Author Topic: Taylor T5z Standard  (Read 2391 times)

Flashdharma

Taylor T5z Standard
« on: October 15, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »
I just purchased a used 2014 Taylor T5z Standard Sunburst.  After living with it for a few days, I have some observations.

1.  It is the first guitar I have ever purchased without playing it, and it is the first guitar I have purchased over the internet.  Needless to say, I was more than little concerned about how this whole thing was going to turn out. I purchased it off of 'Reverb' and when it arrived it was in better condition than the seller's description had suggested.  I was very happy.

2. I recently began to study classical guitar to improve my technical skills. I fingerpick exclusively.  I tried a variety of classical guitars and hybrids, including the Taylor nylon and decided that I hated the neck on the traditional classic guitar, and I could not afford a Taylor that could only be played as a nylon string guitar.  I completely gave up on a new instrument and continued to play classical music on my Les Paul - not the best choice.  I stumbled on the T5z on YouTube, not realizing that Taylor made an electric hybrid.  The demos on YouTube looked great.  It seemed like it was exactly what I wanted.  So . . . I found a used T5z Standard on 'Reverb' and ordered it.

3.  I was a difficult relationship at the start.  If you are thinking of purchasing a T5z and have not lived with one before, read this section.  The T5z is a touchy, sensitive guitar.

When I got it, I could not wait to play it.  I sat down, plugged it in, set it to the first setting (acoustic) and began to play.  It sounded HORRIBLE.  It was making awful noises.  I tried everything but between each finger strike, there were these hideous, high pitched wolf-tones.  The instrument was useless.  Interestingly, when I went to the 3rd setting, the bridge pickup, the problem disappeared.  Unfortunately, the two settings I bought the guitar for were the acoustic and fretboard humbucker (I play mostly jazz and blues). 

Eventually, I figured out that, because I have long fingernails for playing classical, as I struck the string (which was still vibrating) the guitar was picking up the buzz from my fingernail approaching the vibrating string.  Once I realized what the source of the problem was, I filed my nails so that the flesh of my finger momentarily contacted the string just before the fingernail strike.  That alleviated the problem, but it did not solve it.  I remembered that some commenters in the Taylor forum had suggested that even the 11s were too light and you should go to heavier strings, and for sure, to get a set with a wound third.  I put 3 sets of heavier gauge strings on (even a set of Martin bronze).  Nothing helped.  I loved the voice of the guitar, but it was unusable with it picking up the finger noise (something I had never experience before in years of playing).  Eventually, I decided to send the guitar back and get a refund.  Since I was not going to keep it, and I don't play with heavy strings, I strung it up with a set of Curt Mangan 10 - 46, pure nickle strings which are the strings I use on all my electrics.  At least, i felt, it would be playable until I shipped it off.  Once it was strung up, I plugged it in and, to my surprise, it played perfectly.

Take with a 'grain of salt' anything anyone says about how to set one of these guitars up. Your playing style, flat pick, fingers, stiff, or thin pick, fingers with a thumb pick, fingers with long finger nails, short finger nails, etc.  will all influence the way the guitar plays.  There is certainly good advice on the forum, but you may find that the genre of music you play, the attack you use when you play, the playing style you use, will all have a 'dramatic' effect on the way the T5z responds to you.  What I have learned is that this is the most wonderful guitar I have ever owned, but I had to sit and talk with it.  I had to reach a mutual understanding with it about how the guitar and I were going to make music together.  Once we understood 'each other' everything was fine.

Here is a quick video of my new Taylor.  This is a completely raw sound.  I have not made any adjustments to the sound at all - no eq, no reverb, no nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVremQKOsV4&feature=youtu.be

Finally, as has been said elsewhere.  This is not a Les Paul; it is not a Telecaster; it is not a Martin Dreadnought.  It is a Taylor T5z and it has its own voice(s) - which by the way are beautiful.  Accept it for what it is.  It offers a unique and wonderful array of sounds - all of them T5z sounds.  It is a temperamental beast, but well worth getting to know.

Hope this helps someone avoid the pain I went through.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:11:11 PM by Flashdharma »

Radd

Re: Taylor T5z Standard
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 06:58:44 PM »
Bill

Congrats on the new guitar.  I bought a used T5z I saw on-line without ever playing it.  It arrived in just a couple of days and it was packed and protected better than I ever imagined.  It was in absolutely mint condition and was, without question, the best playing and  feeling guitar I have ever touched.  That thin neck with that 12” radius ebony finger board was pure heaven.

Ahhh, the obvious question would of course be, why don’t I still have it?  The simple answer is, I don’t play jazz and that was the only really great sound I could get out of those 3 pickups.  That second position with the treble rolled down and the bass rolled up created a spectacular jazz sound.....not what I needed.

It sounds like the perfect guitar for you.  Oh ya, one other roll it was the best at and I miss, that being a couch acoustic guitar....great fun.

Enjoy it

Conrad

Flashdharma

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 07:03:36 PM »
Yes, I completely forgot to mention playing it as an acoustic.  I love it.  As you say, the neck is like soft, creamy butter.  It is the best playing guitar I have ever held.  There are some negative reviews of its acoustic qualities here, and on YouTube, but my experience is that it is a wonderful practice guitar unplugged.  I have put in hours of practice time with it unplugged and the TV on.

I have some very nice instruments, and the T5z is, hands down, the best guitar I own.

Flashdharma

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 11:55:39 AM »
Another aspect of the T5z that I failed to mention is that it is perfectly intonated.  My primary performance instrument has been an ES-Les Paul. The tuning issues with the Les Pauls are well known, and real.  I have to retune the Gibson constantly when performing, and, every tuning is a compromise. The Taylor, once it is tuned, is in tune up the entire nice and stays in tune.

Since most of my work now is done in the studio rather than performing live, a guitar that tunes properly, and that stays in tune is a blessing.

Flashdharma

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 03:55:08 PM »
I have a question for experienced T5z users. I am going directly into my 'Roland Studio Capture' which is connected to my DAW.  I have seen a variety of responses to the idea of using the 'Taylor XLR' cable to connect the the T5z guitar.  Since I can plug directly into the XLR input on the Roland, this seems like a good idea to me.  Has anyone had any experience connecting the T5z using this system?

Thanks for any suggestions . . .

Bill

Radd

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 10:08:01 PM »
I’m not sure but I think you might get very few responses.  The forum has a bunch of nice folks who primarily focus on acoustic and threads regarding the electrics die rather quick.

I have gotten much more Taylor electric info from asking a question in Google and then getting directed to some of the acoustic forums.

Good luck

Conrad

KM Frye

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 01:21:19 AM »
As a former sound tech, I would think that you'd have a better chance of getting a pure-er acoustic sound through a PA that way, provided you've selected the right position on the 5-way but into a guitar amp, I doubt you'd hear a meaningful difference.

And yes, as another T5z owner, I have noticed a bit of a dearth of other owners on here, yet they can't seem to keep the model in the stores.  Maybe we're just too busy enjoying them to spend a lot of time here?

;)
Kevin Frye
Composer, conductor, player

Taylor T5Z
Rickenbacker 370/12
Gretsch 6122 CG
Fender FJ
Beaver Creek classical parlor guitar

itstooloudMike

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
Still loving my T5z. Very versatile, and I get so many positive comments on how beautiful it looks. It has one of the easiest playing necks I have ever played. And the light weight is refreshing. The T5z isn't a replacement for any of my other guitars, but it's a wonderful addition to my collection. Just a joy to play.

https://imgur.com/MJnERir
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 03:42:22 PM by itstooloudMike »

Radd

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 03:37:28 PM »
Still loving my T5z. Very versatile, and I get so many positive comments on how beautiful it looks. It has one of the easiest playing necks I have ever played. And the light weight is refreshing. The T5z isn't a replacement for any of my other guitars, but it's a wonderful addition to my collection. Just a joy to play.

https://imgur.com/MJnERir

No question about it, my T5z Pro had the best neck I have ever played.  It was also the most comfortable guitar to sit around and noodle on I have ever owned.  Like all the Taylor electrics the fit and finish is second to none. 

I’m glad you are enjoying yours.