Author Topic: Hello from Norfolk, UK  (Read 661 times)

obrienp

Hello from Norfolk, UK
« on: September 27, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »
Hi, I just bought my first Taylor on Tuesday.

I set off to Peach Guitars in Colchester intending to part exchange my 2012 Martin D28P for a Martin 000-18e Retro. The 000-18e was a pretty good guitar but it just didn't have any wow factor. It seemed a bit dead and I found the action a bit difficult despite the light gauge strings and performing artist neck. Also the much vaunted pick-up system sounded pretty ordinary piezo to me. I tried a reference 2014 000-18 standard to see if maybe all the electronics in the Retro were killing the acoustic sound but it sounded much the same.

About this point I was wondering whether it had been worth the 2 1/2 hour drive, when Al (the owner) came into the booth with a small 12 fret Taylor and said give this a try. Well I did and it just had much more zing than the 000-18s. The whole guitar pulsed when I played it. The action was much easier and plugged in it sounded like an acoustic guitar, no piezo tizz. I had been really sceptical because the back wood looked pale like maple and I was expecting it to be bright with no bass but it has to become of the most balanced guitars I ever heard. It's like mahogany and rosewood blended together: good bass, strong mids and defined powerful treble.

After much deliberation because the Taylor was £300 more than the 000-18e Retro, I decided to take the plunge. I am now the delighted owner of a 712e 12-fret fall limited edition. The back and sides are Blackheart sassafras and what an amazing tonewood it is. Bracing is something fancy off the latest 800 series and it has the expression system 2. It's a slot head, 12 fret and it is beautiful.

Shine on,
Pat

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Hello from Norfolk, UK
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 04:46:21 PM »
Pat, welcome. It's so cool to hear the stories of people who discovered Taylor and ended up with a exceptional guitar. I bet your 712e is beautiful. We've seen a few of the Ltd's here. Maybe you can post pics of yours?!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

obrienp

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 06:05:05 PM »
Hi TaylorGirl,

Thank you for the welcome. I can see from your list of guitars that you are a devotee  :)

I will try to post some pictures but I think it is going to be difficult to capture the beauty of this little guitar. You have to see one for real to appreciate the sassafras.

At the moment I don't think I am going to be able to raise the courage to gig it. Funny because the Martin 000-18e retro I was thinking of buying wasn't that much cheaper and I would have had no qualms gigging that. The irony is the Taylor sounds so good plugged in it is really asking to be gigged.

Kind regards,
Pat

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 12:40:27 AM »
 Hi Pat. Welcome to the UTGF. Congrats on your new 712e. The blackheart sassafras is beautiful. 8) Always good to have more members from the UK joining us. Glad you found us. Cheers. :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"