Author Topic: Epic Road Trip...  (Read 1705 times)

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
Epic Road Trip...
« on: February 09, 2021, 09:57:04 AM »
I love to travel. It's in my blood. I've had a valid passport for as long as I can remember. I spent 20 years in the Navy and traveled all over the world.

I can't not travel.

In 2018, my brother and I took our Mom to Ireland. In April of 2019 I did a solo photo excursion to Italy, and in May of 2019 I took my daughter to Scotland for her birthday (we go wherever in the world she wants to go every year). Last year, my daughter's birthday trip was going to be to Belgium, but Covid happened. This year, we were going to go, and fly first class but, sadly, there are still just too many international travel restrictions for it to be feasible.

So, I decided I'm going to change things up. I'm going to embark on two epic road trips this year. I'm going to drive the four longest roads in America.

The first leg will actually be the third longest road, from Boston to Seattle. I'll drive from Florida to Boston, spend a couple of days with an old Navy buddy and his family before heading west on I-90. While I'll be able to visit friends and family along the way, the main goal will be to stop and explore and photograph the small towns along the way that just scream "old time Americana".

After various stops along the way, I'll visit my daughter and her fiance in Seattle for a couple of days. My daughter will then join me for the drive south to Newport, OR for the cross-country drive along US-20, which is the longest road in America. US-20 actually has its own website: Historic US-20

There are literally dozens of small towns along the way, and we'll stop and photograph as many of them as we can.

This is the western portion of US-20:

And this is the eastern portion:

One of the highlights is going to be driving through Yellowstone. It'll be late April, so all of the roads should be open by the time we get there.

While my daughter's also a photographer, her forte is video, so she'll be bringing her video gear as well as her drone. She wants to document the whole "longest road" thing. We'll drive to Boston, and then my daughter will decide if she just wants to fly back to Seattle or head down to Florida with me for a visit.

I'm figuring the entire trip to take about five weeks. With side trips here and there, the total distance will be well over 10,000 miles so, instead of driving my car, I'll be renting a Ford Explorer. It's not as good on gas mileage as the car, but it ain't bad, plus it's roomier and will hold a lot of gear/suitcases/crap I buy along the way. Plus, you can't put a price on peace of mind. If I break down in my car, I'm on the hook for repairs (that happened to me in 2013 in Montana). If I break down in the Explorer, I just call Avis.

I'll endeavor to knock out the second and fourth longest roads in either late summer or early fall...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Epic Road Trip...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 10:12:12 AM »
Sounds awesome, wishing you the safest of travels. We also love traveling in our motor home. So much too see!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 11:46:53 AM »
Sounds awesome, wishing you the safest of travels. We also love traveling in our motor home. So much too see!

Thanks!

I looked into renting a motorhome; figured I cold combine lodging and transportation costs. Even a small one at Cruise America was going to run me around eight grand, and that's before I started putting fuel in it.

I'll still be spending a lot of money, but I find it difficult to put a price tag on the time I get to spend with my daughter...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 09:51:02 AM »
PM sent - you'll be passing through my backyard.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 09:13:06 PM »
PM sent - you'll be passing through my backyard.

Received and responded!

eatpasta

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 02:48:43 PM »
that sounds amazing!  I too have the wanderlust - its a sickness really.

The worst part is, the longer you're away, the less you want to go back...
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time

TS Eliot

1970 Les Paul Custom - '54 Reissue
1983 Les Paul Standard - Tobacco burst
1991 Taylor 712
1994 Fender Strat (first guitar)
1995 Blueridge Acoustic
2005 Taylor Big Baby