Author Topic: New D'Addario Humidification System NEW Sound Hole Insert is Single Pouch!  (Read 3131 times)

crashcup

• "Trust in God, but tie your camel!"
I have used humidipaks for years without any problems. I've also recharged them in a manner described elsewhere, without problems. So I am an advocate for this system to maintain the proper humidity in my instruments.  That said, I do not like and cannot figure out how to effectively use the "new and improved" center pouch method that's being shipped now from big retailers. (Note: Nearly all retailers I checked online still advertised the old box with the "old" double center pouch. I ordered from a retailer named after a rain forest and received the new system).

So, instead of the double pouch method that inserts simply on the sound hole sides of the upper and lower E strings, the new system has one pouch into which you're supposed to insert two humidipaks then seal with two plastic pieces.  The instructions then tell you to insert the pouch between the D and G strings.

I followed the directions. After some effort I managed to get two humidipaks into this new single pouch and to secure the top with the two interlocking pieces of plastic.  I carefully separated the D and G strings and slid the pack into the belly of the guitar.  My new 614ce is a grand auditorium. No matter how I adjust the plastic devices the pouch sits on the bottom  of the guitar and the plastic pieces are free to move around and rub against the finish of my new guitar.

The literature claims that the pouch is less likely to permit leakage, but I don't understand why they couldn't have used the same material for the double pouch system??  Since I couldn't trust online vendors to ship what was pictured, I went to a local store and bought the old system.

Has anyone else tried this new single pouch sound-hole system. Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Bill

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
I have not seen the new system but I note that even with what apparently is now the old two - pouch sound-hole system , they recommended draping the pouch over the G and D strings. I never understood this either since  the pouch sits on the  bottom of the guitar and the inner humidipack bags always get caught in the strings. So I always just drape the pouches over the E stings (as you described ) with the  openings facing the outside (DiAddario Label facing down).

The new system is not on the Di Addario site . Do you have pictures of these plastic pieces? Sounds like they took a step backwards with this "new and improved " system.
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

shorty

• Veteran Member
  • I love guitars way too much!
Bill
Would you please direct me to the process of recharging the Humidipaks?
THANKS!!
2014 Taylor 614ce Florentine/Blackcherryburst
2013 Benedetto Bambino Deluxe
2012Taylor BTO GS Macassar/Redwood
2012 Martin GPCPA4
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GS Cocobolo
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GC 12 Fret Koa
2009 Taylor 814ce TSB
2008 Taylor 654ce
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GA Koa
2005 Takamine EAN10ce

crashcup

It's a simple process. Note the picture. Small tupperware with wet sponge inside larger tupperware with depleted humidipaks inserted into a closed system--big ziplock freezer bag.  Be sure to get the ziplock bags without the sliding plastic piece. Freezer bags are air tight. But use whatever system you design. This is just how the system works.  I read about it in an Amazon review a couple of years ago and have done it ever since without any problems.

Bill

crashcup

Here's a pic of the new box. I have not been able to find this image on any of the major online retailers for these products. They are still using the old image.

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
I have a NGD inbound and was worried about this after reading your thread. At a local store I was allowed to open the box and look at the new system. I am with you Crash, I can't see it working very well.  I am now searching for a store with the old pouches available. If that doesn't work I think my Minis may go the oasis route to keep my solid wood guitars in humidapaks.
No doubt some planet waves employee got a bonus and promotion for this great idea.
If anyone is using these new ones safely please let us know.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Old or new version, it sounds like a project...I'll stick with my Oasis systems for all my guitars. Much simpler to use....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
I just received a newly redesigned D'Addario (formerly HumidPak) system from Strings & Beyond, and the sound hole setup still consists of two pouches.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke