Author Topic: Your stupidest Charlie Chaplin moments  (Read 2546 times)

Von Beerhofen

Your stupidest Charlie Chaplin moments
« on: July 01, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »
Laurel and Hardy moments are fine too.
Here's one of mine, I've got a few more but I'll save those for later.

I think it was 1969 and I'd saved up money to be able to buy my first guitar (not accounting for my first spanish study guitar which was paid for by my grandmother and parents). It was an EKO 12 string which I had used a few times in our local church band called the Seaside Gospel Group.
Being quite popular after a few local radio shows, we'd regularly travel to other churches to perform, often by bus or family cars and sometimes by train.
One day, we were on the road again or better on the rail, it must have been within at least 6 months after purchase because the warranty hadn't expired yet. I just had stepped into the train and was looking for a place to sit as the train suddenly brisquely came to life. A big jolt went through the carriage and almost knocked me off my feet. Not holding on to anything and with metal grip pipes on either side of me I struggled to regain my ballance doing some weird twist with my body and the guitar, which I was holding firmly with both hands.
The guitar was inside a padded carrying bag and hit one of the metal grip bars with some spot on the neck. It didn't feel important at the time and I didn't loose my ballance completely so I shrugged it off and continued on my way to the performance.
When it was time I wanted to unwrap the guitar, body first ofcourse, and alarm bells immediately started ringing when I heard some cluncky and twangy noises coming from the inside of the bag.
It turned out the headstock had seperated completely and was dangling loosly on the end of the strings. Fortunately the band's insurance covered the dammage and a local lend me his guitar for the performance.
Ofcourse I bought a new one, this time it was a Kings 12 string as I hoped the neck wouldn't be as fragile as the EKO. About 3 or 4 weeks after the disaster we were on our way again, this time in a public bus. Same gripbars on either side and it was as if the driver had waited for this moment, I was still going down the centre isle looking for a seat as the bus all of a sudden brisquely came alive.
In a futile effort to replicate the original moves I made only 4 weeks before I succesfully completed the exact same acrobatics and whack, mannaged to exactly hit the guitar in the exact same spot.
With the previous happening still fresh in my mind there was no doubt this time as to what had happened.
I never bought a 12 string again, stupid public transport!

Von Beerhofen
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 03:54:44 PM by Von Beerhofen »

Von Beerhofen

Re: Your stupidest Charlie Chaplin moments
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 09:38:06 PM »
OK, I guess I'm worse then Stan Laurel and possibly the only one who got into these types of situations. So just to make you guys laugh about another idiot on this planet, here's annecdote II, and this isn't the last one!

So here I was, the proud owner of a Gisbon ES Artist Active and doing some recording demo's for a few friends of mine. I'm all into it, playing along with an 8 track home recording setup and trying to add something to a recording to which I wasn't even invited to play.
However it was my gear, so I just tried for the fun of it.
So here I was, totally focused on the stuff my friends played and somehow trying to add something of my own.
In such a situation one isn't very aware of it's surroundings but at this point I completely had forgotten I moved my couch out of the way and it was no longer where it used to be and my room wasn't very large.
I usually don't play with my eyes open all the time, and at that moment I had them closed and was pacing around as one usually does, totally forgetting about the couch I moved and sure enough my knees mannaged to find that couch and went , ohoooooooh, and I saltoed over the armrests, head first, landed on my back doing some idioted squirm to protect my guitar from harm.
I have no idea how I made that move at the time but we both survived. I know it all sounds rediculous but it's a true story. Ofcourse people rushed in to see if I was fine, or perhaps they were much more concerned with the guitar.
 If you think this is all too rediculous to believe, give me a hint and I'll not bother you with the culmination of my final experience, because that one defies all boundaries of credabillaty.

Von Beerhofen

edited for price
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:31:21 AM by UTGF-Team »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:01:11 AM »
OK, I'll bite, but first, here's my slapstick moment:

Back in the day, I had formed a band doing all-original acoustic music. The task fell to me to arrange all vocals and cue people on their instruments for particular moods or lead lines. We use to record our practice sessions to capture any good ideas that developed.  We all used to sit around a microphone on tall, backless stools to achieve a warm, blended room sound. One evening, as I was trying to explain the nuance of a particular passage, I waxed poetic and leaned back only to find myself, my Gibson Hummingbird and the stool in a downward flight. In mid sentence, I let out a loud, "Whoa!" and crashed to the floor, making sure I protected my guitar. I was no worse for wear, just a bit humbled, and of course, the moment was preserved on tape for all to enjoy years later. (This is your Life!)
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:40:16 PM »
That's a nice annecdote SF, or perhaps not so nice however one looks at it. I just wish I had some video replay on how I mannaged to survive both events and keep the guitar intact. It could have payed off in Europe's funniest home videos.
Immagine telling on TV that it wasn't at all funny when it happened but the reward on the video makes most of it good, lol.

Ludwig
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:28:47 AM by Von Beerhofen »

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »
Just about had an OH NO moment with my Taylor just the other night. 
I normally play in the living room, seated on the couch, and I get the guitar out of the case that lays on the floor.

But, that evening, I decided to play in the bedroom (so my wife could watch TV in the LR).
Got the case out of its corner, set it on the bed, sat down next to it and opened the case.  So far so good. 

I started to take my prized GSLJ out of the case and just then the lid decided to flop closed (because, since I was sitting on the bed the case wasn't level and was tilted toward me a bit).   :o :o :o
Just in time I realized what was about to happen and I blocked the lid with my wrist about an inch before one of the latch 'tongues' could slam into the top.  Whoa, that was close. 
I don't know what I would've done, you know, after the crying and swearing anyway.   :-[

Here's the 'tongue'.

I really wish the case had some sort of hold-open-brass-thingama-jobber, but it doesn't, so I'll just have to be more careful.
I consider that my one free pass.
-K

Member #34
I'm not darth.

Von Beerhofen

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 09:02:08 AM »
Oh yeah, that sounds very familiar, scary even and reminds me of another event in my life which I had forgotten about, or perhaps I've just been trying to push it out of my memory because my guitar still carries the sign of it.

I had placed my Gibson Artist on a stand in front of my loudspeaker set, huge Tannoy Gold monitors, on which I had placed my 19'' rack items due to the limmited space in my room.
As I have a 'small' homerecording studio, the stack had grown quite a bit as every new item was just simply placed on top of the previous one.
At the time and till now it consists of:
Roland SDE 3000,
Yamaha TX802
Yamaha SPX 90
TC Electronic 1140 param
Rane  2*10 band eq
Shadow MIDI interface
Yamaha TX7

The gibson was modified to drive the midi interface and stood there allways hooked up to all of it.
I also had an Alsation at the time  and since all of this was in a corner of the room, with hardly any space behind and besides it , I just didn't foresee any problems with it (STUPID!)

One evening I came home from work and I should have noticed the 'please forgive me' look in the dog's eyes as I entered my house. She didn't seem as exited as normal and initially I thought she had peed on the floor or something (crap happens with dogs).
Entering my room a scene of total devastation caught my eyes, the entire stack had fallen down on top of the Gibson which sat right in front of it. The dog appearently had spotted something in the corner and must have tried to go there, perhaps a mouse or maybe a coocky which somehow had found it's way there.
Her leg had appearently caught the wire or perhaps she got totally entangled by it and she must have paniced.
The guitar had broken the fall of the rack items and they had become stuck a meter lower between the tannoy and a small wooden desk on which my mixing console was located, where they sat at a 45 degree angle.
Although it looked like a real mess, everything still looked intact and after putting those items back everything was still working fine.
However when I inspected the guitar a hole in the lacquer showed, as if someone had driven a sharp pen into it, right there in the lower one of the mickey mouse ears.
Fortunately I didn't see anything else inspite of the force with which the stack must have hit it. I didn't even go for an insurance claim, I doubt wether they would have paid me anyway as one could say it was pure negligance on my part.
Remembering a few other Gibsons which had a toggle switch in that exact location, I decided to drill out the dammage and lay in a round position marker, which worked very well for a two lefthanded unskilled administrator. So if some day you'll come across a beautifully flamed vintage, very used and smoke lacquered Gibson ES Artist Active with an inlayed white dot in the lower micky mouse ear, you know where it came from and with this story attached it should fetch a higher price!

Ludwig
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:36:17 AM by Von Beerhofen »

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »
I'm getting back into cycling and invested in some clipless pedal/cleats. I was riding, clipped in, and came to the end of a paved trail where I was going to turn around. Saw a deer in the adjacent field, began slowing down, went onto the grass, the bike stopped, tried to get my feet free, and I suppose you can guess the rest. Fortunately, the deer isn't talking....

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 10:01:13 PM »
I'm getting back into cycling and invested in some clipless pedal/cleats. I was riding, clipped in, and came to the end of a paved trail where I was going to turn around. Saw a deer in the adjacent field, began slowing down, went onto the grass, the bike stopped, tried to get my feet free, and I suppose you can guess the rest. Fortunately, the deer isn't talking....

Oh man, I've done that one, ha ha!  Pulling up to stop and tipping right over while clipped in! 

Another one is pulling into a gas station on a motorcycle, shutting off the engine and stepping off the bike, only to realize you forgot the kickstand as the bike uncerimoniously flops onto its side.  And, this only ever happens when people are watching and you're trying to act cool, of course!   :o
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »

Oh man, I've done that one, ha ha!  Pulling up to stop and tipping right over while clipped in! 

Another one is pulling into a gas station on a motorcycle, shutting off the engine and stepping off the bike, only to realize you forgot the kickstand as the bike uncerimoniously flops onto its side.  And, this only ever happens when people are watching and you're trying to act cool, of course!   :o
-K

I have been there and done that.  When first getting use the the clipless pedals rode up to stop light, and in front of everyone including the pick up load of rednecks fallen over, it was a great bit of entertainment for all except moi.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 08:47:56 AM »
I zigged when I should have zagged, and it happened again. Long story short-my "love affair" with clipless pedals is in the rear-view mirror....