Author Topic: Destroy weapons?  (Read 1610 times)

madx2

Destroy weapons?
« on: October 27, 2022, 06:58:10 AM »
What is the best way to destroy a bunch of handguns and rifles? My military training said to: completely disassemble and throw the pieces in every direction, bend the barrel, put in acid, or blow them up. I'm leaning towards "disassemble and bury". What say you?

madx2

Re: Destroy weapons?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 07:44:33 PM »
The back story is I may be inheriting 8 handguns and 9 rifles. I won't want to sell them, give them away or turn them in to the police for destruction. Also, none of them are illegal or stolen. They were all purchased legally at a gun shop by the current owner.

Bob Womack

• Now we've got 'em where they want us!
    • The Musician's Room
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 10:08:59 AM »
I'm not sure what the motivation is to destroy functional weapons, but there is a legal definition of weapon destruction and your intended method doesn't achieve or approach it.  In order for it to be legally destroyed in the U.S., the part containing the serial number, ie. the receiver*, must be rendered non-functional in such a way that it permanently cannot be returned to service.  Preferred methods are smelting, melting, crushing, and cutting through with a torch.  More HERE on the ATF site.

"An unserviceable firearm is not destroyed and is still regulated as a “firearm” under Federal law. Any method of destruction must render the firearm so that it is not restorable to firing condition and is otherwise reduced to scrap"

The ATF is quite picky.  Why not give them away to a respective collector or firearms lover?

Bob

*  Lower receiver on an AR-15.
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE  MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 11:11:27 AM »
Why not give them away to a respective collector or firearms lover?

^^ This X100.  For many of us, destroying perfectly good firearms would rate right up there with destroying perfectly good guitars that you inherited but have no interest in owning.  If you take them to the police, many PD's let the officers have first pick of whatever comes in before sending the rest on to be destroyed.  Other PD's will auction them off later to raise funds.  If you don't want to inherit and own them, is there another relative who would appreciate them?
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 11:14:25 AM »
....They were all purchased legally at a gun shop by the current owner.

Reading further, if the current owner is still with us and you don't want them, simply tell that person.  I'd be heartbroken if I willed mine to someone who then promptly destroyed them.  I have dozens of friends, some siblings, and neighbors who would deserve a crack at my collection, and use them safely for the remainder of their lives.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

madx2

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 11:14:53 PM »
thank you all for your replies.