Author Topic: NAMM 2012 -- What it's All about  (Read 2318 times)

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
NAMM 2012 -- What it's All about
« on: January 20, 2012, 01:55:28 AM »
Night One -- it's close to 10 pm local time.  I'm finally tucked neatly away in my hotel room after a day of wandering the show floor and a night of cavorting between the two main convention hotels.  The night's entertainment is not nearly finished.  It's just me who has thrown in the towel for the day.  I'm tired from a week of traveling and training.

If you've never been to a national trade show, coming to NAMM can be an overwhelming experience.  Walking onto the Anaheim Convention Center floor itself is an example of sensory overload to the n'th degree.  Passing through the doors, you are immediately assaulted by a caucaphony of sound unlike anything you have heard before in your life.  Low frequency rattles your bones from all directions as the midrange of vocal mics pierces you, calling you everywhere you turn.

As you gain your auditory bearings, your eyes focus in on the mass of rock-n-roll humanity that is coursing it's way though the aisles of the convention center.  Keep in mind that this is not just any segment of the social substrate -- This is rock and f'ing roll!  Looking down the aisles, it is far too easy to conclude that many of the people you see are old enough to have actually invented the genre.  Unfortunately, the majority of these individuals perpetuate the stylings of the era from which they have evolved - aka the 80's. 

It's very easy to turn this observation into a game.  Try this -- Guess the age of the guy with the bandana.  Oldest guy wins.  Leather pants score bonus points...

On to more important topics...

Because it was still a work day for me, I actually spent far too little time examining wares and far too much time putting out fires in my own job.  That being said, I can tell you that the Taylor exhibit acts as an acoustic oasis in the desert of musical mayhem - the instrumental offering, a date palm ready and willing to feed your instrumental hunger. 

Of the few instruments I had the opportunity to sample, the 12 fret GC Nylon, *felt* like an old friend welcoming you home.  Now, to be honest, I couldn't hear it when I picked it up to play due to the din of the show floor. However, I Will tell you that the Tobaccoburst finish is absolutely drop dead gorgeous, and the short scale neck felt so incredibly natural and easy playing that I think a Les Paul player would have wet dreams over this thing given the opportunity to play it.  Yes, it is that good.  If that wasn't enough, the fretboard inlay is just so doggone cool it will harken you back to the early days of guitar craftsmanship.  Musicality aside, this guitar felt in my hands like an old friend welcoming me back after a long journey.  I can't wait to hear the stories it has to tell.

My goal tomorrow is to get to the booth early enough to  spend a little quality time with the new models and revamped designs.  I also hope to get some detailed photos.  I will tell you this -- if you are a true Taylor fan and quasi-historian, it would behoove you to highlight 2012 as an integral year in Taylor Guitars' history.  I say this because, thanks to the creative juices of Bob Taylor, Andy Powers and the rest of the team, we are seeing some absolutely drop dead gorgeous looking guitars that exhibit both a keen eye for the future while exhibiting a healthy respect for our musical heritage.  My expectation is that they will sound as inspiring as they look.

Coming Friday: Audio Impressions...

EDIT: clarification and syntax corrections...  EDIT II - resolving poor proof reading.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:47:51 AM by Gutch »
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Re: NAMM 2012 -- What it's All about
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 08:06:42 AM »
Gutch,
Thanks for your post.  I really enjoyed reading your description of NAMM so far.  Can't wait for the updates.
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 10:53:14 AM »
Gutch, great review!  Keep it coming!  Tell Brian and all the rest that the collective "we" said "Hi!"   ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:19:30 PM »
Day two in the can.  Got into the Taylor booth first thing as promised, and got a chance to hear the 12 fret GC Nylon.  One word -- Suh-weeeet!  Rich, warm, delicious tone.  Really a treat!  The new 700 series fretboard inlays are killer too.  From the grain I can see, I'd guess they are an ivoroid of some sort.  The pattern is very turn of the century (1900's) looking and, with the burst, these 700's are absolute knockouts.

The ukulele is very nice as well.  All 30 were hand built by Andy Powers and the quality shows visually and tonally.  Unfortunately, I was told not to expect mass production of these in the near term. 

The mahogany GS mini is a great addition as well. I'll let Flaggerphil fill us in on his opinion since it looks like he'll the first on the block to have one...

I took a few pics but am having issues getting them off my phone.  Worst case scenario I will have them posted here no later than Monday.  I think Brian's shots are giving everyone a pretty good flavor of what's happening at Taylor.

Other highlights - Digitech has announced a very cool virtual pedal board/multi-effects unit that you can program with your iPhone or iPad.  I played around with it for a few minutes.  It sounds great.

Former Taylor endorsee Kenny Loggins played a set at the Bedell/Two Old Hippies booth.  After standing in line for an hour, I got his autograph and stood just a couple feet away from him while he played.  As a longtime Loggins fan, that was very cool. Perennial Breedlove player Ed Gerhardt was going to be playing afterward, but I skeedaddled before he arrived. 

Ran into and chatted with Eric Skye at the Santa Cruz Guitar booth.  Great guy and a great player.  He was playing a Sycamore and Italian Spruce baritone that looked as unique as it sounded.  Speaking of friends from the old hangout, I ran into Koaguitarman yesterday and chatted briefly with him, and I believe I spied Herb Hunter in the Taylor room this morning...

Walking through the percussion area, I ran into jazz drummer extraordinaire Peter Erskine and former Poison member Ricky Rocket.  (Talk about going from sublime to ridiculous...).

Considering that my family in Chicago is digging out from the first big snowstorm of the year while I'm walking around SoCal in shirt sleeves, I thought it best to prepare a peace offering for my return.  So, I took the remainder of the afternoon off from the show and walked over to Disneyland to pick up T-shirts and other goodies for them (they are all major Disney fanatics, so this should turn out okay).  I'll be back on the show floor tomorrow to scrounge around a bit more.  However, my dogs are barking loud tonight so I'm going to kick my feet up and relax, read through some trade show fodder, and otherwise take it easy.

Stay tuned...

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:23:21 AM by michaelw »
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 02:03:12 PM »
Quick note -- for those who have already received their Wood & Steel in the mail, you probably read my description of the 700 series above and said, "wow, this guy is a real maroon!  It says right here that the top is Engelmann and the inlays are ivoroid, and the styling is circa 1930's..."

Well, I hadn't read that until I grabbed a copy of W&S at the booth and finally pulled it out of the bag to read last night.  I feel a bit embarrassed by the wrong call on the top wood, but stand by my comment that the guitar looks and sounds great...

Okay, enough of that.  I'm on my way back to the convention center to see what else I can find to mangle the description and otherwise make a fool of myself later tonight. 

Cheers!!!   8)
-- Plato