Author Topic: Sub-Par Guitars?  (Read 6719 times)

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
Re: Sub-Par Guitars?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 09:42:30 AM »
I did a John Mayes commission six or seven years ago.  He was getting all kinds of praise on the AGF, and I was looking to build the "End All" guitar. Went with Madagascar Rosewood and a beautiful bearclaw Cedar top in an SJ body.  Several months and a very pretty penny later, the guitar arrived on the doorstep.  It was beautiful. The craftsmanship seemed top shelf.  The guitar sounded, well, like a cardboard box. No highs, no lows, just flat and blah.  Tried several different types of strings, sent it back to John for tweaking, but no improvement.  The guitar was simply a gorgeous, overpriced turd.

I ended up trading it at a ridiculous loss toward a D28 Marquis.

This taught me a very valuable lesson on the idea of custom, small shop guitars and the need to famiarize myself with their work.  Word of mouth is a nice start to the process, but I need to play several examples of their work before I plunk down $multi-k for one again...
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

ewalling

Re: Sub-Par Guitars?
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 05:27:12 PM »
The guitar was simply a gorgeous, overpriced turd.

I must make a mental note of that delightful little epithet!     ;D