Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 9686 times)

Schooner

What Are You Reading?
« on: December 27, 2011, 04:38:08 AM »
It would be interesting to know what folks in this group of similar interests are reading.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:34:30 AM by Schooner »

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 10:06:54 AM »
I enjoy biographies and have been wanting to read Bob Taylor and Brad Paisley's books.  I usually read some type of fiction or romance (not the Fabio kind - not that there's anything wrong with that) but the light mystery/fun romance types.  Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Phyllis Whitney are two that come to mind.

I also enjoy books written by Rick Reilly and John Feinstein.  I used to work at a national newspaper and they would put the books out in the hallway for us that had been sent in for review.  Sometimes they were not final and it was interesting to read the copy I had and then go to the bookstore after it had been published and see the end was different or something like that.

I have an eReader and use that to download books from the library so I'm kind of limited to what's available with that.  I gave my mom two books for Christmas, one was a behind the scenes of the making of Casablanca (her favorite movie) and the other was a bio of Clint Eastwood. (looking forward to reading both.... ;D )

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »
I'm reading "The Hobbit" for the 2nd time...it's just wonderful.

Bob Taylor's book is great as well!
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

pacmktg

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 03:14:13 PM »
I am currently reading the "The Anarchists Tool Chest" by Charles Schwarz.  I was given this book for Christmas and have already read most of it.  I am a woodworker by vocation and it talks about tools.  You would think it would be dull but it is not.
Eat dessert first.
214CE
Charvel LP
Hand built Tele by me

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »
I'm reading Bob Taylors book also.
2009 Taylor 35th anniversary Cocobolo GS
2009 Taylor All Mahogany 8 string (modified from a 12 string).
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd
2000 Gibson L5 CES Custom

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »
Just finished Terry Pratchet's 'Snuff' one of his Discworld novels, and found it very enjoyable.

Now trying to get into 'Unseen Academicals' from the same author/series.

I like my reading to be harmless, escapist stuff.
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

Iplay2

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 10:23:17 AM »
I am currently reading Inheritance by Christopher Paolini, which is my fun reading, and The Frontiersmen by Allan Eckert, which is more serious grown up reading.  As long as I am at least attempting to read a serious book, I let myself read as much fun stuff as I want.  ;D

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:08:52 AM »
Recently saw "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo", and it was such a disturbing yet compelling film, I had to get the book trilogy.  Now on the iPad Kindle app and reading whenever I get a chance...
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

SoloTaylor

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 12:20:21 PM »
Recently saw "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo", and it was such a disturbing yet compelling film, I had to get the book trilogy.  Now on the iPad Kindle app and reading whenever I get a chance...

+1. Great movie. Im going to dive into the books as well!  :)
Cheers,

Solo

pacmktg

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »
I have read all 3 books and have seen the Sweedish films.  They were very good.  I have no desire to see the US version.
Eat dessert first.
214CE
Charvel LP
Hand built Tele by me

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 01:04:27 AM »
I am sooo not a reader. I read the bible, and I read My Utmost by Oswald Chambers... shoot for daily with those but ends up not so much later in the year.  :o

HOWEVER, I did buy Steve Jobs bio on iTunes (pre-Christmas) and I'm into the 2nd chapter and am really intrigued by this book. We'll see if I actually finish it (of the 10 or so books I've started in the last decade, I've only finished ONE, which was The Shack by William P Young). I admire Steve Jobs for his creations and his passion, even though I vastly differ with him on personal life philosophy. I thought it was SO COOL that the first book I bought on my iPad was the Steve Jobs bio. That's cool, right?  8)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:01:09 AM by dsamuel24 »
Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 01:53:27 AM »

My wife and I were contemplating going to see this this week. Sounds like you thought it was worthwhile. Good to know - Thanks!
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 09:20:16 AM »
I read mostly biographies, military history, and theology.  Right now, I'd reading "D-Day" by Stephen Ambrose and "Diary of a Player" by Brad Paisley. 
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 07:31:58 PM »
Just started Skin Tight, an older book by Carl Hiassen, who is a national treasure. His latest, Star Island, is set against the background of the music business, but that is just an excuse for his typical twisted hilarity.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:39:17 PM by Tammany Tiger »

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 08:30:32 PM »
I'm rereading This Side of Paradise, by F. Scott Fitzgerald. He was one of my favorite authors back in college, and it is interesting to read this again.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.