Author Topic: Your "Go-To" Song  (Read 3587 times)

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Your "Go-To" Song
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:26:40 AM »
Been pondering this thought exercise for a while now, and thought I'd pose it to the masses.  I would think the question would largely apply to us amateurs, but those who have played professionally are certainly welcome to chime in.

If you were pressed into performing just one song, say at a gathering of friends and family or 'open-mike' night, what would you pull out of your bag?  What song (pardon the pun) has struck a chord with you...?  That you've you just got down right, and would best display your skills...?  It may not even necessarily be a song by your favorite artist, or your favorite song by that artist.  But when you play it, you just get it right almost all of the time...

For me, it probably shouldn't come as a surprise that that song turns out to be an ELO song:  "Sweet Talkin' Woman".  It's a good strumming tune, which plays to my strength (as opposed to finger-style songs); it sounds good on either a 6- or 12-string guitar; I seem to be able to keep the proper rhythm (always a challenge for me); I enjoy playing the song, and can play it from start to finish, including the intro and 'fill-in' bits; and have even worked out the ending that ELO used when they performed the song live.

So how about the rest of you...?
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
Re: Your "Go-To" Song
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 10:29:59 AM »
Behind Blue Eyes by the Who or Urge For Going by Joni Mitchell

I have the lyrics well memorized on both these tunes -- a challenge for me -- and they are decent fingerstyle tunes.  Also on autopilot for me would be Crystal Ship by the Doors, If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lightfoot,  or the Simon and Garfunkel Tunes April Come She Will , I Am A Rock, Homeward Bound and Sounds of Silence, amongst others.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:55:47 AM by Jersey tuning »
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »
Dreamboat Annie by Heart or Into White fingerstyle by Cat Stevens. Both songs have beautiful melodies so no pressure to sing:)

I'm going to look up Sweet Talking Woman. I've always loved that song and ELO. Fire on High has some really awesome guitar:)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »
Skating Away, Wond'ring Around, Norwegian Wood, Temperance Reel.  Plus a slew of Irish/Scottish tunes.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:31:07 PM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 02:15:50 PM »
I have several, but I truly love a song that I first learned and played on the mountain dulcimer. Fingerstyle on the guitar, this song is beautiful!

"Hector the Hero"

It is a classic lament penned by Scottish composer and fiddler James Scott Skinner in 1903. It was written as a tribute to Major-General Hector MacDonald, a distinguished Scottish general around the turn of the century. MacDonald was a friend of Skinner's. As it is a lament, it is played slowly and sadly.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »
Behind Blue Eyes by the Who or Urge For Going by Joni Mitchell

I have the lyrics well memorized on both these tunes -- a challenge for me -- and they are decent fingerstyle tunes.  Also on autopilot for me would be Crystal Ship by the Doors, If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lightfoot,  or the Simon and Garfunkel Tunes April Come She Will , I Am A Rock, Homeward Bound and Sounds of Silence, amongst others.

All great songs!  I'd like to put a few Simon & Garfunkel tunes in my bag.

Yeah, if I rated an ELO encore, I can knock out "Do Ya" pretty well; but I'd have to switch to my T5 for that...

Dreamboat Annie by Heart or Into White fingerstyle by Cat Stevens. Both songs have beautiful melodies so no pressure to sing... :)

More good songs!

I hear ya...!  A born vocalist I am not, so I tend to continue playing songs that just sound good instrumentally... 

... I'm going to look up Sweet Talking Woman. I've always loved that song...

I have a published song book of ELO's Greatest Hits, so that's what I used to learned the bulk of the song.  But even having that, I did have to work out a few bits myself.  Fortunately, it's a pretty straight-forward song.  I've used the Ultimate Guitar web site as a reasonably good reference for the chords of other songs; this guy has posted a pretty accurate rendition of "Sweet Talkin' Woman", although the indication of his chord changes are a bit off, and he's got some extraneous G-chords in places.  Also, the correct intro for the song is:  F7-G-Am-F-G-C; repeat this sequence as the 'filler' between the first chorus and second verse too; the 'filler' between the second chorus and the third verse is basically the same, except you go straight from the Am to C.  Following the third chorus (prior to the repetition of the chorus at the end of the song), there's a filler bit which is (you got it) the same sequence, but going straight from the Am to G.  The rest of it is accurate (but some of his lyrics are incorrect).  The live 'outro' is nothing but a variation on the same intro chords; it's more a change in cadence than anything.  Once you give it a try, you'll see what I'm talking about.

... Fire on High has some really awesome guitar:)

I've got some chords on that one; I can't even tell you if they're the right chords because I can't seem to even get get the proper cadence on "Fire On High"...  But I'd love to learn it too...!

...  Plus a slew of Irish/Scotish tunes.[/font]

I should probably try to learn some Irish folk tunes, given my ethic heritage.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:31:22 PM by timfitz63 »
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 03:28:15 PM »

[/quote]

A born vocalist I am not, so I tend to continue playing songs that just sound good instrumentally... 

[/quote]

A virtuoso fingerstylist I am not, so the combination of moderately decent voice and moderately decent guitarist yields a fairly satisfactory result.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 05:08:26 PM »
... A born vocalist I am not, so I tend to continue playing songs that just sound good instrumentally... 

A virtuoso fingerstylist I am not, so the combination of moderately decent voice and moderately decent guitarist yields a fairly satisfactory result.

As with most things in life, I usually get into the most trouble when I open my mouth...  ;)

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 01:44:40 AM »
 I keep tweaking on original stuff. I try not to butcher other people's music. ;) If I'm feeling it, Free Bird gets it done.   
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

imorroy

• I assess...
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 08:07:38 AM »
Wildwood Flower (the only instrumental I don't butcher!)) and Bury me beneath the weeping willow.
612ce 12-fret
GS Mini
Pavan classical
G-String solid koa concert uke
Ohana solid wood concert uke
Kala tenor uke
Kamaka tenor uke

MikeB

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 10:48:57 AM »
Van Morrison's Into The Mystic.  never met a person who doesn't like it!

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »
"Take It Easy" by the Eagles. It's the only darn thing I can play all through. However "Wonderwall", "Wanted Dead Or Alive", "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away", "More Than Words" are all coming along slowly.
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
"I Will" by the Beatles. My own fingerstyle arrangement and vocals. Wows them every time.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 05:57:05 PM »
I have a few depending on the audience.  "Year of the Cat" (Al Stewart) is one of those 'forgotten' songs that is fun and interesting.  "Why Georgia" (John Mayer) is fun because of the rhythmic changes.  "Whatever I Fear" and "Crowing" (Toad The Wet Sprocket) both work really well on solo acoustic and aren't as difficult as they initially sound.
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 08:32:20 PM »
Whiskey Before Breakfast and Home Sweet Home are two I could play in my sleep.