Author Topic: cheap acoustic practice amp  (Read 5361 times)

rob4

• 214CE
cheap acoustic practice amp
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »
Anyone have a suggestion on a nice sounding practice amp that is fairly inexpensive?

Thanks.
2012 214CE for finger pick'in...

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: cheap acoustic practice amp
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »
My husband bought me the Fishman Loudbox Mini for Christmas and it's great. I love it and the reviews on it are wonderful.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 01:40:35 PM »
"Fairly inexpensive" is a relative term.  I am a fan of the Fishman Loudbox Mini, but the going street price is above $XXX.  (Hoping that won't need to be edited, since I'm just trying to establish a reference for the original poster).  You can find acoustic amps for less than that price, but (opinion) you'll be hard-pressed to find something that sounds as good for less.  I was in a music store a couple months ago and saw a Marshall AD50 for $XXX used - I almost bought it just because it was a hot deal.  Didn't figure there was any way to get it into the vehicle without my wife noticing.   ;)  (in the past, I have mentioned that she is supportive of my guitar vices - there are limits, however.)

Hit the music stores and pawn shops - the best deal is the one you are able to put your hands on.  I have heard of used Loudbox Minis going for around $XXX - haven't seen one of those deals myself.)

edited for price
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:38:21 AM by UTGF-Team »
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »
Probably not as "inexpensive" as the original poster is looking for, but I think you made some valid points in your post.  I do love my new amp  ;D (and thanks again for your earlier advice on it, Jim).  I used it in a gig a week ago and it worked just as I was looking for in an amp.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:08:05 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »
I agree with the assessment of the Fishman LoudBox Mini. Got mine used for less than X bills and couldn't be happier.

edited for price
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:39:18 AM by UTGF-Team »
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

American Red

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 11:57:01 PM »
Practice amp?
Practicing at home?
What size room?
Bed room?
Open Rec Room?
30 foot by 30 foot open garden room?
Poolside deck?

Cheap is the operative word..
Less than the price of three gallons of gas, if you can find one used.
All I can say is... "It is what it is"   at this price point, it really is something to grab..

I have found three of them, bought two of them..   All the same, but with different names on the front.
One says Fender and comes included with a Fender Squire.
The one that Fender is including in the cardboard box, is ready to go, sold as a kit.
This kit has the Guitar, amp, cord, strap and a few picks all for less than the price of 50 gallons of gas.
(Trying to be vague on the price)   

10 watts might be enough in one room, but 150 watts (75 watts per channel) might be needed on the pool deck.

There are a lot of small 10 watt amps with a 6 inch speaker.
(I bought an Epiphone Studio 10S for less than the price of one set of strings)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qCrydHIQqU

This amp is only three and a half inches deep (Skinny little amp) and less than 12" tall

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/7/9/6/6/796610/pics/_c551345_image_0.jpg

You probably want one that is bigger and heavier, but this sure is compact and powerful..
Would sound a LOT better using an Acoustic Guitar through it.
Also, the person in the Youtube video could use a few more lessons, but you get the point.. 

So, how much does three gallons of gas cost?
Each of the (used, but like new) 10 watt amps I bought were less than the price of three gallons.

How is that for Cheap?
I also have some much bigger amps, but you asked for cheap..
There is a LOT of value in this series of amp and the Taylor does well playing through it...

Try this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuVCluty6lU

More than you asked for..
You can find a lot more videos, but this will give you some details..
Demo starts at 3:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlKLCQOVFbw
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:53:04 AM by American Red »

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 08:16:40 AM »
While I don't understand why one would need to practice playing an acoustic guitar through an amplifier, especially since an unplugged acoustic guitar sounds much better than one plugged into the finest amplifier, PA or stereo system, the Ultrasound AG15 is an inexpensive amplifier of reasonably good quality. Unlike some of its competitors that only have a single speaker (typically around 6.5 inches in diameter), the AG15 has an 8-inch woofer and a tweeter.

http://www.ultrasoundamps.com/image-viewer-ag15.html

edited for price
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:37:02 AM by UTGF-Team »

imorroy

• I assess...
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »
I use my Roland Cube Street amp which I had bought to play in the parks and plazas. It has a power supply and runs on batteries as well. Great as a practice amp. Bought it on sale at GC.
612ce 12-fret
GS Mini
Pavan classical
G-String solid koa concert uke
Ohana solid wood concert uke
Kala tenor uke
Kamaka tenor uke

ebick

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »
My husband bought me the Fishman Loudbox Mini for Christmas and it's great. I love it and the reviews on it are wonderful.

Wait.....how do you know this????? it's not Christmas yet!  :)
2006 Taylor T5S
2011 Taylor 814ce
2012 Taylor 214ce-n
2011 Taylor GS Mini
2012 Blueridge BR-40
2012 Alvarez ABT60
1982 Alvarez Yairi DY-46
1980 Gibson ES-175
1976 Gibson SG
1992 Yamaha FG-420-12A
2013 Squier Jaguar VMS Bass
2014 Squier Jaguar VMS Bass V
2013 Dean EAB

American Red

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 01:33:43 PM »

Haven't you heard about the twelve days of Christmas?

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 02:56:34 PM »

I didn't say WHICH Christmas ;D.  But, your assumption was right, it was for THIS Christmas.  I discouraged my husband from buying it (I wanted to save the money), but he insisted (didn't take too much arm twisting) and we purchased it together.  He wanted me involved in the purchase, so it was no surprise.  Besides, I had to play guitar for my mom's Red Hat ladies, so he wanted me to have it before Christmas.  He's a very special guy!  :-*
Susie

e8n

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 06:12:50 PM »
I've got a Roland Cube 30.  There are several versions of this that are nicely priced.  They have a nice clean mode for doing some acoustic stuff.  I use it for pretty much everything from acoustic to electric to my keyboards and it does a very nice job for a pretty decent price.  I think there is also a 15 and 60 version of it.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

dangrunloh

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 08:28:05 PM »
While I don't understand why one would need to practice playing an acoustic guitar through an amplifier, especially since an unplugged acoustic guitar sounds much better than one plugged into the finest amplifier, PA or stereo system, the Ultrasound AG15 is an inexpensive amplifier of reasonably good quality. Unlike some of its competitors that only have a single speaker (typically around 6.5 inches in diameter), the AG15 has an 8-inch woofer and a tweeter.

http://www.ultrasoundamps.com/image-viewer-ag15.html

edited for price

I confess to liking playing my 414 very much plugged into a loudbox mini.  I can hear it better thru the amp than unplugged because my ears are not placed well.  They need to be about 15 feet away from me hear it correctly. I tend to play the trebles too loud when unplugged. Also I can boost the bass if I want.  Honestly it sounds great plugged in.  I also liked the AG-15 but preferred the sound of the loudbox.  I play with picks.  Thick ones.

I believe this practice may help me if and when I ever "play out" through a PA or amp. It takes a little practice to get the amplified sound to be good.  I notice I shift my pick zone closer to the bridge for plugged in playing.

Also it's fun.

--Dan

Robert M

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 12:28:17 PM »
I also use a Roland Cube amp. I use it to play in smaller rooms and have also used it outside. It has a power a supply and also runs on batteries which is great for outdoors. When I want a bigger quality sound I use a Rolland Acoustic Chorus.

But the cube is a great practice amp.

Bob

edited for price
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:51:06 PM by UTGF-Team »