the song. I only remember the first verse and chorus of that version of "Big Rock Candy Mountain"

There's a few versions of "Rye Whiskey" out there sometimes combining with a song called "Jack o' Diamonds", so I'll be working on an arrangement I like.

I got the words and figured out chords to "Caribbean" by Mitchell Torok. Hard part will be memorizing the lyrics, putting it together, and seeing if I like it. It is an amusing song though.

Really liking "Red River Valley" and just deciding on whether or not including the last verse, and how to include it if I do. Somehow I don't remember the song the same way as the verses go.

"A Little Bitty Tear" is almost mine, about 80% on the lyrics. Going to be a 'no frills' song. It was one of my grandfather's favorite songs. While he did try to hide it, he had a wonderful singing voice.

To "San Francisco Bay Blues" by one man band Jessie Fuller, I found a version by Tom Rush, which performance I like, and will have some further study on it

About the intro and chords for "Here Comes The Night" by Them. I like that great intro (E => A ) notes, but not the song so much. Current thinking is to use that intro and some quick guitar fiddling to elide into "Moondance", taking that A into a minor key.

Love "Big Iron" by Marty Robbins; works great for me. Still, the lyrics to a long story are a bit much, but making progress.

Now with guitar notes intro, then into vocal chorus, "Ghost Riders in the Sky" works for me. 

Stones "Country Honk", aka "Honky Tonk Women", Johnny Horton's "Honky Tonk Man", and Lead Belly's "MIdnight Special" all got a revival. Combined verses and styles from Country Honk with Honky Tonk Women along with country style fills and rock and roll bridge and solo, and loving it.

One last (?!) revisit with "Walk Don't Run". Changed the timing to a more laid back shuffle style and now using that. Some notes get stretched out a bit, but it works for me. Almost makes it a new song.
Did I mention that nothing is ever finished?

Be well all,

Don
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 06:48:40 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2022, 03:01:47 PM »
"The Last Thing On My Mind" by Tom Paxton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08lVuhv_Va8

I heard this song on the radio the other day. Can't get it out of my head, so I wrote down the lyrics and am in the process of working out the chords to play it. I'm using key of G. Doesn't sound overly complicated. I actually used this song in the Music Association Game right after I heard it.

Saw Tom many years ago at the Club 47 in Cambridge Massachusetts.

Don
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2022, 06:30:59 PM »
Since Today's Ash Wednesday, I'll be switching my playlist to Lenten and Easter - themed songs, mostly originals....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2022, 08:35:54 PM »
I know "The Vatican Rag" by Tom Lehrer, but I guess that wouldn't qualify.

::)

Don
* The Heard: