Author Topic: ahhhh...scratched my 816 !!!!  (Read 11825 times)

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
ahhhh...scratched my 816 !!!!
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:28:06 PM »
I know that  if you use a guitar , inevitably you are going to scratch it or ding it or whatever. But I am so mad at myself , for being so careless that ... well I am just so mad at myself. There is no good story here. Nothing that I can look back on 10 years from now and tell someone the great  story of how that scratch came to be. It wasn't during a jam or anything note worthy. It happened during a 5 minute practice session and I wish I could just turn the clock back.

This happened a while ago,  and I just haven't been able to face it. It's too embarrassing... Somehow, I put a 3 inch gash in the face of my guitar, in the lower bout,  behind the bridge,  in the process of taking it out of the case. I don't even remember exactly how it happened . I think that I took the guitar out of the case , slung the strap over my neck and reached back into the case to put my humidified back in or grab a capo , or whatever and , somehow... somehow  the top of case closed and the clasp hit the soundboard...  bump,  bump, ... scraaaatch .... OUCH.

I'll admit it,  tears have been shed.  I had almost gotten over it, but not quite. The good news is that its almost invisible when looking at the guitar straight on . But when I look over my right shoulder while I am playing ... there it is.  And last week at my monthly open mic night, when  someone said  "what the h--- did you do to your guitar" , it set me back.

So I have decided that I will contact Taylor, send them some pictures and see what my options are. Maybe,  I wont do anything but learn to live with it, but I need to see what the options and risks are. Certainly I don't want to trade a scratch for an obvious repair attempt , but we'll see.

Anyway, I wanted to share. Not for sympathy or anything, but just to remind you all to be extra careful. Don't do what I did.

I don't love any of my guitar children more than others , but thank god it wasn't the K26

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:40:43 PM by UTGF-Team »
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
Re: ahhhh...scratched my 816 "&^%#$%#!!!!"
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 09:49:58 PM »
You may not be looking for sympathy but mine you'll get because I know the feeling.  Cases closing on guitars is a horrible experience and I bet it's happened to more of us on here than one would think.

Did the scratch breach the guitar's glossy finish all the way to the wood? If it didn't, a good luthier my be able to buff the finish and make it so the scratch never happened.  Hoping the best for your 816.
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 10:42:44 PM »
It's not just guitar cases; you gotta watch that 9-volt battery too.  DON'T handle it and its carrier over top of your guitar (ask me how I know)...!  I carelessly turned the carrier over in my hand, and Mr. Newton took over; the battery fell out and landed on the lower bout of my 656ce, putting a few dings in the finish.  It really wasn't bad; but it bothered me -- probably for most of the same reasons it's bothering you:  it was a constant reminder of my carelessness...

On the recommendation of Joe at Empire Music, I sent my 656ce off to Pat DiBurro at DiBurro Guitars.  The guitar came back as good as new.  I'm sure Taylor can repair the damage, but if it's more feasible/convenient/cost-effective, I can recommend Mr. DiBurro's work.  Apparently he's one of the few folks outside of the Taylor factory that can properly re-work their UV finishes.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 11:02:03 PM »
Such a bummer, like timfitz63 said, don't handle anything over your instrument....ask me how I know....ha.

I got my brand new custom Northfiled mandolin last month with a beautiful hand rubbed varnish finish....on day two I was sitting practicing and decided to reach for my hygrometer while the mando was on my lap. It slipped out of my hand and crashed onto the top just above the bottom f hole and left a small dent......you'd think I broke it in two....  >:(

I know I'm going to get scratches and bruises but not on the second day.....  :'(

Harley

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 11:48:40 PM »
I've heard that Taylor can repair finish damage like that to the point of it being imperceptible. A friend of mine had the top to one of his guitars cracked all along the upper bout, and it was repaired by DiBurro. Even knowing that it was broken, you can't see the repair.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 12:18:22 AM »
Injured my 614 one month after purchase when the case lid crashed down on my  soundboard.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:18:43 AM by Jersey tuning »
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 06:45:27 AM »
Thanks for the post. It's a good reminder to us all. I feel bad for you, but have faith in Taylor. Let us know how it turns out.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 12:28:15 PM »
I feel for you. Done it myself. Yet they still send out tight cases and sharp, cheap brass clasps. Get it fixed, learn from it and move on with the music.
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 12:30:32 PM »
I'm here to tell you firsthand that Taylor can work miracles with finish-damages. While they will not guarantee to make it invisible, they are able to work wonders with this photo-cured polymer finish. I've had scratches repaired on a few of my older guitars through Taylor with great results. So take heart- they can help.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:17:35 PM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 01:10:42 PM »
There are a handful of local repair shops that are qualified to do Taylor-apporoved UV repairs as well
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 01:27:28 PM »
Well , the initial indications are not very promising after sending photos to taylor customer service. I didn't get into the details in my original (already too long ) post, but I had attempted a repair by a local Gold Level service provider ( who comes highly recommended by Taylor... he knows what he's doing) and he was able to seal up the finish, so you can't feel it, but you can still see it... more so from some angles than others and it is somewhat less noticeable than before. What I am not clear about is if my local guy did all that he could do or just went for a sealing repair rather than a full cosmetic repair. Taylor is now initially saying that since it has been attempted once, not sure there is anything more that can be done and maybe its not worth it to ship it and attempt again. I would agree with this if the expected outcome is just making it another degree " less noticeable" rather than making it go away.

Anyway , were still talking and I'll probably get Mr. Diburro's take on it as well. I'll post a picture and see what you all think. Maybe I'll get (and deserve ) a "just get over it buddy".
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 05:21:08 PM »
Sympathies anyway.  Hope it can be repaired to your satisfaction.  It is always harder to make a second repair come out well.  You usually only get one decent shot.

When I was 12 and begged for a new trumpet, it took all of three days before my little brother sat on it, bending a nice new instrument into an interesting bottom-shaped curve.  THAT was hard to confess / explain, and we both had to work off the repair bill.  So I get it..... and learned the hard way to NEVER leave it outside its case.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 06:46:44 PM »
Sympathies anyway.  Hope it can be repaired to your satisfaction.  It is always harder to make a second repair come out well.  You usually only get one decent shot.

When I was 12 and begged for a new trumpet, it took all of three days before my little brother sat on it, bending a nice new instrument into an interesting bottom-shaped curve.  THAT was hard to confess / explain, and we both had to work off the repair bill.  So I get it..... and learned the hard way to NEVER leave it outside its case.

Earl,

Did your brother not understand that a trumpet is much easier to play when you use your mouth?
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 08:53:01 PM »

Earl,

Did your brother not understand that a trumpet is much easier to play when you use your mouth?

Maybe he was confused by certain bodily functions that are euphemistically called "tooting...?" ;)
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 11:32:32 PM »
Naw, we were just messing around in my room as brothers do (probably making jet fighter noises and pretend dog fighting with some of my model airplanes) when he suddenly sat down on the bed, where the trumpet was laying down.  My bad, and lesson learned.  It sure hurt to see the disappointment on Dad's face upon seeing the damage.

The joke was eventually on my brother, though.  Each of my three younger siblings got to (had to?)  play that trumpet in turn, me being the oldest.  I am the only one who came back to music as an adult, but to guitar and ukulele this time.  I haven't played a trumpet since probably 1979.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby