Author Topic: Pearl Harbor Day  (Read 958 times)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Pearl Harbor Day
« on: December 07, 2012, 06:22:14 PM »
Wow, 71 years ago!!  My mom tells me that when they heard the news people were like "where/what's Pearl Harbor" and when they found out the extent of the attacks it was shocking.

My dad and his brother were already serving in the British Royal Navy and my US uncle went in the US Army and on to fight in the Battle of the Bulge.  In 1943 my dad's ship was shot out from under him and he was one of about 20 that survived.  Countless other families and service members sacrificed and there were great losses on all sides.

My thoughts are with everyone today, the WWII generation is quickly leaving us.  Here in DC we go to the WWII Memorial and see the older veterans from the honor flights - it's always nice to see this older generation, they seem to transform right before our eyes into their younger selves when they are there and I love to hear their stories.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
Re: Pearl Harbor Day
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »
It wasn't until my wife and I visited Hawaii and Pearl Harbor on our honeymoon that it really clicked for me that WWII vets were young guys at the time, in fact, the same age as I was while visiting. 
Up until then I kinda always thought of them as old grey-haired guys, I mean, I logically knew that they weren't elderly during The War but it wasn't until that visit that it really hit home how young they really were. 
Was a very somber feeling. 
Member #34
I'm not darth.

madx2

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »
My father in law was at Pearl Harbor 71 years ago today.  He was stationed on a "support ship" (not a fighting ship) so was on the other side of the harbor.  He never really talked about it much.  He died in 1999.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »
My father in law was at Pearl Harbor 71 years ago today.  He was stationed on a "support ship" (not a fighting ship) so was on the other side of the harbor.  He never really talked about it much.  He died in 1999.

No, those guys didn't talk too much about any of it.  My great uncle (grandmother's brother) was a radio man in Patton's army, and also stormed a beach (Omaha?) on D-Day +2.  His best friend that he went through basic with was running up the beach with him and had his head taken off.  I learned that from my grandparents, Uncle Howard never initiated any conversation about the war.  He was pretty messed up in the years following his return to the states and for the rest of his life he had anger issues.
Whether or not a serviceman is killed in action, it seems ALL gave their lives in one way or another.  They never get back to 'normal'.
Member #34
I'm not darth.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 07:41:22 PM »
Whether or not a serviceman is killed in action, it seems ALL gave their lives in one way or another.  They never get back to 'normal'.

So true.
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard