Author Topic: ES1 vs ES2  (Read 2949 times)

Fletchpic

ES1 vs ES2
« on: August 03, 2015, 07:38:43 PM »
I'm sure that this has been covered to death, but is anyone else thinking that the older ES1 system is better? With my portable Roland amp, the older system sounds better, but I have never compared the two using "real" amp. (I don't play plugged in much, but like to have the option...so that said, either is fine for me.)

It also seems to me that the older system is more sophisticated and probably more expensive.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:43:36 PM by Fletchpic »

MikeB

Re: ES1 vs ES2
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:05:25 PM »
One thing is for sure - the ES2 needs some adjustment out of the box a lot of the time, to get the 3 pickup heights just right.  After that, I think a lot depends on what you're plugging into - different EQing, for sure.

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 07:37:40 PM »
took me less than 60 seconds to hear that the ES2 in my 2013 FLTD sounded more like the unplugged sound of that guitar that the ES1 in my 2012 810 compared to it's unplugged sound.....all flat, no eq, through my bose L1.....
Music.....the Universal Language!

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 03:00:13 PM »
I hate the ES1.  The balanced output is a huge PITA, and the harmonic warble from the unwound strings is awful.  The ES2 doesn't suffer from either of these issues, so I'm waiting very impatiently for Taylor to start selling upgrades.  They suggest they might start offering upgrades for $300 around the first of the year.  Currently, they're only doing upgrades for sponsored artists.
Aloha!

milo_otis

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:51:37 PM »
I really really love the ES 1.3 in my K26 and think that it sounds wonderful and incredibly musical. A recent K26 with the ES2 sounded great unplugged, but dead when plugged in.The ES 1.3 in my 522 12-fret sounds musical and good, not nearly as good as it sounds in the K26 but better to me than the 522's with the ES2. However, the ES2 with the revoiced 800 series sounds great! IMO the wood combos respond better to certain systems differently (better). The old maple sounded wonderful with the ES1 whereas the the new maple sound good with the ES2.

The irritating thing to me though is that Taylor has a pretty limited warranty on the electronics and the ES2 reqires three sizable holes through the bridge, bridge plate and top wood for the sensors in addition to the holes for the bridge pins/strings. My point is, what do you with a lifetime guitar with an obsolete and/or broken pickup system that has to be removed? What if you want install an other brand pickup? Fill in those three holes with dowels, replace the whole bridge or just keep the sensors in there? I don't know how much forward thinking was done on Taylor's part. As much as I prefer the Taylor tone, feel and playability, I have to admire Martin for allowing the buyer to choose whether they want electronics installed or not (by a qualified tech) and which type they want without having to special order an electronic free guitar.

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 09:37:21 PM »
I really really love the ES 1.3 in my K26 and think that it sounds wonderful and incredibly musical. A recent K26 with the ES2 sounded great unplugged, but dead when plugged in.The ES 1.3 in my 522 12-fret sounds musical and good, not nearly as good as it sounds in the K26 but better to me than the 522's with the ES2. However, the ES2 with the revoiced 800 series sounds great! IMO the wood combos respond better to certain systems differently (better). The old maple sounded wonderful with the ES1 whereas the the new maple sound good with the ES2.

The irritating thing to me though is that Taylor has a pretty limited warranty on the electronics and the ES2 reqires three sizable holes through the bridge, bridge plate and top wood for the sensors in addition to the holes for the bridge pins/strings. My point is, what do you with a lifetime guitar with an obsolete and/or broken pickup system that has to be removed? What if you want install an other brand pickup? Fill in those three holes with dowels, replace the whole bridge or just keep the sensors in there? I don't know how much forward thinking was done on Taylor's part. As much as I prefer the Taylor tone, feel and playability, I have to admire Martin for allowing the buyer to choose whether they want electronics installed or not (by a qualified tech) and which type they want without having to special order an electronic free guitar.

The ES1 is fine until you want to run a wirelsss or something that doesn't allow for a TRS cable with an impedance matching transforming adapter.  That, or you're fine with a half gain signal.  You also have to be OK the harmonic warble from the unwound strings.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:57:12 PM by MrHarryReems »
Aloha!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 11:30:40 PM »
I've had all three version of the ES, and do concede that ES v1 (with the AA batteries) left much to be desired, but version 2 is quite good (with little EQing can be made to sound excellent), and ver 3 sounds excellent straight up.  I have never, over different guitars over the years, ever heard this "harmonic warble."  I don't use an amp and am always plugged into a house system, so through the console and PA of whatever place I'm at, I've always managed good acoustic tone.

Moreover, I used to used a balanced cable many moons ago, and now simply go unbalanced into a Baggs Venue (though long ago, a Baggs PADI), then into the house system.  Again, always got a good acoustic tone through the house.  With any decent DI box, I've never found the signal too weak, nor heard any sonic detriment whatsoever to using the unbalanced signal (unless you use a long cable, but I'm never longer than 15').  These are my experiences, take them for what they're worth :)

Edward

Fletchpic

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 01:02:34 AM »
The holes do bother me a bit...I never thought about it until I tried changing the saddle on my new 324. I hardly use the electronics feature, but like having the option for the fun of it. That said, my next guitar will likely be an older model without an ES2. (Unless a windfall of $$$ helps me buy a new 814 or 614!)