Author Topic: Photography gear for less than MAP?  (Read 2078 times)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Photography gear for less than MAP?
« on: September 16, 2012, 07:22:45 PM »
Are there any online sites that sell new photography gear for less than MAP? I'm specifically looking for Nikon. There's only one privately owned local store but they rarely sell for less than MAP. Any ideas? ???
Cindy

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
Re: Photography gear for less than MAP?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 09:10:51 PM »
The very concept of "MAP" dictates that you won't find an online dealer selling for below MAP, assuming you're buying on a shopping cart site (B&H, Adorama, etc). Just like guitars, though, if you get them on the phone, they're free to sell below MAP.

Unlike guitars, though, the profit margin on photography equipment can be ridiculously slim. A good buddy of mine used to work in a local shop, and he would always try to cut me a good deal. He would freely show me his cost, too, and it was high when compared to what he was selling gear for. If they weren't selling at MAP, it could actually cost them money to make the deal (depending on the product), and no one is going to stay in business very long if they do that...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:13:14 AM »
Steve, thanks for the info! :) I didn't know there was such a slim profit margin on photo gear. :( I keep an eye out using camelcamelcamel to alert me to any Amazon price drops. Once in a blue moon Amazon will offer an amazing price on a camera body or lens which may be dictated by a Nikon rebate. At least it lets me know when the prices go down. Maybe I'll call one of the big stores to see if they will offer any savings...

Thanks again! :D
Cindy

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:40:59 AM »
Yeah, retail camera sales are nothing like retail guitar sales. Price matching is a relatively alien concept for photography equipment. It's okay to ask, but don't be prepared for a positive outcome...

AlexRkstr

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 03:18:44 PM »
I just bought a D5100 from Amazon and paid full price. Why? Essentially because of the warranty. I see DSLRs as highly tuned machines that can have anything go wrong with them. I did my research and found tons of cheaper alternatives including refurbished cameras and lenses, which are a great deal as long as there are no known defects with that camera.

Re: Cameta, I bought my Nikon case from them and 1) it took forever, no tracking number, and 2) they didn't even include the original receipt, I had to call and get one emailed.

Try Adorama, Nikon's online refurb store, and Amazon.

I forgot to mention, camera bodies have a 1 year warranty and lenses a 5 yr warranty when bought  brand new. They both have 90 days if refurbished.

Also forgot to mention BEWARE of buying grey market cameras and lenses as these do NOT have the same warranty, hence they are less expensive. I really think saving for the camera you want is the best way to go.

(I got the D5100, a 50mm 1.8f lens, and a Tamaron 70-300)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:21:07 PM by AlexRkstr »
Taylor W16ce | Larrivee LV03E

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 03:24:57 AM »
I just bought a D5100 from Amazon.....

Also forgot to mention BEWARE of buying grey market cameras and lenses as these do NOT have the same warranty, hence they are less expensive. ....

Here in the UK you have to be careful even buying from Amazon. A few months ago I bought a Nikon SB-910 Speedlight. I did all my research and bought from Amazon UK, there were some cheaper sources in Amazon Marketplace, but I wanted to be sure I got a Nikon UK sourced product, and so went with Amazon themselves. When I received the Speedlight, the manual and all the documentation were in German!. I rang Amazon and they said it wasn't a problem. they would contact Nikon and get them to send me an English manual. I rang Nikon about the warranty, and they claimed the EU warranty was standard across the EU, so in theory it wasn't considered by them to be a 'grey' import. In the end I returned the unit to Amazon and bought the flash from a UK national photo chain; it cost 10% more but was sourced from Nikon UK. Now I'm sure Nikon would have honoured the warranty if I'd had a problem, and consumer laws in the UK are supposed to be the same acoross the EU, but I wanted to be certain. I'm a big fan of Amazon and would of been happy to pay the extra 10% to them.

I can highly recommend the SB-910 by the way  ;D
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 02:09:32 PM »
If you can be satisfied with slightly used gear (including the most-recent generation of gear) take a look at http://www.keh.com/. It has some really good deals, and my wife and I have bought some nice gear from its listings.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 02:21:13 PM »
If you can be satisfied with slightly used gear (including the most-recent generation of gear) take a look at http://www.keh.com/. It has some really good deals, and my wife and I have bought some nice gear from its listings.

While I've never purchased from them, I have heard good things about them; Adorama and B&H (my personal "go to"), as well...