Author Topic: 414ce Strings  (Read 8446 times)

Bo

414ce Strings
« on: March 04, 2015, 01:14:24 AM »
I bought a new 414ce SLTD a few months ago and love the feel and tone it gives me.  It is also a beautiful guitar esthetically.  My only complaint about it is that it absolutely kills my fretting fingers.  I have several other guitars and none of them dig in like this one.  But the others that I play regularly are either electrics, or short scale acoustics with light guage strings.  I presume the issue is caused by a combination of greater string tension of the longer scale 414, and heavier strings.  I thought I would get used to it by now.  I'm using Elixir HD Lights (13-53).  Is anyone out there using 12's on their 414ce?  With what results?

Thanks,
Bo

Byrdsman

• Carpe donut
Re: 414ce Strings
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 07:26:03 AM »
I've been putting Elixir custom lights( 11-52 ) on my 414ce for 15 years. They sound great for strumming or fingerpicking and they're easy on the fingers.
Taylor 414ce
Taylor 524ce
Taylor GS Mini
Taylor 114ce

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 09:47:31 AM »
At the moment you're running mediums (13's) on a 414 (Grand Auditorium).  Taylor recommends lights (12's) on GA's and as Byrdsman said, even custom lights (11's) still sound great on a GA.  So you're definitely good going down a gauge, or even two.  Enjoy the ease of play when you do!
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Bo

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 12:59:41 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Next string change, I'll definitely give a lighter set a try.

See the attached article that resides on Elixir's website.

Bo

==============================================

The Story Behind the Strings

Taylor Guitars worked with Elixir Strings to create a custom string set that brings bolder highs and fuller lows to the Grand Concert and Grand Auditorium guitars.

One sign of a great guitar is its ability to sound like the same instrument from the lowest note to the highest note. In Bob Taylor's view, Andy Powers has a natural instinct for how to create that in a guitar (see sidebar), as demonstrated by the uniformity of character in the notes of the Grand Orchestra. A guitar's type and gauge of strings can play an important role in helping to express this.

For the 800s, Andy began by switching from Elixir Acoustic 80/20 Bronze Strings with NANOWEB® Coating, which we've been using for years, to Elixir Acoustic Phosphor Bronze Strings with NANOWEB Coating.

"The phosphor bronze strings have a nice, rich shimmer on the high end, with a richer, broader warmth overall," he says.

Andy and the rest of the product development team liked them so much that they made the decision to install the Phosphor Bronze sets on all of Taylor's steel-string models for 2014.

More specifically, as Andy looked to optimize the tone for each body shape within the 800 Series, he explored alternative string gauge options, particularly for the Grand Concert and Grand Auditorium. Andy felt the overall articulation could be enhanced by creating the right tension profile at the bridge. Or, as Bob put it: "He wanted more guts out of the high end."

"One of my favorite tricks in the past was to make this custom, hybrid set," Andy explains. "I'd use medium-gauge for the top two strings, blended into a regular light set on the low end. It gave me the bold quality that I wanted on the treble notes without overloading the soundboard with a lot of extra tension. I ended up with a little louder guitar that was also warmer on the low end."

While Andy was able to get close to what he wanted with his hybrid set, he wanted to fine-tune the calibration even more. A phone call to our friends at Elixir Strings led to some productive collaboration, and ultimately, an ideal solution. The result is a unique set, named HD Light, that blends Elixir light- and medium-gauge strings with a custom .025 gauge third string (a standard light-gauge G string is a .024; the medium is a .026). The specific gauging is: .013, .017, .025, .032, .042, .053.

The custom gauging serves to complement the construction of the Grand Concert and Grand Auditorium and creates an ideal tone profile across the bridge, as Elixir Strings engineer Justin Fogleman explains.

"The increased tension of the treble strings improves their articulation, balancing their voice within the mix," he says. "The interaction of the tension profile with the soundboard also adds to the harmonic content of the bass strings, creating a warmer, fuller sound."

Andy says the new sets are perfect for these shapes.

"The hand feel is incredibly balanced," he shares. "And knowing that I was going to get to use this string set influenced the way I braced and voiced the guitars.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:28:29 PM by Bo »

FDHog

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 03:41:51 PM »
I have a 414CE
That guitar should've come with 12/53's on it. I also have an 814CE that I run 12/53's on.
To top it off, I even run 12/53's on my 516CE. The 516 is still louder than the GA's and sounds great, but I need to make a slight adjustment to the truss rod.
The Luthier I go to, doesn't recommend running 13/56's. Over time it puts too much stress on the top.
I used to play mostly electric, and 13/56's are just too much for me.
814CE
414CE
516CE
1959 Les Paul Reissue
1960 Les Paul Reissue
2 Modified Stratocasters
and a few others

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 01:44:38 AM »
Hi Bo,
I too have a 414ce SLTD, and they came with HD lights, as your article says, .13-.53's. I must be used to them because they don't bother me much but I don't get to play my GA's as often as my Mini.
I think a set of lights would maybe help. Please let us know how it works out.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »
My 414 is of 2001 vintage and for much of its life it only had light gauge (12-53) on it.  A few years ago I switched to mediums (13-56) on most of my guitars, including the 414.  There was no ill effect, so you can go up or down a notch from standard lights without fear.  At most you might need a slight truss rod tweak.  I have to disagree with the luthier's comment above.  I recall past "Ask Bob" responses in W&S saying that mediums are just fine on GA's, and my experience bears that out.

Disclosure:  I have a set of HD Lights - a Road Show prize - but have never gotten around to putting them on anything.  I happened to get them right after a mass string change on most of my guitars, so no one has needed them.  Yet.  No prejudice, I'm just not going to take off a nearly new set of Elixir's just to try the hybrid set.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby