Author Topic: Taylor madness  (Read 781 times)

johnphoto

Taylor madness
« on: October 12, 2016, 09:09:55 PM »
Bit of a circuitous story. I'm a (perpetual beginner) sitar player, and haven't played guitar for many decades since playing all 3 chords in the garage band at the hippy farm. One recent day, there was a forlorn classical nylon-string guitar lying on top of a pile of trash bags with its headstock attached to its neck by only the strings. It had a "Karl Hauser" decal on the top, "Ideal Musical Merchandising Corp" label inside, and "made in W Germany" sticker on the back of the headstock. I thought it was a junky cheap mail-order type thing, but I brought it home anyway, glued the headstock back on, bought new strings. Gradually realized it is actually quite nice. Beautiful wood, spruce top, book-matched back, good tuners, and a truss rod(!). Probably at least 60 years old judging by the tuners which have non-modern spacing and smaller diameter all-metal string take-up axles. It sounds good. So as to have an instrument that I can play like a sarod, I have defretted it. That's a long story in itself better suited for the unfretted forum. But it has worked out well, and in looking for a nice but less than pristine steel-string acoustic to make unfretted, craigslist led me to an older San Diego Taylor 110 at a very good price. Yes it's dinged up, has the previous owner's initials scratched on the back and there's a hairline crack (photo) above the pick guard. (It's hydrating as I write.) It's beautiful anyway, but you already know that. A slight truss rod adjustment brought action and intonation back to as near perfection as I am able to recognize. The excellence of everything about the 110 has led to a bit of an obsession with all things Taylor, and the wealth of info online and on youtube. I bought it thinking its ebony fretboard would be ideal for fretless, but curiously this particular 110's fretboard is rosewood. While digesting all this I seized a beautiful 20-year-old 414 off craigslist at a fair price. I can't bear to tamper with either of the Taylors so I am still on lookout for a suitable victim for my steel-string unfretted. So it goes.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Taylor madness
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 06:15:13 AM »
Welcome JP, glad you joined us here.....we all have a bit of Taylor madness.  ;)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 07:18:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum john photo.  My first Taylor was a 110, it was what led me down my current path.  Good story, thanks.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 01:52:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum, John-

Very intriguing story - thanks for being a part of the crowd here!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood