Author Topic: Characteristics of a GS8  (Read 11723 times)

theguitarguru

Re: Characteristics of a GS8
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 12:48:13 PM »
Now, pretty hard to beat a GS8 fingerstyle with no amplification. The volume and bass resonance pretty much hard to match. I doubt you would have to replace the nut already if its a 2007
If you registered in this forum, you are my 2nd family

Crazyhair

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 08:26:39 PM »
2007 or not the nut has some pretty deep groves and the strings are so close the frets that I doubt if I could get a sheet of paper in-between the first fret and the strings.
Guitars have rescued the very sole and passion of my life!

Taylor GS8e
Gibson ES-355
Alverez 12 String
Gretsch  Electromatic
Epiphone Lucille

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 09:12:24 AM »
2007 or not the nut has some pretty deep groves and the strings are so close the frets that I doubt if I could get a sheet of paper in-between the first fret and the strings.

Check out this page to diagnose for yourself whether your Taylor needs a new nut: http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

Crazyhair

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 10:02:38 AM »

Check out this page to diagnose for yourself whether your Taylor needs a new nut: http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html

Yes, according to this the nut is too low!

Taylor GS8e
Gibson ES-355
Alverez 12 String
Gretsch  Electromatic
Epiphone Lucille

Satsuki

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 10:45:21 PM »
My GS8 does not like Light Strings nor does it like the Medium Lights.
It was built for Mediums and that's the gauge that sounds and plays
the best. My is great for Finger Style or playing rhythm. No matter how
hard I strum it doesn't break up or buzz it just gets louder! With Lights or
Medium Lights it's a different story.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 11:50:57 PM »
the body shape  of the GS was designed with medium strings in mind
but not specifically the bracing pattern (unlike the DN & JM)

in terms of tone & playability, each person will have their own preference
(i like d'addario EXP19s), so whatever is 'best' is likely to vary also
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 08:53:49 AM »
My GS8 does not like Light Strings nor does it like the Medium Lights.
It was built for Mediums and that's the gauge that sounds and plays
the best. My is great for Finger Style or playing rhythm. No matter how
hard I strum it doesn't break up or buzz it just gets louder! With Lights or
Medium Lights it's a different story.
Keeping in mind the nut is cut for medium strings, the string grooves are bigger and when you put lights on the guitar the strings will set lower.  You might very well not need a new nut, go back to the string gauge the guitar was built for and I think you problems will go away.  I have owned GS Taylors before and still own one, I tried lights on one of them and went back to mediums for better sound.  One problem was string buzz.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Crazyhair

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »
I found another thread that talked about using medium strings as well. I think you have the answer. I did change the truss rod a bit and got better results but when I had mediums it sounded much better. Any suggestions on strings, something medium but light.

Taylor GS8e
Gibson ES-355
Alverez 12 String
Gretsch  Electromatic
Epiphone Lucille

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 11:28:59 AM »
I am a long-time proponent and user of elixir's med-light set (in PB nanos) that uses the EAD from their medium set and the GBE from their light set.  This set offers most of the tension from a regular med-gauge set, and likewise the deeper/bigger bass notes, while offering easier bends and a higher-fret chording.  Like all things tone, each guitar is different so give it a try. 

FWIW, I've personally found that on my DNs and GS sized guitars, I ended up sticking with mediums.  But on GA and GC-sized I preferred the med-light set (true for present and many past guitars, so that seemed to have held consistent in my experience).  Let your ears and fingers be your guide. :)

Edward

dmccrider

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »
I'm finding that out and changing my style a little bit. I also found that if I use light gauge strings I get string buzz from Elixir light strings. The more I check out the guitar the more I see that it needs the nut replaced. I was also told that it was in mint condition.

Do you have this tool?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Measuring_tools/String_Action_Gauge.html

I've found it to be extremely handy at adjusting string action which is what I've found to be the biggest cause of string buzz. I would highly recommend this tool for any serious guitar player. In theory, changing string guage should change the action. I believe results can vary as to how much and whether it will have any affect on your playing experience but using this tool will help you adjust your truss rod so you can rediscover your sweet spot.

Also, if it turns out that your nut slots are too low you could consider having them filled and reslotted, you don't necessarily need to have the whole nut replaced.

(c) the GS8e tops are supposedly shaved to a gradual thickness, although tonal differences are negligible (if they exist at all).
According to what I understood from Bob Taylor, and later Brian Swerdfeger, the soundboards would be the same on the GS8 and 816ce. It was the thickness of the back and sides that varied between the two lines of guitars, not the tops. I say that in the past tense because Michaelw suggested that Taylor may have begun varying the thickness on both the acoustic line and the electric-acoustic line though I don't think that has yet been unequivocally established.

Thanks for sharing this information, I'd be interested in knowing more, I've scratched my head about this a number of times. It's a strange thing but so far, I've found every new GS8e that I've played to sound richer and have a little more volume than any new 814ce that I've played. Perhaps this is why? I don't know, it's all subjective anyway, but that's been my experience. Unfortunately for me, I prefer cutaways so I can play chords way up the neck but I've often wondered if there was something to the belief that cutaways cut away some of the tone. The jury is still out with me, I want to believe they don't, and don't get me wrong the 814s sound awesome too, but I do like the richness of the tone I've heard from the GS8s I've played.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
Do you have this tool?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Measuring_tools/String_Action_Gauge.html

Definitely an effective way to determine your guitar's action! ;) It's a great thing to have!
Cindy

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 07:50:04 PM »
Nice little do-it-all measuring card there.

FWIW, I got myself a 6" steel rule from the local DIY store years ago.  With gradations in standard decimals and metric, and of course marks in 64ths of an inch (the edge that I only really use), and at a couple o bucks, you can't miss.  A must-have tool, IMHO.

Edward

Satsuki

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 11:16:05 PM »
I never had a problem with strings buzzing with the Light Strings. The problem was the guitar did not sound as good as it did with the Medium strings. With the lights a small adjustment of the trussrod was needed.