Author Topic: My Taylor 320 Test Drive  (Read 2725 times)

GuitarDogs62

My Taylor 320 Test Drive
« on: July 15, 2015, 09:02:05 PM »
This past Saturday night I played on Stage at Albert Music Hall in Waretown, NJ. I first was part of the weekly jam and had my new Taylor 320 with me. Let me say that this Taylor held it's own in Bluegrass, Old Time Music and Country songs. That's all that is played in the picking shed at any given song going around the circle. My Taylor was heard loud and clear and I was able to get low end growls out with this guitar.
   That night I was asked to play on stage with a group and perform for the paying audience. I played and sang Wagon Wheel and knocked it out of the park. I played 5 other songs for this 30 minute set and the Taylor 320 stood and held it's ground without an issue. I was able to get volume without much effort and achieved nice base and clear and concise mid tones. In the picking shed in the jam I had to play in the high note end for one County song and the guitar was able to do this without any issues. I am very pleased and impressed with this guitar and after this past Saturday night where my guitars have to pass in performance in the jam and very proud to say that this Taylor is going no where but back to my home where I plan to play the day lights out of it and continue to allow this guitar to play in the weekly Saturday night jams.
Taylor 416
Taylor 526

ntotoro

Re: My Taylor 320 Test Drive
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 09:08:20 AM »
The 32x's fly under the radar more than anything in Taylor's current catalog. They're the most under-valued of the Taylor's, IMHO.

Nick
2000 Baby Mahogany
2012 GS5e-12 (Mahogany/Cedar w/ ES2 as a Taylor prototype)
2012 GAce-N-FLTD
2013 516e-FLTD
2015 526e
2015 326e SEB Baritone

GuitarDogs62

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 11:52:22 AM »
Well let's talk about this a little more, I used to own a Martin D-15M and was extremely happy with it for two solid years. Then one day out of the blue the guitar started buzzing. So I took it to my Sam Ash dealer where I bought the guitar and had them look at it. I do trust there one  tech/Luthier at this Sam Ash because he was a very good in his work. Sadly he has moved on. Back to the story, my guitar had to be re fretted. The one manager that i know pretty well told me the same thing happened to his as well. The guitar was repaired. The guitar had to be brought back two more times because it never sounded the same again. I got disgusted with this and used it as part of a trade in on my D-28. I loved that guitar very much, it was warm and always sounded just right. Also I had a personal connection with that guitar, my wife bought me that guitar to cheer me up. I had to make a decision in the Hospital about having my elder Mom go through needed surgery that possibly could kill her during the procedure or having her leg amputated. I chose the amputation and was really for three weeks depressed due to feeling who am I to make this decision for my mom. I remember so well telling my wife that I am not god nor do I have the right to make such a call for my mom. Please note mom had Dementia and I was forced into making the call that morning for her.

So here I am missing that all Mahogany guitar that I loved so well. So I told my wife I want another all Mahogany guitar again and went shopping. I played the Martin D-15M again and it sounded warm and peaceful. It was very comfortable to play (mainly due to playing that model for 2 solid years). I then seen the Taylor 320 and decided to give it a test drive. The 320 had a warm sound like the Martin but not as warm. I also noticed is was louder than the D-15M and could be pushed higher in volume if I wanted to where the Martin D-15M could not. I also noticed that I could really go in some heavy strumming with the Taylor 320 while achieving nice clear and concise chords and tones. The Martin D-15M would always die out at a point and just have all the tones just blend into one sound.

Both guitars sounded great flat picking, but the one difference I noticed was more bass response in the Taylor 320 over the Martin D-15M. Then I played the two guitars with the same Songs and both myself and the Sam Ash guy commented on the difference on the sound and like the Taylor as better.

Last factor was the build, The Taylor 320 was built well and looked like it was a quality build. The Martin D-15M is more a one piece build back and top together with no purfing at all. The Taylor has Solid Ebony for the Fret board and bridge and the Martin has East Indian Rose Wood. Taylor has 1.75 nut and the Martin an 11 1/16 nut. I took the build factor into play here because I was already a little gun shy of what had happened before with my last Martin D-15M having to be re-fretted. After almost 2 hours of going back and fourth among the two guitars the Taylor was the right choice for me.

This is one guitar purchase that I am completely satisfied with and know I bought the right one. The Martin is a nice guitar, but is out done by the Taylor 320 IMHO.

Lastly the Taylor 320 as I had written about played extremely well on stage and at the weekly Saturday night Jam that I attend. I brought the D-15M with me a few times but when leaving the house oppted to bring my Martin D-17M which I knew could be heard and could hold it's own in the jam.
Taylor 416
Taylor 526

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 12:37:16 PM »
I love the looks of the 320's. I entered the drawing for a Taylor 300 and a performer package, and when I win it, I'm considering the 320 and the 326. I already have a 314.

I also love the looks of the Martin all Mahogany models--they just look so old school and "vintage" looking. The binding on the Taylors adds a nice touch.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

ntotoro

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »
I've played a 326e and it is absolutely a fantastic guitar... not just for the money.

Nick
2000 Baby Mahogany
2012 GS5e-12 (Mahogany/Cedar w/ ES2 as a Taylor prototype)
2012 GAce-N-FLTD
2013 516e-FLTD
2015 526e
2015 326e SEB Baritone

Stringband Eric

• My website
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 08:17:05 PM »
Definitely like my 320.  Like you, I have had a Martin D-15M (and a number of earlier D-15 models along the way).  They are nice guitars, but prefer the Taylor.  In fact, the only reason it's not my main band guitar is I'm now playing 12 string in that setting.  So, for now, the 320 sits next to the couch and is the go to guitar for noodling and/or practice.

Eric P.
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa
1997 Taylor 420-R
2013 Gibson J-35

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 05:24:43 PM »
Here's a video comparing the D15M and the Taylor 320:

https://youtu.be/DsnyVIXN9ts
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

Fletchpic

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 11:58:20 AM »
Loving my 324. Tried a 320 at the shop, and it was equally impressive, but I wanted a smaller body so went with the 324. To me, these guitars sound much more expensive than they actually are (although for me, they aren't exactly cheap either) The 324 was also a little bit punchier with more highs, which I like for fingerstyle playing.