Author Topic: iPhone 5 - who's getting one?  (Read 8327 times)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
iPhone 5 - who's getting one?
« on: September 12, 2012, 06:31:22 PM »
Not me but I need a new phone and am hoping the 4 or 4S goes on "sale".  I need a new iPod as well so thought I'd just upgrade to the iPhone.  All my friends have smart phones and I still have my "dumb" one with a battery that is just barely holding a charge.

On the other hand maybe I should just go straight to the iPad and get a new battery for my current phone - anyone have an iPad and how do you like it?  Maybe I'll ask Santa for one this year.....

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: iPhone 5 - who's getting one?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »
CBS in Philly is reporting that the iphone 4S will sell for $XX with a 2-year contract. If it does, how does that factor into your decision?!! :o

edited for price
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:45:35 PM by UTGF-Team »
Cindy

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 07:08:16 PM »
I would say that now's an excellent time for me to update my phone........... ;D

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 07:09:01 PM »
We have a "nearly ancient" original iPad 3G.  It still does the job, we're still happy with it.  Besides all the typical internet, photo, Skype, eReader, e-mail, video viewer, etc, etc stuff, it serves as a back-up chartplotter on our boat.  We find it very useful.

Regarding an iPhone: my lovely wife has an iPhone4.  She is delighted with it.  Uses the heck out of it.  She was late to come to the smartphone party, but now says she would NOT give it up.  I use a now-one-year-old Droid Bionic; I got that because it was 4G... important to us because we travel a lot and the phone is now our wifi hotspot (we used a Mifi card before that).  We do not have a land line, DSL, or cable modem; haven't for years.  The Bionic runs all our internet devices, and does a fine job.  When it is time to update, I will certainly consider the iPhone5, now that 4G is available - it really makes a significant difference.

If you want to read an exchange from another forum posted to our cruising thread in regards to the "Apple Event" today, look here...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2012/09/shdd.html

Yes, very tongue-in-cheek.  ;D

Smartphones and iPads - if you have never used 'em, you can't imagine what you'd need 'em for... and once you do use 'em, you can't imagine NOT having them.  Oh, and to keep this OT for a guitar forum, you can do ALL KINDS of music stuff with 'em, too!  8)

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:17:30 PM »
Thanks CJ.  I have a few friends that have the iPads and they love 'em too.  One doesn't even have the service and just uses it at internet cafes - are those called "hotspots?"  I'll have to get up to speed on all these new terms..... :-\

My hubby is looking into using the iPhone as a "hotspot" like you mentioned.  We are moving to MT in a few years and won't have cable (but will have indoor plumbing.... ::)...lol) and he was telling me if I got the iPhone we could use it to run the computer or the iPad that is in out future.

Good to hear it works well for you - I know you travel alot and have experience.  You are right on about the "once you have one" thing.  My hubby has a Droid and when we travel I'm like "lemme see your phone for a minute..."  However, I don't like the small screen but I suppose that's just one of those things to get used to.

Oh yeah, I do see where the iPad would be very useful for music - can load sheet music and such.  I see there are some apps that can be loaded that are music related.  I was at a Steep Canyon Rangers concert the summer and Steve Martin was with them and he went on and on about his iPad that they had up on stage.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:21:17 PM by TaylorPlayer516 »

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 10:54:36 PM »
While my 3GS is still functional, we are well out of contract. We've been waiting for the 5 to come out. We won't line up at the Apple Store, but I do expect to put in my order for two online on Friday when they can be preordered. Goodbye, AT&T, too!
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 02:19:26 AM »
Its another 6 months before I'm due to change my phone, but it won't be an Apple; I've always thought they were over-priced and over-hyped My last couple of phones have been Blackberrys, and I really like my Torch 9860; my daughter has an iPhone 4, the battery life and signal reception is very poor compared to the Blackberry, but my wife's Samsung Galaxy has the better battery life of the three phones. I change my phone every year or so, and like to really research the options and take a lot of pleasure from the process, so its never rushed. I hope RIM step up and bring out a decent phone as I have always found the Blacberrys very user friendly and provide the flexibility that I like. However, if RIM doesn’t come up with the goods, it’s looking more and more like Samsung.
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 02:42:07 PM »
I have an iPhone 4S, and I'm seriously considering moving back to the iPhone 4, which is what I had when I was with Taylor.

The battery life on the 4 was outstanding. The 4S? Not so much. I bought a Mophie for it, but even with that it doesn't match up to the battery life of the iPhone 4...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 02:54:12 PM »
I have an iPhone 4 and intend to replace it with the iPhone 5.

This web page shows the battery charge duration for the iPhone 4, 4s and 5:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/compare

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 03:05:37 PM »
I change my phone every year or so, and like to really research the options and take a lot of pleasure from the process, so its never rushed.

If you replace your phone every year, do you opt to pay more up front for not agreeing to a 2-year contract? I'm not eligible to upgrade for 8 more months... :(
Cindy

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 03:07:37 PM »
Wow, the prices of the iPhone 5 are just stupid...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 03:35:21 PM »
I change my phone every year or so, and like to really research the options and take a lot of pleasure from the process, so its never rushed.

If you replace your phone every year, do you opt to pay more up front for not agreeing to a 2-year contract? I'm not eligible to upgrade for 8 more months... :(

Hi Cindy. yes I do pay a higher monthly fee, but over the course of the contract it only equates to 1 or 2 months payment. I usually compromise and go for an 18 month contract, in the knowledge that my provider will offer me a deal to upgrade at about the 14 month point, providing that I take out a new contract with them.

I really avoid anything longer than 18 months, in case the phone turns out to be a turkey.
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 05:02:12 PM »

I don't see any difference in the price I paid for the iPhone 3 or  iPhone 4.

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 05:26:31 PM »

I don't see any difference in the price I paid for the iPhone 3 or  iPhone 4.
Prices for comparable Android phones are about the same, too. The top of the line Nokia Windows 7 phones are also about the same price.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 01:22:27 AM »
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic