Author Topic: Anyone Know Why Taylor's Cost So Much?  (Read 20505 times)

Afixer

Re: Anyone Know Why Taylor's Cost So Much?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »
.... 'I suspect that your problem right now is just a case of normal "buyer's remorse."
Give it a month and see what you think. If you are picking up the Taylor more often than the Yammi, your question is answered.'

Good point. I think I'll feel differently a month from now. I took the Taylor with me today to my weekly session with a serious guitarist. I asked him to play it for awhile and tell me what he thought. This guy (unlike me) can really play. I watched him intently. After a short period he was smiling as he started to pick with only fingers. It was beautiful to listen to. He then asked me if it was ok to drop the tuning .. he wanted to check something. I said of course. He showed me how alot of guitars wouldn't mirror the two "G" strings he tuned to sound alike. It was the sign of a good guitar. The Taylor passed with flying colors. He retuned it and explained how my Yamaha had a booming sounding low "E" and how the Taylor's Low "E" played more in harmony without over coloring the chord. He really liked the Taylor. A light went off. This is a highly well thought out musical instrument and alot of what's going on was simply over my untrained ears. I'm sure I'll appreciate the Taylor more as my skill level rises. I sure know it feels alot nicer to play than the Yammy. I guess I just need more practice time with it. Thanks for all the informative replys. Peace! Oh yeah ... it is a 414ce. My bad.

Joseph

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 04:58:28 PM »
Taylors have gone up in price over the years... like everything else. Overpriced? Maybe... But there are several factors that go into that price.  I think the key factor is Made in USA. Have you seen the prices for Guild's lately? ..geesh..  Martins are up there also... I could have bought a wonderful small shop, hand made guitar, in the early 2000's for $1500 at a show. That particular guitar can't be touched for less than $5000 now!   Guitar building is one of the few industries that are left in this country that provides a decent middle class living standard for those people who work for the big makers. Most everything else is done overseas... not because of better quality... but because of price first. I like the fact that Taylor managed to
make great guitars by using new ideas and programmed machine tools for consistency ...and still do it in the USA.  Their customer service is great. You can send any of their guitars to the factory for 1 of 3 (at least) service needs for it... and with the prices posted up front.  I like dealing with the manufacturer of the gutar... especially after buying a used Taylor guitar and wanting info on it. I called them and they were extremely helpful right away. Even though there was only a $500 price difference between my new Epi Masterbilt (made in China) and the used Taylor GS.. the sound and playability are miles apart.
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »
I could have bought a wonderful small shop, hand made guitar, in the early 2000's for $1500 at a show. That particular guitar can't be touched for less than $5000 now!

I think that's due to the fact that "small shop" guitars are in vogue. People, for whatever reason, have decided that they're worth $5,000.00 and not that $1,500.00 anymore. The truth of the matter is that it's still really a $1,500.00 guitar.

Clover

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 09:00:35 PM »
I think they are more expensive because they are just better. Taylor strum and pick...can't beat it.

Brian

• just a box of rain...
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 01:24:05 AM »
why are Taylor's so darn expensive?

It's a great question.  I think it boils down to build quality, materials used, playability, tone and the market.  Taylor is in line with the rest of the industry and they are incredibly well built guitars.  You'll pay roughly the same amount for comparable offerings from other large high quality mass produced guitar companies.  For example you can expect to shell out roughly the same amount for a new Gibson J-45 standard, a new Martin D-18 and a new Taylor 5 series (all of which I think are fantastic, although for the J-45 I prefer the more expensive True Vintage series with the red spruce top). 

When I play any of those guitars vs less expensive guitars I can usually tell the difference (of course there are exceptions). 

Having said that, I think Yamaha offers incredible value for the money and I continue to hear very good things about them and have liked the ones I have played in guitar stores.

You have a great guitar in your Taylor!

-Brian

Ironhead1977

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 09:13:20 AM »
As good as your 414ce is wait until you try a 914ce and just when you think it can not get any better try a K26ce.  Medium strings on my K26 play easier than lights on any of my other guitars.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »
A better question is why is the Yamaha FG441S so inexpensive? It is my understanding that Yamaha has shifted production from one country to another chasing lower labor costs. How much are the craftsmen that made the FG441S paid as compared to the Taylor personnel in California?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 05:59:32 PM »
Big +1 on most of the posts here.  And in addition to all the above, Research and Development is costly and never immediately quantifiable: thus, its cost is typically spread out over time.  One should never underestimate the cost (yes, in dollars) of human ingenuity and innovation; to do so is to ignore what the product brings to the marketplace on the whole.

I know this sounds like the perspective of a Taylor apologiest, but I like to think I'm pretty objective on these things.  But all things weighed, Taylors are worth every penny they command, so long as one enjoys the tone and play.  If not, then simply move on until one does find it.

Edward

IanHenry

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 05:31:08 AM »
Hi,
   I'm new here, and I don't own a Taylor (yet), but If I didn't think they were worth the money, I certainly wouldn't be looking to buy one! Yes Taylor guitars are expensive, particularly here in the U.K, where a 214ce has a list price of £XXX (roughly $XXXX) and a 314ce £XXXX ($XXX), and for the price of a laminated 214 you can have your choice of all solid guitars, even the cheaper Mexican made Martin DRS1, but at the end of the day "you pays your money, you make your choices".
You may find it interesting to watch this YouTube film before you decide, I found it interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3rvjG3tW1M&feature=player_embedded

Regards,
       Ian.

edited for price
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:44:08 PM by UTGF-Team »

andyi5

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 07:38:28 AM »
Hi,
   I'm new here, and I don't own a Taylor (yet), but If I didn't think they were worth the money, I certainly wouldn't be looking to buy one! Yes Taylor guitars are expensive, particularly here in the U.K, where a 214ce has a list price of £XXX (roughly $XXXX) and a 314ce £XXXX ($XXX), and for the price of a laminated 214 you can have your choice of all solid guitars, even the cheaper Mexican made Martin DRS1, but at the end of the day "you pays your money, you make your choices".
You may find it interesting to watch this YouTube film before you decide, I found it interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3rvjG3tW1M&feature=player_embedded

Regards,
       Ian.

edited for price

Good video, the 3 series shines above the others. It's true about the non US prices on Taylor's - it's considerably more expensive to get hold of them overseas.

Jake_Henry

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »
I agree with some of the other posts here.

I'd say Taylor's in general are less expensive then a lot of guitars I encounter at bluegrass festivals.  Getting a pretty nice, even, loud, guitar under $2,000 is uncommon in the flatpicking-sphere.  I think overall they seem to be consistently well made, and when a company is in production mode, that's saying a lot I think.
2001 w12ce

sacdubro

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 06:05:42 PM »
My family and I just had the pleasure to tour the factory last week in El Cajon, CA USA.  I was excited to be able to share with my kids a true factory in Ca that sends their products all over the world.  That's the biggest difference to consider when comparing "Off Shore" built guitars to an USA made instrument.

Like many of us "Guitar Geeks" I've owned a number of different  brands/types of guitars from various origins. 
However, the guitars I find the most desirable are USA made.  I'm not knocking foreign made products but, I do believe there is something special about buying domestic made instrument.   If you consider the actual "Man Hours" and materials that go into building your guitar with quality components it's a fair price to pay.  Sure, I would like my next Taylor, Martin, Gibson, etc to be priced less than than what they are but the economics is what it is.   
As we all can agree manufactures will charge what the market will bear along with what is required for them to remain profitable.   Only you can decide if that price is agreeable or attainable for you.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 01:32:36 PM »
However, the guitars I find the most desirable are USA made.  I'm not knocking foreign made products but, I do believe there is something special about buying domestic made instrument.

While I would probably be inclined to agree, I wonder why it is you hold that opinion. After all, for someone in Canada or Japan or England, a Taylor is an import.   

If you consider the actual "Man Hours" and materials that go into building your guitar with quality components it's a fair price to pay. 

The man hours required to build a Guild D125 or an Eastman AC320 isn't much different than the amount required to build, say, a Taylor 310. They're all made with quality components. Taylor does have "better" Spruce than the others; it all pretty much comes from the same place.

Make no mistake, a lot of what you're paying for when you buy an American-made instrument is overhead, and has nothing to do with the actual guitar.

PureTone

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »
The specs of an Eastman AC320 are similar to a 310, but the price is close to a 110.

The cost of doing business in the US, not to mention Southern California, extensive CNC usage, UV finish, dealer and customer network, along with a company's corporate structure all add up.

Whether the difference in price between an AC320 and 310 is worth it is completely dependent on the player.

Larrivee produces their all satin 03 Recording Series line in Oxnard, CA and the gloss models are made in Vancouver, BC.

sacdubro

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 01:38:08 PM »
It's difficult to identify the value we all perceive in the products we choose to purchase.  Value is really the issue we're discussing and trying to justify why we make a choice to purchase. 

Again, I'm not saying that all products built in other counties are made with inferior components.  Products are made to the specs the manufacture or dealer specifies to meet a specific market price and category.   

However, when it comes to guitars whether they're acoustic or electric the ones made in the USA are considered to be the "Bench Mark" products.  That's why you see other companies build and market their products that model some of these brands that have a valued position.  In addition, I like to support those companies when possible that support our economy directly by manufacturing and employing our citizens.  There's additional an value added to those products that many of us choose to support.   

One of the most memorable moments for me was when we were driving with our kids to go the Taylor Factory and my son said "why is everything made in China?".  It opened a line of discussion that we all should be asking ourselves.  There are fewer and fewer companies willing to do what it takes to design, spec, build, and market products domestically.  We need to consider what the real cost is for us all to continue with the significant trade deficit that we have in this country.  That being said, it does not mean that I don't support buying products made elsewhere if they meet the need.  But, when possible I do buy local/domestic.

So, getting back to the OP's question of cost.  It's the not the cost but the value we perceive when we choose to purchase.  Only you can decide the value of a given product and its worth.