Author Topic: What Else Do You Do?  (Read 2598 times)

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
Re: What Else Do You Do?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 01:28:56 AM »
I’ve been off of guitar forums for several years, having been very active previously.

Good to see you back, Cotten!  I understand the need to take a break at times.  My photography was all back in the film / darkroom era, with almost no digital experience.

I've got a slew of 35mm cameras. I really need to push some film through some of them!
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

TrampsLikeUs

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 09:58:59 PM »
I'm pa-paw to 6 grandchildren ( 1 more in August).  Lots of baseball, basketball, soccer games.  I love to play chess, I like Nice watches ( I have 22, ... I think),  and since retiring nov. '19,  I'm really enjoying taking guitar lessons.  My newest time consuming activity is driving to and from a mountain cabin purchased last September in Hayesville North Carolina.  It's a 10 hour trip.  And last but NOT least, when I get time, NAPS!!!   
... I forgot,  I have a nice yard, so yard-work is a time consumer.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 10:45:09 AM by TrampsLikeUs »
1985 Washburn D-12CE
2015 Ibanez Artcore AS73-TBC Electric
Washburn WCG66SCE GA Acoustic
Fender Statocaster SRV 1997 artist series
Taylor 856ce 12 string Indian Rosewood
Taylor K-14 2019 KOA Builder Edition
Taylor 2019 GS-Mini Koa  (2)
Taylor PS-18 2015 Tobacco Sunburst Sitka Spruce Top, W/ Brazilian Rosewood back/sides
Taylor GA Custom 2019 Sinker Redwood Top/ Cocobolo back/sides

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 03:30:27 PM »
I'm still practicing dentistry, haven't gotten it right yet.  Currently in my 44th year of "practice". Seems I've only retired from skiing, tennis, dieting and mountain hiking.  I've been singing in a prominent community choir for over 30 years, been to Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall as well as many places in Europe singing.  I'm also a bird watcher, with sightings across the country and world, including Russia, Israel and Australia. Since the onset of Covid,  I've dabbled with song writing; my first effort reflected my interest in bird watching and hiking (particularly the White Mountains of New Hampshire) with a tune titled "Mountain Bird".  I've also created new melodies for a number of prayers in the Jewish Friday night service lineup.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

AmericanEagle

• Veteran Member
  • <><
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2021, 09:41:28 PM »
I’ve been off of guitar forums for several years, having been very active previously.

I’m enjoying the gift of every new day of life, trying not to squander any opportunity. I have so much for which to be truly grateful!

cotten
I’m so glad to hear from you again, and very happy you are doing well.
AGF misses you. We all do here as well. You are a great person.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2021, 08:30:28 PM »
Coming late to this discussion; for some reason I wasn't getting any e-mail notifications of the new posts I had been subscribed to on this site...

By trade I'm an aerospace engineer; I work in a niche of the field called flight testing.  Basically, I'm one of the people that makes sure airplanes don't fall out of the sky; I do this while babysitting test pilots (and if you think that's an exaggeration, you don't know test pilots...! ;) )  I have always had an interest in aviation and own my own airplane; I at one point or another I have flown myself all the way to both coasts and back again while visiting various places in between.

My first love in sports is baseball.  Life-long Pittsburgh Pirates fan; I grew up in the city during the days of Clemente and Stargell -- back when the team was a yearly contender for the pennant.  When I got laid off from my job in 2018 which resulted in a lengthy period of unemployment, and then the world came to a screeching halt with COVID, I managed to parlay some of that interest into a little side business of scouring the thrift stores for authentic baseball jerseys and caps and flipping them on a well-known auction site.  Not even close to making a living at it -- but I'm successful enough that other people are paying for the jerseys and caps I keep for myself...  Sports-wise, I also enjoy playing volleyball, snow skiing, and found that I had a talent for goal tending in soccer.  I also enjoy target shooting.

Artistically, I have a couple of interests, some more developed than others.  I like to think I'm better than a snapshot photographer -- but am a long way from an artist with the camera.  I seem to have a talent for creative writing; I keep meaning to pursue it more closely, and develop some of the story ideas I have, but never seem to devote the time necessary to do so.  I have written a couple of short stories and tried my hand at parody lyrics (a la "Weird Al" Yankovic).  Got back into musical interests about 10 years ago with guitar and keyboard; basically self-taught at both, although I would be the first to admit that any skills I display are far more the result of repetition than innate talent...  Whenever asked to self-rate my musical skills, I often respond, "Well, no one's offered to pay to hear me play -- but no one's offered to pay to make me stop either...!" ;)

I have an interest in classic automobiles, mainly Corvettes (I own a 1998 coupe in a rare factory color called Aztec Gold Metallic -- one of only 15 built).  I've also tinkered with older cars, mainly in keeping alive the 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula that I have owned since new.  It's not even close to the fastest car on the roads any more (many 4-door family sedans have more horsepower than it does); but it's probably one of the most original examples of an '89 Firebird Formula you'll ever find!  But if the truth be told, I'd rather drive them than work on them...!

In addition to within the U.S., I've traveled to many places around the world:  Canada, France, Switzerland, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, and Ireland.  Some places I just did sightseeing; others I expressly visited to do some SCUBA diving (like Australia's Great Barrier Reef and Fiji).  One of my goals in traveling has been to set foot on every continent.  In retirement, one of my goals will be to catch the Pirates at every MLB ballpark.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)