Author Topic: U2 gives away a Grand Orchestra to fan  (Read 1684 times)

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
U2 gives away a Grand Orchestra to fan
« on: July 15, 2015, 11:06:50 AM »
From the Boston Globe newpaper, July 15, 2015, page B12

Easton boy shares the stage with Bono, U2

Sometimes, the best-laid plans go awry, and sometimes they don’t. For Brian Hartman, they didn’t. Over the weekend, the 13-year-old from Easton went to see U2 with his brother and parents. His father, Mike, is an enormous fan of the Irish band: Saturday’s concert at the TD Garden was his 44th time seeing Bono and The Edge (and Larry Mullen Jr. and Adam Clayton.) The family had seats at the front of the stage and Brian brought a sign that read “I Play Guitar.” (It’s the band’s habit to bring someone onstage to play a song.) “My dad and I rehearsed two possibilities, ‘Desire’ and ‘Angel of Harlem,’ ” said Brian. So he was ready to rock ’n’ roll when, during the second set, Bono invited him up and handed him a guitar. “He said, ‘Can you play “Angel of Harlem”?’ and I said yes,” Brian told us. “I didn’t have any stage fright because I was so focused on the band. It was so crazy being up there playing with my favorite band.” At the end of the song, as the crowd cheered, Bono reached for the guitar. “I might have to take that back, young man,” he said before pausing. “Actually, I’m not taking it back. That’s for you.” Brian was bowled over. “It’s an amazing sounding guitar,” he said of the Taylor Grand Orchestra. “I think we’re going to buy a case and keep it in pristine condition for many years to come.” As many times as he’s seen U2, Mike Hartman said he’ll never forget Saturday’s show. “I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little jealous of Brian,” he said, laughing.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/names/2015/07/14/easton-boy-shares-stage-with-bono-and/7ttN1SEHzIn78eX5YMdcoJ/story.html#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMXBHUiH2s0&feature=youtu.be

. . audentes fortuna iuvat
. . . carpe diem
. . . . (fortune favors the bold, seize the day)

still latin week on the utgf.  i was the victim of a classical education.
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: U2 gives away a Grand Orchestra to fan
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 11:10:42 AM »
Very cool!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 03:50:55 PM »
Nice story! Thanks for sharing. :) Now if we could just get the boy to join here.... ;)
Cindy

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 10:07:43 AM »
This is one of those stories that can really put a smile on your face.  Generally I think the members of U2 are pretty stand up guys. ;D
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.